Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing new vents
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Installing new vents Reply with quote

Got kind of a dumb question, but I'd like to avoid breaking these plastic parts if I can help it.

Trying to fix the defrost situation in my '70 bug. Getting closer, got a new set of vents - http://chircoestore.com/vent-fresh-air-vw-bug-beetle-1968-1970-left-right.html (plus the center one)

But I can't get them to seat down, they like to hover with the lip ~1/4" up, just loosely in there. I've tried pushing them down and pulling from inside the trunk. Getting close to cutting a piece of wood to length and beating them in with a rubber mallet... but I'm concerned that'll just make them crack.

Is there a trick to this?
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a dash pad on your car? If someone removed the dash pad the vents will stick up to where they would have been flush with the dash pad.

Ray
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash pad still intact (well, sorta, it's seen better days)

The vents just kinda float in the hole... I mean, I know ideally what should happen. There's clips that should engage the metal dash and hold it in. Just questioning the amount of force required.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Might take them out and file down the retaining clips and add a little sealant on the trunk side.
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "pipes" that snap on the vents need those raised areas to snap onto and hold them on. I think I would measure as best I could to make sure the vents are not too wide or something. Sometimes the aftermarket pieces don't fit too well.

Ray
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windfish, I know exactly what you are taking about! Mine have been sitting loose in the vent holes for at least eight months!

The flange is long enough with little clips to attach the duct work under the dash, but there are pesky little final raised parts right at the base of the part that sits flush with the dash JUST WONT GO!

I'm thinking about filing those parts down too. I also thought about using a cheap hair dryer to soften the plastic hopefully enough so to make it pliable to get it into the hole.

I'm excited to hear what other people have done...

Should the vents be installed before or after the dash?

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on the stock flaps on my 76 bug the little plastic clips that stick out engage in the plastic tube that connects to them and not the metal dash
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
At least on the stock flaps on my 76 bug the little plastic clips that stick out engage in the plastic tube that connects to them and not the metal dash

Curious. I got my new vents from jbugs. I wonder if their vents have extra tabs. I'll! Have to get a picture taken someday soon.

SOLD:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my follow up:

These pictures show the long-skinny tabs at the bottom of the vent. It is my belief that these are supposed to connect to the duct work behind the dash. The middle portion of the vents have the fatter wedge-style tabs that I believe should allow the vent to seat snug on the metal dash. The dash should seat between those wedge tabs and the flat flange that goes all the way around the vent.

Is this correct? Or am I crazy? Any tips on install or should I just try to file or heat?

SOLD:

windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, hate it when a topic is left unresolved when a resolution was achieved.

These things are the problem -

They just stick out a bit too much. I suppose it's possible you can make it work without modification, but I couldn't make it go in.

Took a dremel and sanded a little off each nub on one side, the middle tab hinges so it's fine.

And tada.

The middle and passenger side vents still stick up a bit, but /shrug.

I got one of the 'blemish' dash pads from WestCoastMetric, so I'm not positive if it's just missing a little padding in those areas or if the new vents are just shoddy. Probably a little bit of both.

At least they're seated all the way down now.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird this is coming up so much now.
I answered this question here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609709

there is a trick to it. You gotta insert the vents at like a 45* angle and slide them in place, coming from the mifddle of the dash and pulling them toward the outside of the car. Squeeze the vent a bit, it should slide those tabs under the metal opening, then you can wiggle them around and push them in place. Helps if you or a helper are holding the ducting elbow in place on the other side.

Placing them in the hole and pushing down DOES NOT WORK. It will only cause frustration. I replaced mine a while back with some cheap ones from CIP1 and have had to do it like 3-4 more times since then everytime I have to take the air box or the ducting elbows down to get at something else. This method has worked everytime.
It's not super easy like magic, but it works with 5 minutes of cussing.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a bit older topic I posted around a month and a half ago but never went back and updated. The new topic you posted in reminded me of it.
I hate searching old threads that described my problem but never had a resolution, so on the rare occasion I figure out something (or kludge to make work) I try to remember to go back and update so the thread isn't just left hanging.

Shame you didn't see this thread ~ a month ago, I kinda figured there was a trick to it 'cause they were not seating down.
Now there's two methods in this thread :P
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: