Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Primer Queen rides again! A 1974 Super and a clueless owner.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Primer Queen rides again! A 1974 Super and a clueless owner. Reply with quote

I have been stalking these forums for far too long, and its FINALLY time for me to add something! Perhaps a bit premature, but I'm waayyyy too excited, for I've got my eyes set upon a real beaut and I'm gonna make her mine! She happens to be a 1974 Super Beetle. Body is primer, but she used to be red. Her owner currently owns two other beetles [and is a member here no less, though I saw the original ad on craigslist] and did some pan replacements and other things. And everybody I've talked to about this decision has been against me. Why?

I'm 17. I'm in college. I work for well under minimum wage [servers get paid $2.23] and only three days a week, soon to change because my dad, who can find his way around a car, is getting out-of-country orders and I have to help my mom with my siblings. I am trying to finish getting my private pilots license [eexxppeeennssiivvee]. I currently drive a quite dependable '98 Honda Civic with no real problems. I have never worked on cars EVER BEFORE. I can't drive stick. And oh, did I mention this was going to be my daily driver? Laughing

On the flipside--I'm completely willing to learn. I've got my How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive and Bentley manual on my bookshelf. If I can fly a plane, I sure as hell can learn how to drive stick. And now that the subject of beetles comes up in conversations, I am finding out just how many people pop out of the woodwork with the beetle know-how. And oh boy am I stubborn.

The Primer Queen is not quite reliable yet. She sat around for ages and her gas tank needs replacing, along with a big list of little things [bearings in the steering wheel, wiper fluid bottle, headliner, trunk hinge, etc.], so we'll be trailering her back. That and the fact she's not tagged. My dad tried to say he didn't need my help and I shouldn't go 'cause if there is traffic, I'll miss my afternoon college class, etc etc etc...like I'm letting that stop me! Come 8 this Friday morning, I'll be in the Suburban while they hook up the trailer, and when I get to class, I'll be floating on air. This weekend is a three day one so I'll have plenty of time to spend with her. Wink

This thread will be about all the things I do to this car [good and bad.]. I tend to be quite long-winded, so I wouldn't advise reading this thread if you hate reading. Rolling Eyes It will also become picture-heavy the second she's on the trailer because I've got a thing for photography. It will also contain my cries for help as I stumble upon the unknown! If you are experienced in speaking Volkswagen, you will probably laugh at me [I thought the brake fluid reservoir was the wiper fluid reservoir...oi]. If you are new as well, you'll probably cringe with me [I feel like many mistakes will be made.]. I've always loved reading, and I hope this thread can be an enjoyable read or whatnot...who knows!
-Alex

Side note--Don't you worry about those nice new pans, I've got a winter beater for when the road salt comes--the Honda will be long gone, but my dad won't be needing his minivan anytime soon... Twisted Evil
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have such an enthusiastic and articulate and photo happy member.

I'm going to try to save you some cash right off. You said you were going to replace the tank. A lot of us have cleaned the inside of the tank with acid (muratic or phosphorus) and coated the inside with stuff made for that pupose. I used RedKote 3 years ago and I have nothing clogging the fuel filter so it must have worked.

John Muir and Bently are the only two manuals I use. One is good at setting things factory perfect and one is good at getting you home when you break down. I carry both in a waterproof box under the front seat.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Primer.

I also have a 1974 Super Beetle.

Take some pics so we can opinion your new obsession.

Popcorn

Tim
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Glad to have such an enthusiastic and articulate and photo happy member.

I'm going to try to save you some cash right off. You said you were going to replace the tank. A lot of us have cleaned the inside of the tank with acid (muratic or phosphorus) and coated the inside with stuff made for that pupose. I used RedKote 3 years ago and I have nothing clogging the fuel filter so it must have worked.

John Muir and Bently are the only two manuals I use. One is good at setting things factory perfect and one is good at getting you home when you break down. I carry both in a waterproof box under the front seat.

We were considering it, but ultimately they [my parents] decided to buy a new one. Rolling Eyes Partly due to the chemicals and my three younger siblings, partly because they would rather spend $180 on a new tank...? I'm still a bit confused about that. They did pay for half of the car, and I will admit I won't be able to buy half the things this car needs without their help, but... I dunno.

I am thinking about cutting the spine off the Muir book [like the book itself recommends in the "how to keep this book alive" section] and putting the pages inside page protectors inside a binder. Overkill? I figure, if I'm working on the car and my hands are a mess, replacing one page protector is a lot easier than replacing the book. The Bentley manual was friggin expensive and therefore shall sit in a locked glass case on its own shelf in the corner. Laughing

Tim Donahoe wrote:
..take some pics...

Careful what you ask for! I actually got yelled at for taking pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Loading...seeing her drive up the driveway was great! Drool

Obligatory on-the-trailer shot! Had to wait the entire trip for a hard right turn that put more than just the extreme right of the car in my view.

I was like "Hey, I should take a picture of the car behind us!" but when I turned the muscles in my back were like "Nooope!"

Finally back home. I had an hour to have a heart attack or two [horn wasn't working, car wouldn't stay on] before leaving for my one class of the day. When I came home, she was already in the driveway...

And this was the first thing we did. They had gone to the DMV while I was gone, so I got my temporary tags and the car registered and titled in my name. Problem is, she failed the inspection because of a high beam that was out and emissions. Apparently, she failed the latter quite miserably. They stopped testing because that's how bad it was.

And this is why she wouldn't stay on. I picked it up to take a picture, but my finger wasn't quite sealing it, so all the crud got on my finger.

Minus a gas tank.

Now, everyday I will come home and see that. Very Happy Cheers me right up! OH BY THE WAY I CAN'T GET THE REAR SEAT BACK IN. Dear lawdy it was so easy to take out!

I found this on the door, along with lots and lots of spider egg sacs, and the PPPO's title. The car's owners can be traced back to '91, and its had 3 owners since then, not including myself. According to the guy I bought her from, the PO had titled her, ran her for a year, and let her sit until he got her. I found the title, and that was in '95. So she sat for about as long as I've been alive?

Some bearing or something in the steering wheel needs to be replaced. I wouldn't have even known that, but the guy said it to us, so I'll take it?

I'm terrible, I didn't know that beetles had cigarette lighters. Confused Although I don't think I could plug the GPS in there and expect it to charge. Pffffffff

It looked innocent enough until the whole works exploded out when I pulled it a bit.

I guess there was either no radio or an aftermarket one, so a stock one was put back in...and hot glued back in slanted? Doesn't look too nice. When I move the volume knob, there are huge bursts of static. I just bought a cassette adaptor today [also, the car!] and it works! Surprisingly! So I think I'll just leave it in. I kinda like the look of the stock radio, but it will need to be righted.

One HUNDRED and twenty thousand- something miles! My Civic has almost 150,000, and its a '98.

Nice dash, right?

Well, ITS A LIE!

Original dash is badly cracked.

WHO PUT THIS THERE? Smile

PO said "Well, I want to add something...", knocks out the little piece, then says "...nevermind."

Good to know.

MY fuse box has a fancy plastic cover!

I think this miiiight be a problem.
"Yes, my accelerator pedal goes aalllll the way to the floor!"

LOOK AT THESE FLOOR PANS.

Look nice from underneath, too.

Seats were spray painted....WHO DOES THAT.

What's all under the rear seat.

How concerned should I be? Surprised I know its the heater channel connection thing, but--The other one had a cover over the holes. Does this side need that too?

Folding down the back of the seat is easy enough.

I didn't know about that thing, either.

But its much too warped to be of any use.

All the back seat belts and buckles were under the seat. They are too corroded to even work, and even if you were able to jam the part into the buckle, there is no guarantee you could ever get out of it without cutting the belt. Or just pulling real hard, the belt would probably snap. Good thing I commute alone!

Mmmm, engines. Its a 1600 DP and that's all I know.

What is this and is it missing anything? Laughing I'm terrible.

Please tell me this is nothing important. Why is it not connected? WHYYYYYYY?

Turns out, that high beam issue wasn't a bulb...It's a wire. And we don't know yet the extent of the issue. Luckily, I'm in electrical circuits classes right now! So I have to go out tomorrow with a multimeter and pretend I know what I'm doing, as this is the first week I've had the class.

That face... Smile You can see how the trunk doesn't sit level. I kinda like how the interior parts are red. It reminds me of that scene from the Herbie movie, where he had teeth and whatnots. There is a trunk-or-treat at my brother's school, and I am going to give her some teeth and scare some kiddies! Twisted Evil

This was to remind myself that this really happened. Laughing

So anyways, that's my huuge pile of pictures. I probably won't be sinking my thread with this many pictures in one post ever again. Not to say there wont be lots more, because there will be! But I just had soooo much to take pictures of at once.

Few new problems we've come across. I have a little list of things that will hopefully get done:
-Need to fix the horn. It currently sounds like a foghorn.
-Need to find the problem wire for that headlight.
-Need to fix drivers side vent window. The rubber part twists, but the metal arm wont budge.
-Need to fix locking mechanisms, or at least grease them some. The passenger side can only be locked if you are inside the car. I put the key in the door and it just doesn't budge.
-Need to get it to pass emissions. This is gonna be my daily driver, I KINDA NEED IT TO PASS!
-Need to work with that trunk hinge. Dunno what its problem is.
-Needs new rubber. All of it is cracked, some are so baked that they are hard. Not quite crumbly, but certainly getting there.
-Needs some clip thing for the accelerator to keep it from escaping.
-Needs a bottle for the wiper fluid.
-Needs a fire extinguisher.

Things I am planning to do/get that aren't entirely pressing, or are cosmetic:
-Disc brakes.
-Paiiiinnnnt. I'm thinking of bringing her to a shade of maroon or somewhere along the red spectrum, so somewhat similar to original. I do not plan to have any of the interior areas re-painted.
-Overriders.
-Eyelids. Very Happy
-Seat covers. Those spray painted seats make my legs sweat something terrible! Laughing
-Rear window defroster needs to be connected.
-Some way to fix the bumper? She looks so sad!

That's all I can come up with right now. Keep in mind, I just bought the car this morning! My list of stuff is downstairs and I am too lazy to open the stupid baby gate. Tomorrow...the heavy cleaning commences!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stuff you need you can get off The Samba Classifieds. Rear retractable seat belts, that missing dash plug (which has to be installed with the dash plate removed).

Your trunk hinges look straight; the very front of the hood appears tweeked, however.

That little white box with all the wiring tabs in the engine compartment was for an archaic VW dealer computer plug in. Pay it no mind.

You're missing the pre-heater tube on the snorkle of you air cleaner. That tube looks like the other two fat tubes for fresh air as you're looking at the engine. It hooks to your pre-heater pipe in the tin at the bottom pulley.

Wire-wheel or sand and primer and paint your frame head--the big rusty piece that looks like a hammerhead shark, under the front of the car.

You have too many 16 amp fuses. You should have only two. The rest are the white 8 amp fuses.

Push the ash tray back in and leave it alone.

My back seat is a bitch to get back in, too Embarassed .

That "lie" on top of your dash--the plastic cover--can be glued on to look quite nicely. But you have to clean up the dash for the glue to stick, removing that VW button and all dirt, first, then take care to install the cover properly.

Replace the rubber engine seal--for the deck lid. It's cheap, and easy to put in with silicone grease brushed lightly in the chanels, first.

That "U" shaped portion on the bottom of your gas pedal? Make sure the roller on the gas pivot pin is inside that U. The pedal looks okay. Why bend it backwards?

The engine looks pretty decent. You're missing a few fresh-air tube seals, and there is a hole in your lower tin that will let hot air in the engine compartment.

That holey metal "Y" thing in the rear seat is connected to a Bakelite tube that is obviously broken. So getting one with a new one with the cover will not cut it, unless you can fix this by fabbing a tube to connect the two pieces.

Definitely get a rubber sleeve to cover the positive post on your battery. When someone with any decent weight sits down on the rear seat, the seat springs will ground out the battery and cause a spark--or fire.

Tim
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start.
When I first got my 74, was in California, . I took to have smogged, only to discover it had NONE of the requisite emissions stuff. So, I pieced together what was needed, took it in and it passed fine.
Not sure of the requirements in Delaware. Other than the headlight, did they state why the car failed?

In so far as you ash tray, you could put it back in and forget about it, or turn in at space into a more functional space and replace with a cup holder.

Many tongs are possible.
Good luck.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-reading your original post, I noticed something you mentioned. You said you only made $2.23 per hour. How is that possible?

In California, servers make the full minimum wage, then tips on top of that. Just because servers earn tips, that does not release employers from paying the legal minimum.

Apparently, the restaurant lobby in Delaware provides lots of money to their representatives.

Tim
GJ780662a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The federal tipped minimum wage is $2.13. States can choose to require more than that. About half don't require anything above it.
dansivilli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in really nice shape - mostly original. Congrats
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky u, dont see starters that rust free & complete very often, when I refurbed them most were about like that at best, most no eng but if u plan to get back to as like new as u can u dont need usable stuff u r going to discard anyway.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Lucky u, dont see starters that rust free & complete very often, when I refurbed them most were about like that at best, most no eng but if u plan to get back to as like new as u can u dont need usable stuff u r going to discard anyway.

if u r as good @ resto as u r @ txting u cars must b gr8. Wink
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Most of the stuff you need you can get off The Samba Classifieds. Rear retractable seat belts, that missing dash plug (which has to be installed with the dash plate removed).

Your trunk hinges look straight; the very front of the hood appears tweeked, however.

I thought it was hinges 'cause the passenger side one didn't rise smoothly. If its the hood itself, I can understand that better, as the whole front end shows some signs of damage. The front apron is bent in slightly, the bumper is stuck at an upwards angle, the passenger side hinge rubs against the body, and the whole hood just looks wonky!

Quote:
That little white box with all the wiring tabs in the engine compartment was for an archaic VW dealer computer plug in. Pay it no mind.

Ooohh. See, originally I thought that the fuse box was the computer plug in. Embarassed

Quote:
You're missing the pre-heater tube on the snorkle of you air cleaner. That tube looks like the other two fat tubes for fresh air as you're looking at the engine. It hooks to your pre-heater pipe in the tin at the bottom pulley.

So I'm guessing I need one of those? Surprised

Quote:
Wire-wheel or sand and primer and paint your frame head--the big rusty piece that looks like a hammerhead shark, under the front of the car.

Will do! I picked up some Rustoleum primer and paint yesterday.

Quote:
You have too many 16 amp fuses. You should have only two. The rest are the white 8 amp fuses.

Gotcha. Found the owners manual on here and it has only has 9 and 10 as 16 amp fuses. I got a couple of both amperages of fuses so I'll replace 11's 16 amp with an 8 amp.

Quote:
Push the ash tray back in and leave it alone.

Yes, mother... Sad

Quote:
My back seat is a bitch to get back in, too Embarassed .

I decided that I was never going to take more than one person in the car anyways.

Quote:
That "lie" on top of your dash--the plastic cover--can be glued on to look quite nicely. But you have to clean up the dash for the glue to stick, removing that VW button and all dirt, first, then take care to install the cover properly.

Why would I remove that? Dontcha know its a special edition Wolfsburg crest model? Laughing

Quote:
Replace the rubber engine seal--for the deck lid. It's cheap, and easy to put in with silicone grease brushed lightly in the chanels, first.

Don't need to ask me twice! Very Happy That is one thing that I noticed was missing in all the beetles I've looked at. I think we are going to get all new rubber for the car as most of it is in pretty bad shape, so I'll definitely take care of it.

Quote:
That "U" shaped portion on the bottom of your gas pedal? Make sure the roller on the gas pivot pin is inside that U. The pedal looks okay. Why bend it backwards?

When you press down on the gas pedal, the rubber moves around a bit, and when I pulled the rubber off, the rest of the pedal came down with it.

Quote:
The engine looks pretty decent. You're missing a few fresh-air tube seals, and there is a hole in your lower tin that will let hot air in the engine compartment.

Please point it out to me because I have been staring at my engine and I have no clue what I'm looking for. Confused

Quote:
That holey metal "Y" thing in the rear seat is connected to a Bakelite tube that is obviously broken. So getting one with a new one with the cover will not cut it, unless you can fix this by fabbing a tube to connect the two pieces.

First thing that came to mind when I saw it was PVC pipe. Laughing Would it work?

Quote:
Definitely get a rubber sleeve to cover the positive post on your battery. When someone with any decent weight sits down on the rear seat, the seat springs will ground out the battery and cause a spark--or fire.

Yup. Wait, what rear seat? Battery terminal cover was one of the things on my list that I forgot to write on here.

Quote:
You said you only made $2.23 per hour. How is that possible?

My tips ARE supposed to make up for that missing chunk. But for the most part, they don't.

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Other than the headlight, did they state why the car failed?

Emissions. I didn't go to the DMV, so I'm not sure of exactly what they said, but that was the summary I got. If you wanna know just how badly she failed...On the paper, it said that the hydrocarbon limit was 600 ppm. And she was putting out 4000 ppm. Ouch.

Quote:
In so far as you ash tray, you could put it back in and forget about it, or turn in at space into a more functional space and replace with a cup holder.

Tempting...

GJ780662a wrote:
The federal tipped minimum wage is $2.13. States can choose to require more than that. About half don't require anything above it.

Unfortunately. Originally I was going for a cashier position, but nobody was hiring.

I got some work done! Decided to wire brush the trunk while the gas tank is out. Started with this:

And now it looks like this:

Found our first spot of cancer. Two little pinholes in the area where the gas tank sits.

I tried with the spare tire as well.

Please tell me these are easy to reseal...

I am using lacquer to remove all the grease and whatnot. Comes off pretty easily, but I have to wait until I get a respirator because the fumes are absolutely killing me. After that, we will primer and paint the inside, and by the time its all finished, the gas tank should be here. I'll be keeping the inside of the trunk red.

I solved my problem with the inoperable high beam! I went to the fuse box with a multimeter in hand and saw this:

Bought a little box of fuses and threw them in there. When I turned it on, none of the lights came on, which about gave me a heart attack. My dad confessed to disconnecting the grounds the day before, so we reconnected them aaaaand it works!

Gas tank should be here by tomorrow or the day after. I'm gonna be a bit mad if it comes before I get the trunk finished because it is driving me mad that I haven't driven this car yet once. NOT ONCE. I have been very tempted to throw a gas can in the trunk, hook up the fuel line, and drive around the neighborhood...but I'm not that crazy! Laughing She is quite the spider magnet. I open the trunk and I see a huuuge cellar spider just strolling around. There are spider webs everywhere on her. I could let the Honda sit for two weeks and it wouldn't have nearly as many webs as she does in two days. Plus, her current paint kinda reminds me of a black widow. But anyways--once the gas tank comes, I'll start driving her to work. I'll still drive the Honda to college, as my college is 20 minutes away on the highway, and my work is 5 minutes away on back roads. Once I get any kinks worked out, I can start driving her to college as well. I figure there will be something as she sat around for about 15 years, if my calculations are correct. There is an exemption for the emissions test--as long as I have put $75 down in emissions related work, they'll let her slide.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"After that, we will primer and paint the inside, and by the time its all finished, the gas tank should be here. I'll be keeping the inside of the trunk red. "

Be sure to treat that surface rust w/phosphoric acid before you primer and paint!

This stuff works well, follow the instructions before primer and paint:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-8-oz-Rust-Remover-and-Inhibitor-MR08-6/202935859

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those plugs in your trunk are re-sealed, using caulk. Clen them up first, primer and paint.

Look at the first piece of engine tin you can see when you open the trunk. Your big, fat fresh-air tubes go down into it (and require rubber seals where the tubes meet the tin). You should have no open holes in this piece, as open holes allow hot air into your engine compartment.

Remove all the rust. Your "after" pic shows more than your "before".

Tim
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Be sure to treat that surface rust w/phosphoric acid before you primer and paint!

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Remove all the rust.

I have Rustoleum lacquer thinner and rusty metal primer. Good enough, or no? Anything else I have to do to prep the body?

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Those plugs in your trunk are re-sealed, using caulk.
Ok. What about the caulked lining all the way around the inside of the trunk? A lot of it is hiding rust. What exactly is it for?

Quote:
Look at the first piece of engine tin you can see when you open the trunk. Your big, fat fresh-air tubes go down into it (and require rubber seals where the tubes meet the tin). You should have no open holes in this piece, as open holes allow hot air into your engine compartment.

Ooohhh. Wait, I didn't know that was considered engine tin! So is that the piece they talk about when they say don't get a beetle with missing engine tin? Surprised Crap, maybe I should be studying all the parts of the engine so I don't look like a complete idiot...I feel so stupid because I swore that the bottom piece wasn't supposed to be there. Embarassed Aaaanyways...I'll get a better picture when I get back from my college classes.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a textbook list for your Beetle Survival Course. It's a 4-credit lab course, so get ready to burn the midnite oil. As always w/college textbooks, look for the used deals and you'll save a chunk of change Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagon-Owners-Manual-Mai...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service-...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-air-Coole...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Volkswagen-Beetle-En...+vw+beetle

And of course, what VW book collection would be complete w/out this. Not required reading (some will disagree), but you must have a copy on your shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step--...+vw+beetle

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Here's a textbook list for your Beetle Survival Course. It's a 4-credit lab course, so get ready to burn the midnite oil. As always w/college textbooks, look for the used deals and you'll save a chunk of change Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagon-Owners-Manual-Mai...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service-...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-air-Coole...+vw+beetle

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Volkswagen-Beetle-En...+vw+beetle

And of course, what VW book collection would be complete w/out this. Not required reading (some will disagree), but you must have a copy on your shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step--...+vw+beetle

Four credits?! I'm already at 14! Sad Jeez, it's almost like you want me to work on it in my spare time! Since its a lab, I guess I'm gonna need to buy my materials, too... Its a good thing I have two of those books already!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, u want a scholarship or something?? Geez, this is THESAMBA!! Nuthin's free but the advice! And the trolling of course!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
noah2burchell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When you press down on the gas pedal, the rubber moves around a bit, and when I pulled the rubber off, the rest of the pedal came down with it.

If you mean that the pedal lays back like it is in the one picture then it is supposed to do that so don't worry about that. If it is doing something else i am sorry for wasting space Laughing

Original flat window 1302 Super Beetle
Primer Queen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against my better judgement, I went ahead [read; was forced] and lacquered the trunk without a respirator. I don't have any pictures of it yet because it was kind of dark out by the time I finished, but I do have some other pictures... Wink

I decided to crawl under the body to take a picture of that engine tin.

Holes? What holes? What is supposed to go there? It looks like stuff is missing.

And then there's this--

How do I even---What do I even--

Looking around my engine did help me find this ridiculousness:

I believe it is the distributor wire that goes to the spark plugs. Oh, no, I didn't pull it out. I FOUND IT LAYING THERE. And I doubt that it just fell out while the car was sitting there. Oh mein gott.... Mad

I found THIS as well...

Its all wedged behind everything! There's another one a foot or so from the gas tank, that's the one we already pulled 'cause it was just so filled with crud. But this one has to go.

My muffler is super rusty looking.

And then there are these:

They supposed to look like that?

And this--THIS--

I'm not 100% sure...but that's a bit too close to the heater channels for my liking.

Oh, and this, too.

Now that...That's my heater channel, isn't it...

Also found this.

It looks too neat to be rust, and its too far up to be a hole for the trim...

I replaced the fuses for 11 and 12 with 8 amps instead of the 16 that were installed. I cleaned off the original dash a bit. It took a very large wad of paper towels and turned them all black, and it still doesn't look all that good. Removed what looked to be padding from the rear seat from the crescent vents.

I've been noticing that the primer is very easy to chip around the edges. It also reveals some decent looking red paint. That's got me thinking--I'm probably not going to have her painted for some time...and I would want to bring it somewhere back to the original paint color...Should or shouldn't I try to bring back the OG paint? My dad said its not possible, that by "bring it back to original" they mean they are just painting it, but I've looked on here and people say they've done it. The engine tins look pretty sloppily painted, like they were just spray painted without being removed. So is it fair to say the body was probably the same way? He said that lots of work was done to the body, so if that's true, does that mean there will be huge patches that will need repainting? Either way, the car will need to be repainted. I know that removing that top layer is going to be lots of work and time, but I already knew the car was going to be just that when I got it.

Soooo worth it, though.

Gas tank comes tomorrow. Going to wake up and primer the trunk area where the gas tank sits before going to my one college class of the day. Then I'll probably come home, paint the shelf [gas tank shelf, that is], and wait for my dad to come home and help me with the tank.

And then I'll finally drive. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: