Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubbing compound between single-stage coats?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Rubbing compound between single-stage coats? Reply with quote

I have 2 layers of the Paintscratch.com (lacquer-based?) single-stage spray on part of my 1983 Vanagon, and it's starting to look good. Both coats went on quite 'dry', leaving a rough, sandy finish which I've successfully wet-sanded down with 1000 and 2000 grit paper and it's getting quite smooth.

But before I apply coats 3 & 4, can/should I use a rubbing compound, as one might when using a basecoat/clearcoat system? I fear the oils, etc. in the rubbing compound may prevent good adhesion of subsequent paint coats. Can I simply wash the compound off with soapy water afterwards?

I'm just doing the A-pillars and front hood area above the upper grill, about 60 x 12". If using rubbing compound between coats, should I use a DA detail polisher or do it by hand?

BTW, the Paintscratch.com spray color was an EXCELLENT match, even for my 31-year-old paint! With selective masking to some nearby contour lines and a bit of hand-feathering on the edges, I think I can get this (my FIRST) touchup job to pass inspection at arm's length ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use better paint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you still need a minimum 600 grit for the next coat to adhere to. I personally wouldn't put anything other than the water you're using to wet sand. I would also make sure you're using a slow enough (probably could use super slow) hardner to ensure that paint is getting a chance to flow out. This is of course provided that your spraying in the right temp range, pressure, gun settings and distance.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all!

I probably should have mentioned for those who don't know them, that Paintscratch.com primarily sells color-matched paints in touch-up pens and spray cans. So, I'm really only trying to get the best rattlecan spot repair I can (full prep and pro repaint will come next year ...). So, I don't have any control over the mix or gun settings.

On their BC/CC system, the mfr. recommends buffing compound on the final basecoat before applying the clearcoat, so can I presume it's safe to do so between coats on a single-stage?

Appreciate the advice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not use any compounds between base coat & clear coat. Get a scratch pad, fine will work, scuff the spots, recoat with paint & spray the clear on as it were paint. Let that dry & polish. I did a bike tank that way & looked great. If you want spray a couple of coats of clear on before polishing.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be concerned that buffing between single stage coats will make the surface too smooth for the next coat to adhere properly. Any gloss will prevent adhesion.

If you're just spray painting touch up repairs, I'd just apply the recommended amount of coats within the manufacturer's specified recoat window and cut/buff the final product.

If you want to sand in between coats, I'd wet-sand with 400 or 600 grit. Unless the areas you're trying to match have a deep shine its probably not worth it.

On an unrelated note, if you're getting a dry finish, it probably means that you're probably holding the can too far away and the paint is drying before it hits the panel and not flowing properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: