Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerson5057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Electric help Reply with quote

So I want to get my 74 inspected, but the last problem is the lights. everything works fine (break, turn signals, and headlights) besides the hazards when the lights are out. When i turn on the hazards both my turn signal lights inside the car turn on solid. But but when I turn of the lights the right side turn signal turns on solid in the front and back, and the break light and maybe the running light stay on in the back.

Also another problem that happens is the oil and break light will come on in my speedometer gauge, but normally when i accelerate the lights will turn back off so Im not sure what is going on.

What I am wondering is are these easy fixes? and if not what would be a fair price for me to pay someone because there is someone who lives in my neighborhood who i know who has his own business vw shop, but i dont wanna get ripped off.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy fix. Sounds like you have some wires crossed either in the front turn signal or the rear taillights. In the technical section here on the samba there are wiring diagrams. It will probably take a newbie an hour or two to sort it out, but should be an amusing time and you will be so much better able to fix your car when you are done.

I love those cheap circuit probes. Just a light bulb in a pointy screwdriver with a ground wire. A couple of pokes and you know you which wire is hot.

The running lights do not need the car on to test. Using flashers you don't need the car on to test those circuits. Both break lights and turn signals need the car on. I disconnect the hot wire from the coil to make sure I don't burn points when I am have to turn on the car to chase electrical problems.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric help Reply with quote

Emerson5057 wrote:
When i turn on the hazards both my turn signal lights inside the car turn on solid.

This is interesting since the stock dash only has a single turn signal bulb which is used for BOTH left and right turns. It sits in the center bottom of the speedometer between the Oil and Gen lights.
Troubleshoot turn signals with the dash indicator disconnected. When everything is working normally, reconnect the indicator.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: