Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia speculation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most of us attracted to vanagon/westys are comfortable with the under the radar factor combined with being in the elements. That is key to these vehicles, having somewhere comfy to crash but not so big that you end up hanging out in a box. We all do enough of that anyway, so with our smaller escape pods its really about enjoying the outdoors and hanging it out there. No thanks to the Sprinter, just too big and I am 6 ft 5.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:

Well, I doubt Mercedes-Benz is going to put it in their dealerships, they disavow all knowledge of the Sprinter in the US, because it doesn't fit their "upscale clientele" business model here, same way we'll never see the little economy Benz's ... "Mercedes doesn't do trucks, you peasant."

I was watching Jed's Morocco videos last night, and I was thinking, "No way would I have attempted those roads in something the size of a Sprinter."

Hmm...so who has been selling Mercedes Sprinters in the US for the past 4 or 5 years? (hint: starts with M and ends with s)

A Sprinter 4x4 will go anywhere 'Jed' has been, with less worry of breakage, and more comfortably. There are tons of them being used as expedition campers. Maybe most (including myself) wouldn't want the huge Elvis' hairdo hanging on top but otherwise it's a perfectly manageable size.
FWIW, Mercedes showed their own proposed full camper version of the modern Sprinter at an RV show last year, so don't think they are beneath building and marketing such a beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit... NM... realized who I was responding too and no desire to beat that dead horse again.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me

Last edited by TequilaSunSet on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I wouldn't keep my 84 Westy forever is the lack of power steering. It's certainly not going to get any easier to turn in the coming years.

After several "camping" trips in the Westy over the past year, I have my wife pretty much talked into the "Get a Syncro with an engine conversion and a pop up trailer" plan for when we retire. It's too much work to have to stow everything when you leave for the day, then redeploy when you get back at night.

I hope I don't have to just install power steering in our current one (with a converted engine, eventually), but if this price trend continues, that might be our future.

We had never seen nor heard of the Jucy rentals until our PCH trip last year. Boy, those things are popular!
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

& here is the full details specs & pictures from some of her past travels if any of you might be interested....shes a fine van Smile...cheers all Very Happy

http://4x4westfaliajamescook.wordpress.com/
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several reasons I will shortly be selling my westy that I spent the last 16 months restoring, I believe I am like most here in that the amount of money spent both now and what I have put into it over the years is about double what I will ask for it. Yes, I will ask a decent price, but to act as though its a greedy venture is laughable.
Syncros are of course higher priced, but considering the high price of admission it makes sense.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Google on < Marco Polo van >

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/covet/Covet-Mercedes-Marco-Polo-Camper-Van.html

highlights:
Westy like configuration, but with super hi end materials
gas or turbo diesel engines
claim of 39 MPG (&!)
camper model $69K, "weekender" model $49K
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xriss55 wrote:
& here is the full details specs & pictures from some of her past travels if any of you might be interested....shes a fine van Smile...cheers all Very Happy

http://4x4westfaliajamescook.wordpress.com/

WOWZER!

I'll just come out and say it - the James Cook is without doubt the sweetest looking camper van I have ever seen. If that was available in the US for $70,000, I would buy tomorrow, and happily sell my Westy to help pay for it.

Yes, I know sentimental attraction to old cars and all that, but beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, and I call the James Cook beautiful. Check out that website, and be sure to click on the various photo links at the top to get the full view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing MB camper in Mazatlan around 1982. I was enamored.
Might have also been the bikinied Euro owners....anyway
James Cook may not be the best model name here on the Big Island.
Sad demise.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing MB camper in Mazatlan around 1982. I was enamored.
Might have also been the bikinied Euro owners....anyway
James Cook may not be the best model name here on the Big Island.
Sad demise.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very disappointing commercial for the Marco Polo; its not very explanatory and the music's lame-o...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb1CJ8EiY8Q
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have to agree with Karl on the sprinter, I have not seen any roads in jeds vids that a sprinter could not navigate. I don't ever get the if its not a Vanagon I don't like it mentality. Vanagons will always be my favorite vehicle, but I think anything that gets you out there is very cool...the cooler they are the more price the attract, and vanagons are dam cool.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
For several reasons I will shortly be selling my westy that I spent the last 16 months restoring, I believe I am like most here in that the amount of money spent both now and what I have put into it over the years is about double what I will ask for it. Yes, I will ask a decent price, but to act as though its a greedy venture is laughable.
Syncros are of course higher priced, but considering the high price of admission it makes sense.

In my view you are not being greedy if you advertise it and try and recover the amount you have spent on it, other than for routine maintenance costs. You may not achieve this price, but why wouldn't you use that as a starting price unless you needed a quick sale?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: