Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gotta be something I'm missing.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Gotta be something I'm missing. Reply with quote

1641dp 34 pic carb. I was running a 009 dizzy and it idled perfect but had the flat spot. So I ordered a vacuume advance from mid America installed it today and the car started every time but refused to idle. Since my dizzy is 180 degrees out the vacume was almost hitting my fuel pump. So I took it out and put the 009 back in timed it and the car starts great but won't idle no matter what I try. Please help
darg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: idle Reply with quote

Might try to adjust the fast idle screw on the carb.Will it idle when you apply a steady push on the gas .
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta be something I'm missing. Reply with quote

Darg, you don't touch the fast idle screw on a 34pict carb, its all done with the mixture screw and the air bypass screw.

cakelley wrote:
Since my dizzy is 180 degrees out the vacume was almost hitting my fuel pump.

You can install the distributor in any orientation you like you just have realign the plug leads to suit, you don't have to line the #1 up with the notch.

one of mine the dist drive was a tooth or 2 too far anticlockwise and the condenser hit the fuel pump so I installed it 90 degrees clockwise to stock.

With the stalling make sure there is no crap caught in the idle jet.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the electrojet on the carb operating correctly, and connected to the positive side of the coil?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cakelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know on the dizzy install, so it rotor doesn't have to line up with notch. just make sure the plug wires are right. very nice. solenoid is on positive side of coil. i will check my jets in the am. carb is brand new so I didnt think they would be a issue.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read about clutches- "brand new" isn't what it used to be- but back to your problem- If you are trying to run vacuum advance and your choke throttle screw is being used for idle- there is a chance the vac curve is kicking in- this usually results in climbing idle speed but might be a good place to point your timing light when you fire up- that might give you a quick check of your ignition. The two are very similar malfunctions.

Might try the high vacuum created when you slap your hand over the carb when revved to 2000. sometimes clears the crap especially if you back out the adjuster screws first to give the crap a release.

Another way to see whats going down the carb is to use your timing light as a flashlight looking down the throat of the carb- it shows the fuel flow in "stop motion" Get to know what a correct spray pattern looks like so you will recognise a bad one.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unscrew your idle jet on the right side of the carb and clean it out.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Read about clutches- "brand new" isn't what it used to be- but back to your problem- If you are trying to run vacuum advance and your choke throttle screw is being used for idle- there is a chance the vac curve is kicking in- this usually results in climbing idle speed but might be a good place to point your timing light when you fire up- that might give you a quick check of your ignition. The two are very similar malfunctions.

Might try the high vacuum created when you slap your hand over the carb when revved to 2000. sometimes clears the crap especially if you back out the adjuster screws first to give the crap a release.

Another way to see whats going down the carb is to use your timing light as a flashlight looking down the throat of the carb- it shows the fuel flow in "stop motion" Get to know what a correct spray pattern looks like so you will recognise a bad one.

I like that answer
it's up in the venturi vac range

maybe just futz ing around has introduced (or even unconsequential) carb idle circuit issue.

how the fuel filter

maybe its the same crappy fuel as before the new carb,
or some other issue not addressed

is the dwell still correct
brendo907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you accidently unplug the wire for the idle solinoid doo-hicky on the side of the carb?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brendo907 wrote:
did you accidently unplug the wire for the idle solinoid doo-hicky on the side of the carb?

I think that was addressed earlier, but not as eloquently as you stated.

Cusser wrote:
Is the electrojet on the carb operating correctly, and connected to the positive side of the coil?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
brendo907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, proper terms wins again
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brendo907 wrote:

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed and was calling it an "ignition controlled electromagnetic idle shut off solenoid" all . Rolling Eyes these years. OR "iceidsos"

Or "ice i do sos."

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: