Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CarFax
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: CarFax Reply with quote

So funny catching the seller's on a lie.

Car #1 seller "No accidents and I'm the original owner" me: "You sure? 2 accidents and you are the 3rd owner" seller "Ahhh... oh yeah" me: "Still there?" Laughing

I got approved for a loan but have little idea what to get. Been having to much fun with CarFax. I still have 29 days to search vins Twisted Evil
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just depend on CarFax when buying a vehicle. CarFax gets its info from the police and/or insurance company. If someone drives their car into a tree, brick wall or whatever, then takes it home or to a garage and gets it fixed on his/her own dime without an insurance company getting involved that incident won't show up on the CarFax report.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Don't just depend on CarFax when buying a vehicle. CarFax gets its info from the police and/or insurance company. If someone drives their car into a tree, brick wall or whatever, then takes it home or to a garage and gets it fixed on his/her own dime without an insurance company getting involved that incident won't show up on the CarFax report.

Absolutely! The car I am going to look at this next week has won two car shows. So the damage has been repaired after being hit in the rear. Just wanted to make sure it tracks straight so I don't go through set's of rear tires.
Bugdog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold a vehicle that I owned for over a dozen years, which I had bought from a dealer when it was 2 years old, a lease turn-in. I printed out a carfax report on it, which stated that it was a "one owner" vehicle. I suppose that technically that's correct, but still when I sold it I told the buyer about the lease and that I considered myself to be the second owner. Turns out the buyer is a flipper, and listed it for sale as . . . you guessed it . . . a one-owner car. Liar

Carfax is a useful tool, but obviously not 100% reliable.
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carfax sucks. I've worked at a large car dealership for 20 years and have seen so many rolling totals come through with a clean carfax it's not even funny. The absolute best advice I could give anyone buying a used car is to take the car to the dealership (of whatever brand car it is) and ask for a pre-buy inspection. It usually costs less than $100 and is the best money you will ever spend! Having someone look over the car that knows it like the back of their hand will find problems you may never see. If it has been wrecked even as little as a bumper cover, they will spot it instantly. They will give you an estimate for any repairs and maintenance that you can use to negotiate a price and they can tell you when to run....FAST!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotth17 wrote:
Carfax sucks. I've worked at a large car dealership for 20 years and have seen so many rolling totals come through with a clean carfax it's not even funny. The absolute best advice I could give anyone buying a used car is to take the car to the dealership (of whatever brand car it is) and ask for a pre-buy inspection. It usually costs less than $100 and is the best money you will ever spend! Having someone look over the car that knows it like the back of their hand will find problems you may never see. If it has been wrecked even as little as a bumper cover, they will spot it instantly. They will give you an estimate for any repairs and maintenance that you can use to negotiate a price and they can tell you when to run....FAST!

Here's my recent experience, I sold a Honda Fit that I'd hit a deer with and I disclosed this info to the dealer. The same dealer that had done the repairs. Imagine my surprise when I visited their website clicked on the check carfax link and it came back never having been wrecked. They sold this car to somebody in a fraudulent manner. That's how carfax can be manipulated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: