Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hotel staff observations
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Hotel staff observations Reply with quote

We talked to hotel staff at a major chain in a resort area about the guests. This particular hotel hosts all types of car shows,motorcycles,music festivals,Fiats,Chevy,Ford,Corvair,Harley Davidson, Gold Wing etc, etc. So these employees see multiple groups, old young, men,women, blah blah.

So then we asked who or what group is the most easy going/pleasant ? She answers VW people which I'm thinking is just so predictable because we happen to be in the middle of a VW show at the host hotel. Ok? But I've been going to these shows myself for well over twenty years and have yet to witness any bad behavior. Case in point as a vendor at the end of the day I don't break down or cover the parts and displays at all,we leave it unattended all night someone could steal but amazingly it has not happened yet . The only boorish behavior we've seen is littering, leaving beer bottles laying around and people letting their dogs shit wherever.

Then we got around to the least favorite hotel guests and without hesitation she named the Chevrolet corvette owners. So this is by no means a scientific study just the observation of hotel staff in a resort town. If you are a corvette aficionado take this with a grain of salt and be nice to the staff ok?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens when you "Wrap your ass in fiberglass" Laughing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hilarious. Our local club got special permission to have a club show on the grass at a local park, they then scheduled a Corvette show. Next year, we won't be able to, because rumor has it, the local Corvette club wrecked the grass and didn't take care of anything after they left. Our club was commended fro our care of things and got one more year- making us the only car club in Idaho to be first and last on the grass at this exquisite park. There is likely more to it- but that's the story I heard- and I like it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for an aviation museum that hosted car shows in a parklike setting amongst the planes, yes Corvettes were #1 on the "oh no....not those pricks again" list followed closely by Thunderbird clubs, Mercedes and other high end German clubs were #3 and British cars were #4 although most of them were nice and cleaned up after themselves, it was just the snooty/extra picky attitude some had that left a bad taste afterwards. Datsun and similar Japanese clubs were high on the nice list but that was pre ricer crowd so there's a whole new attitude with some of those guys now. The Detroit product types were also the worst for disregarding the ropes and climbing on or standing thier kids on fragile "don't touch" displays, "keep out means everyone but me".

Almost all of the top 3 wouldn't even think of helping a fellow owner if he limped in to the show or his car wouldn't start or broke afterwards, it was like a "serves you right........me first........I'm looking out for #1 and your problems mean nothing to me......bye!" sort of thing, you'd never see that at any sort of VW gathering. I've never met a VW person I really didn't like, it's the complete opposite for some of those other marques, I can use one hand to count my friends there. and I only hang with nice people.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working at a resort/hotel for a couple of years I have my opinions as well.

#1 on the worst. Amway. They always tried to get everything for free, complained about the stupidest stuff, and never tipped. In fact all those multi-level marketing pyramid fools were the worst. Gerbalife was one of the regulars that held meeting at our place, God they were so needy and fake.

#1 on the best. Drunk guys going to an ELKS convention/gathering. Always tipped amazing, never complained, and often would include you in their jokes and fun times. For instance a group of guys paid me $100 to put a snake in a guys car. 1 hour later the guy calls the front desk and I get paid $50 to take the snake out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some experience with the 356 community, we got charged for use of an extension cord at our host hotel for a slide show Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Jacks on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:

#1 on the worst. Amway. They always tried to get everything for free, complained about the stupidest stuff, and never tipped. In fact all those multi-level marketing pyramid fools were the worst. Gerbalife was one of the regulars that held meeting at our place, God they were so needy and fake.

There was a time I knew the Amway presentation by heart. I would set-up their room, and then I would have to stick around until it was over so I could re-set it for the next day's events.

Most of the guys they had were just horrible. It was always funny when they would get to the part where they tried to explain how their "multi-level marketing" worked, because it was obvious they didn't really understand it themselves.

And, you're right, they were cheap bastards. The room was never big enough, they never had enough coffee, there wasn't enough ice in the water, and they were always pissed when 9/10's of the chumps walked out without buying the little Amyway Junior Starter Kit, so they would take it out on me.

The best ones were the military reunions, especially the WWII guys.

The absolute worst were the volunteer firemen coming in for their annual training. They would hit town and spend their days burning down a couple of old houses, but in the evening those guys would go nuts. They would get blind drunk and then get into fire extinguisher fights in the hallways (after they drained all the ones at the hotel they go get them off their trucks and keep going), they would pull the fire alarms, they would turn on their sirens at 2AM, it never stopped with them. They rented every room though, so we just let 'em go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a company picnic about 25 years ago. Guys drinking free beer all day. One guy got really wasted and shit his pants so his friends put him in the dunk tank, you know the kind where you throw the ball and he falls off a chair into the water? Fun times I wonder why companies don't have parties like this any more. My wife worked for a major insurance company and they used to sponsor a Christmas party that was byob. And people stood outside smoking weed. I miss the old days don't you?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: