Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI conversion transmission mount
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: TDI conversion transmission mount Reply with quote

For my M-TDI '88 Vanagon conversion, I have the earlier engine mounts with the rubber isolators at the ends. I'm using the stock Vanagon transmission. Can someone tell me which front transmission mount I need? Apparently there were several, and depending on the combination engine/trans (5-speed, 4-speed, early or late mount bars) one will work and one will not.
I've searched through many posts and cant find anything definitive, and I'd rather get it straightened out before hanging the engine/trans.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a stock tranny nose mount that does what you need without modification.

Also, if you move your trans forward to work with the 81/82 diesel engine bars then you will also need to rework your rear linkage rod.

Mark
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understand right, the early bars WILL move my trans forward from its stock location, so probably will need to shorten, and re-weld the stock trans mount, and shorten/reweld the same distance on the shift rod?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 81/82 diesel bars do position the engine and thus the tranny forward from the later position. In addition to adjusting the length of the rear shift rod you need to look at how close the rod will come to hitting the frame crossmember when in gears 2 and 4.

Mark
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the '82 bars with the stock WBX trans, you should use the stock WBX trans mount, but flip it 180° on the cross member and cut the clearance necessary on the bracket that mounts to the trans. Then move the cup forward on the shift linkage and you are done. It all fits fine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you weld? Since this is your initial install, I'd be inclined to relocate the mount brackets on the carrier bars backwards. If you search my username, I have photos of my early carrier bars modified for Saab mounts. If that does not interest you, here is my modified 091/1 mount to work with the earlier carrier bars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was able to drill a new hole on the driver's side of the bracket mount about an 1 1/2 back. I then cut off the passenger side and using the bolt as a support made up the above adaption. Again it is welded. There were some slight clearance issues that required modifying the bracket above where you can see. It consisted or grinding away some of the bracket where it interfered with the firewall.

I would also point out, the original diesel transmission in 82 was mounted "Up" compared to the aircooled and WBX transmissions. From a side view the engine looks like it has a load in it's diaper. I did not attempt to rotate my 091/1 transmission up. No problems that I have noticed. I may have shortend the splined shift rod some too.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run several long-term with the nose in the stock WBX location without issue.
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you guys all very helpful information. Yes I can weld, have a mig and tig (not a super welder, but can do any fab work). I'll go out and have a look at things after lunch.

This morning's activities were: I pulled off the bellhousing, did the shorten by 10mm mod on the input shaft, and am beginning to clear out unnecessary WBX wiring. Hopefully this afternoon have the diesel bellhousing bolted up, and my pilot bearing and new WBX clutch disc should arrive in the mail.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take pics. I live vicariously through others right now, as my project is on the back burner again, due to project overload

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mean you can't run the transmission in the stock gasser location, only that you should pay attention. Notice the CV flanges are moved. My bracket pieces were made from flat stock, nothing fancy.
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Looks like you and Andrew basically accomplished the same thing, just using different methods.
I'll take some pics of things and try and post tonight or tomorrow.

So, RSXSR, if I eventually go with some nifty hydraulic mounts (I saw your page on that a long time ago BTW) then I could basically move the engine/trans back to its stock (WBX) location, and use the stock unmodified WBX trans mount. If I'm understanding right, that would probably be ideal, since the CV location is moved using the methods you and Andrew described above. i.e, one could locate the hydraulic mounts back further on the carrier bars, thus moving the engine back to its original location.

Sounds to me like 6 one way, half dozen the other....Andrew says no problem moving engine/trans forward, but you rather have it rearward, if using custom hydraulic mounts.

I just marked the mount to flip it 180 deg, and will cut it for clearance. Seems easiest for now. I'm all about getting this thing going:)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the engine back might run into smaller problems at a later date, exhaust, coolant hoses etc. All solvable, but you won't know until you attack it. The factory mount brackets are welded to the tubes. It would be possible to grind the welds and just move them back and reattach. Then continue on with your conversion. I get wanting to complete it. In my case, I was upgrading the transmission after I had made the Saab mounts and the custom engine brackets. Dealing with the transmission mount and the shifter seemed the least impact at the time.

Not sure what you mean about flipping the mount. Not sure how much you gain doing that. I modified the bracket that bolts between the trans and the flex mount.

edit: Check the classifieds. There is a member selling new aftermarket engine bars. Worth looking into. He has adapters as well for hydraulic mounts. Look nice in the pictures.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Not sure what you mean about flipping the mount. Not sure how much you gain doing that.

If you flip the mount around 180° on the frame rail, it shifts the mount to the front of the van the correct amount (or close enough) so that the engine mounts and aluminum mounting brackets line up. There is an easy amount of clearancing necessary to the bracket and you need to move the shift cup forward the same amount, but that is all there is to it.

I actually prefer that engine/trans location a lot more than having it shifted to the back of the van. Timing belt access is much easier and there is more room for the exhaust and getting a wrench on the crank pulley when the exhaust is in place.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pic of this flipped mount?

y u rune klassik?
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Take pics. I live vicariously through others right now, as my project is on the back burner again, due to project overload

I call it project mayhem and I am a self proclaimed Project Idiot!!

It is a horrible disease that I don't wish upon anyone
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Do you have a pic of this flipped mount?

I've posted them up on this forum before, but I am lacking the wookum to find the post...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you have, as well. I'm old and have shit for brains in the memory dept. Since I'm contemplating swapping an 091 for an 091/1 anyway, it's probably a moot point in my case.

y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the wookum... Here's a pic:

When it is bolted up in the stock position (see rsxsr's pic earlier in the thread to see the mount in the stock direction), the mount is moved to the back of that crossmember with the center bolt for the mount closer to where the ground strap is bolted on. The bracket is clearanced so that when it is moved forward it doesn't hit the cross member.
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Build Reply with quote

Here's the beast. '88 Westy. WBX motor wore out. Rest of the van generally good condition. Pretty stock, Bilstein shocks, soon to get Audi A4 wheels and new springs. Excuse the filth.....she's been sitting in my yard for quite a while. Overdue for a thorough cleaning.

Wore out Wasserboxer.

Out with all the old CRAP! Its really amazing how much wiring and ridiculous complex cooling system gets discarded when doing a M-TDI swap.

ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos.
This is the AHU M-TDI going in. It sports some upgraded Bosio injector nozzles, but really other than that and the M-pump its pretty stock.

G60 flywheel, (recieved some great tips from Andrew on how to deal with the two un-accessible oil pan bolts hiding behind the flywheel. For now, in the interest of getting this project going, those mods will have to wait. Hopefully I dont have to pull the pan Shocked
I made a sheet metal dust plate in two pieces like have been posted several times on these forums before. I will use a VR6 pressure plate with 228mm WBX clutch disc. I'd like to get the input shaft from (Europe only I believe) which uses a TDI disc. But in reality my setup is probably more than adequate.

Diesel pilot bearing.

Input shaft with 10mm removed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: