Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Money hungry liars
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Money hungry liars Reply with quote

Im outside one day working on my 71 super, when a guy comes up to me, the guy says "Im looking to sell my 66 bug, it has no engine and needs paint but it's solid with no rot and has a clean registration" he said he would sell it for $800 and I told the dude that I was interested and asked when I could check it out, he told me in a week because he needs to move it around his shop. I wait a week and call him he says "I just started painting a car and its gonna be about a month until you can see it". Rule 1 of trying to sell your stuff, don't try to make it seem like your doing the buyer a favor, granted my super has just been retired for a resto and id really like something else to drive but still. So one month later I see the car listed on craigslist and here on thesamba so I called him up cause I really liked the car. He says ok and to come look at it, so I do. I get to his house and this guy has probably over $80,000 worth of cars in his yard between old dodges a few other vws (karmann ghias type 3s etc.) and a bunch of other stuff. So im looking at the bug and I first check the pan, the whole front suspension beam was rotted through, I pointed it out and he said "theyre only $400 new anyway" ok... so now I check the interior which is pretty complete except for rugs and the seats needed to be upholstered but that dont matter much to me. There is rot in the drip rail twoards the back and the cowl under the truck and once again, rotted to hell. I tell the dude the problems and reluctantly say that Ill still give him $800 for it despite not being what he told me. This asshat who told me that he would sell me a solid bug for $800 now said "I wont sell it for anything less than one thousand" and as another added bit he said he had a clean registration, nope it was signed in his name and he would have to go to the dmv to clear it. I tell him I only had $800 and reminded him thats what he promised but he still said he couldn't do it. I tell him thank you for letting me see it but I cant do it, as im about to leave he has the audacity to say "if it doesn't sell im going to cut it up and sell it as scrap and sell the interior" so for $200 you would be willing to chop up a beetle that I wanted to save and put back on the road. so that ruined my day, but I'm probably better off now without it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run, Forest, Run!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move on and exert your time and energy on something else. Can't save them all.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now you know why he...
Quote:
has probably over $80,000 worth of cars in his yard between old dodges a few other vws

He's not a seller.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he dies- and a neighbor complains of the smell 2 weeks later, you'll be able to buy that car from the local Probate court on a sealed bid. $75 if you're patient should do it.
Meanwhile, you can at least hustle up a code enforcement officer visit. Have fun with it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seller is certainly a cruel bastard. Evil or Very Mad
He should be imprisoned for ruining your life like that.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Meanwhile, you can at least hustle up a code enforcement officer visit. Have fun with it.

Those kinds of things often have a way of backfiring.

Find something more important in YOUR life to focus your energy on. They made millions of these things and unfortunately inconsiderate parents made millions of people like him as well.

Forget about it enjoy the finer things in life.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure- take the high road (as usual) Dr. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a period on it close the book.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: