Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this DOOR STRAP & How I Get Me One? (virgin post
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyThang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: What is this DOOR STRAP & How I Get Me One? (virgin post Reply with quote

First post here! Just bought my first VW Thing 4 weeks ago...been learning a LOT...A LOT!

I found a VW Thing on eBay with a strap on the side of the door...what is that thing and how do I get one? I see my car has the holes for it. Couldn't find info on it anywhere!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Would love some knowledge bombs dropped on this little guy! Thanks!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jimmy!
Being a Thing owner will change your world.... Wink

I believe all Things had the holes in question, for the front doors(maybe rear?)... I've never seen a strap like that though! Interesting find...

Not sure what good it would be, aside from rolling up a sleep bag, large jacket, blanket or such..... Well,, actually that could be quite handy!!

I'd bet an upholstery shop could whip up a couple straps for ya in less than 30 mins... Screw some snaps in the holes, and you can have them removable as well(without undoing the screws)..

Sorry I don't have better info.... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one told me that the holes in the doors were for some type of strap to hold military map pouches in the doors.Dont know if that is true.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought a red 75 Civil Service with single port 1500 motor and swing axles with LSD Quaiffe rear ended Thing from Switzerland and it had straps like that . It also still had the map pouches but only on the front passenger door. It even has a few Swiss maps inside... Go to nay good upholstery supply store or Hobby Lobby or a good Fabric Store and they sell nylon strapping by the foot and black nylon buckles of various types. Make one prototype. Install it and see if you like the design. Adjust design if needed and then do other doors as your desire unfolds. this is like the econo version of the door open covers that various folks have offered and currently are available from SMOG in Europe... When we off road we put all kinds of spare parts into old socks and stuff t hem in the Thing door pockets, NO rattle and each part comes with its own grease rag. We clean and pre grease CVs. Put them in a zip lock baggie with a tie wrap through the plastic bag to hold the CV together. Then we put the entire assembly inside an old sock... The sock is a great holder to install the CV and you can stay somewhat grease free during an unplanned roadside repair...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
. ... Go to nay good upholstery supply store or Hobby Lobby or a good Fabric Store and they sell nylon strapping by the foot and black nylon buckles of various types.

Great idea... I actually have some new "surplus" military nylon webbing... About 1" width that would be great for this... Anyone need any, let me know... Wink

Heck, maybe I'll make a few sets and have them available..... Hmmmm.....
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo shows the strap on the back door, but I think the holes for the strap are only supposed to be on the front door.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have mixed up the doors.....?
I can't recall if I put my "fronts" back on the front after my resto..... I'll have to go look.
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right side doors I have ever had had holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was something like that. My bad.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I have always wondered what those holes were for!!! I assumed the P.O. put them in there since it was only on one side.
Thinking leather straps would look cool too. Hmmmm
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ol' memory isn't what it used to be, as you can tell, but seem to remember seeing a photo of a metal strap with a loop to hold the maps.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at my Thing before buying it, the seller had a first aid kit/box that fit in the door pocket perfectly and was held in place with a strap. I thought it was really cool. I didn't notice that he had removed the kit and strap when I bought the car a few days later. The snaps are still in the door, but no strap or box. That kit & strap are on my "things to get for my Thing someday" list.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a number of 181s that were originally Bundeswehr radio cars and a number of them have had the HUL recliner “General’s Chair” on the passenger side only and the cars with those seats also had the strap/map pouch and first aid kit mount. The map pouch strap was held in place using the same square hardware bracket and cheesehead screw that holds the seat retainer rubber strap in place. I have only seen the strap on the front door. But both right side doors have the holes just like two oil bath cleaner mouths the bumps to hold rear black out drive light on the engine deck lid and more... I am building a 73 Thing for a guy and the doors and hood are from a desert sand colored 1975 German Built Military 181 Thing. Since the doors came from another car there is no way to tell the fronts from the rears. On those both right doors there are the strap holes... All this talk make me think about putting the straps and containers on all 4 of Herr K’s doors.. In Germany the TUV (safety rules) requires that passenger cars carry a first aid kit... Back in the 70’s Shell Oil was all over Europe and as an incentive to buy gas they gave free TUV approved first aid kits for so much gas purchase... Now and again I run into a a small supply of those vintage Shell first aid kits. I even recently found some newer Nato first aid kits that are the same size as the German kits and are very nice, well supplied first aid kits that would be great for much more than just a show car trinket...
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this DOOR STRAP & How I Get Me One? (virgin Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems that when time permits and I browse this forum, I learn something new about Typ 181's . . .

If anyone has these straps installed in their car, and can post pictures and the length of the upper and lower strap, I'd appreciate it as I would like to make a set for each door.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No measurements needed. Go to Hobby Lobby ~ Army/Navy Surplus store or other craft/upholstery/fabric center. Buy about 10’ or 20’ nylon web strapping 1 1/4” Buy some snap buckles of the same size. The strap mounts in the picture with the same hardware as the rubber latch for the rear seat back retainer bar. Melt the ends of the strap to seal and stay flat and thin. I cut the strap with a hot kitchen knife. This cuts and seals/melts the edge at the same time. Once you figure your length for the first strap the other three will be the same. I am guessing that a 2’ strap will be about right... But I would just install the first one asn cut it for the length that suits my whim/needs.
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allways something new...
I only now one 181 without that holes... and is one from 1969, a first year production.... all others, all ex army cars, have the two holes in all the right doors...
They have under the dash the support for the kit... not on the doors...
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will make teo of this to my car... Smile Smile
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy, Welcome!! I recognize that car, it's the fire chiefs 75 !! Nice car Very Happy Wonder if it sold? I didn't notice the strap though. Good eye!!
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by jjrannauro on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit normaly is under the dash on a suport... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: