Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ticking noise from newly rebuilt 67 type 1 transmission
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Ticking noise from newly rebuilt 67 type 1 transmission Reply with quote

I have a ticking noise coming from newly rebuilt 67 type 1 transmission. It is from a reputable builder. It shifts fine. Its tight in the gearing. I drove it 60 miles with no issues but this ticking noise. It only happens when the car is in gear and the clutch is depressed. It is quicker paced in 1st gear and slower paced in 4th gear. I have turned the engine off, and coasted with the same results, to eliminate the clutch components. The clutch was functioning fine before the swap. I used the 66 axles, however I used the 66 differential's, in hind sight, I'm not sure if that a good move. Re assembly of the axle's went smooth. I'm sure the fulcrum plates are in the correct position. I have jacked up the beetle and cannot duplicate the sound at all. Could it be the position of the axles? I'm really stumped. I want to find out why it is doing this, before I send it back to the builder. I have found this post
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522377&highlight=trans+ticking+noise

Edit: Just to add more information it does not tick when the car is sitting still and the clutch depressed and the engine is running. When I start to put it in gear the ticking starts before it's fully engaged in a gear
He has not responded to my pm
I really need the transmission experts on this one.

Last edited by pwmcguire on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was axle related it would be faster in fourth gear. Some thing on the mainshaft assy, from the spinning clutch disk to the m/s bearing. How is the pilot bearing in the gland nut?
Also if the clutch is in, the bearing in the gland nut is spinning at a different rate than the engine, and is spinning faster in first than fourth.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If it was axle related it would be faster in fourth gear. Some thing on the mainshaft assy, from the spinning clutch disk to the m/s bearing. How is the pilot bearing in the gland nut?
Also if the clutch is in, the bearing in the gland nut is spinning at a different rate than the engine, and is spinning faster in first than fourth.

I didn't touch the gland nut when I pulled the engine, it is older, and when the clutch is out the engine and tranny are turning at the same speed which equals no click. It is something I should look into. thanks

Edit: There is no noise when I'm sitting still, clutch depressed, engine running. Only when moving and the clutch is depressed.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ticking noise from newly rebuilt 67 type 1 transmission Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
I have a ticking noise coming from newly rebuilt 67 type 1 transmission. It is from a reputable builder. It shifts fine. Its tight in the gearing. I drove it 60 miles with no issues but this ticking noise. It only happens when the car is in gear and the clutch is depressed. It is quicker paced in 1st gear and slower paced in 4th gear. I have turned the engine off, and coasted with the same results, to eliminate the clutch components. The clutch was functioning fine before the swap. I used the 66 axles, however I used the 66 differential's, in hind sight, I'm not sure if that a good move. Re assembly of the axle's went smooth. I'm sure the fulcrum plates are in the correct position. I have jacked up the beetle and cannot duplicate the sound at all. Could it be the position of the axles? I'm really stumped. I want to find out why it is doing this, before I send it back to the builder. I have found this post
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522377&highlight=trans+ticking+noise
He has not responded to my pm
I really need the transmission experts on this one.

Edit: Just to add more information it does not tick when the car is sitting still and the clutch depressed and the engine is running. When I start to put it in gear. while rolling, the ticking starts before it's fully engaged in a gear
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact same thing happened to me...and I had contacted the re-builder
3 times trying different axles, fulcrums, etc....even tried their recommended gear oil that they sent free of charge.
After I had tried all this with the same result...I said screw it and just drove it. I ended up putting over 45k miles
on it with no issue, even drove it on a 2,300 mile road trip and had no issues, nor did the clicking get any worse/louder.
The car is still driving around with the same trans with still no issues...probably 75k on it by now.

Tom
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkelley wrote:
The exact same thing happened to me...and I had contacted the re-builder
3 times trying different axles, fulcrums, etc....even tried their recommended gear oil that they sent free of charge.
After I had tried all this with the same result...I said screw it and just drove it. I ended up putting over 45k miles
on it with no issue, even drove it on a 2,300 mile road trip and had no issues, nor did the clicking get any worse/louder.
The car is still driving around with the same trans with still no issues...probably 75k on it by now.

Tom

That's interesting to know, The noise is a bit annoying. The builder agreed to take it back and make me happy, if I ship it to him. I don't think he will know what to fix. and I know he has no other 67's to change out. I took mine to him.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What oil are you using? Synthetic may help. How loud is the noise?
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

I dont remember what oil. I know It was gl4. It's hard to say how loud. like i said, It's enough to be annoying. Here is a video of the noise

Link
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad bearing to me
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Sounds like a bad bearing to me

But I dont hear anything when I'm driving, of course the noise level goes up,
and I'm told you cannot hear it outside the car.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one else want to take a stab?
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use gaskets when you installed the empi exhaust? Sounds like it's leaking. It's not your tranny
jcmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
Did you use gaskets when you installed the empi exhaust? Sounds like it's leaking. It's not your tranny

a friend of mine blew out a nice piece of exhaust gasket, taking my sandrail for a spin. he pulled up and I was like WTF did you do!

we pulled the head, looked over the pistons before we realized it was just an exhaust gasket

edit: although from that video, this doesn't sound like an exhaust leak or motor related at all to me. sounds like the joker playing card in the wheel spokes
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
How is the pilot bearing in the gland nut?

yep, I think your gland nut has no bearing in it.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one like this yrs ago, not a vw but possible. Ended being 1 tooth broken off on input shaft gear, hi gear only one quiet as this a direct conn thru trans.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:

leaking when the engine is off. Thats Brilliant
SlightlyStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

I dont remember what oil. I know It was gl4. It's hard to say how loud. like i said, It's enough to be annoying. Here is a video of the noise

Link

Hello Samba,

I have a freeway flyer 3 Rib in my own 1970 VW that recently developed a noise that sounds very similar to your ticking. I'm planning on taking look at my gland nut, but did this resolve your problem? Did you find any other information on regarding the cause? Any wisdom is very much appreciated Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: