Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help. I need info about this bug.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Look at the drivers floor mat. see the dimples for the mat to snap over. that is 1965 and earlier. see the link;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1249650.jpg

The laid back vent window divider bar and heater controls between the seats says 65 without a center dash vent. But I'm going on US spec deluxe models for that.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming an extremely great experience for me. Laughing
For being new to the VW air cooled, I've found some pretty nice cool bugs
First with my '62, it was all original with 1200 motor and 6V. I got it for $1500 (I kinda messed it up by selling the 1200 running motor, and original 6V transaxle and replacing it with a 1776 with a freeway flyer and all the drum brakes for disk brakes). I just wanted to go faster but I didn't know I was hurting the cars value. Crying or Very sad looks great though. Now this awesome oddball cool bug that's kinda more rare than my '62.

So I'll buy this one and keep it stock, maybe lower the front and rear a bit. Would it affect it if I upgrade to disk brakes on all four corners?

I just noticed the door panels. They have no upholstery on them, just some kind of wall paper type decorating the board door panels.
Is this stock?
Are these OG door panels worth anything.

Ill post a picture of the body and pan tags as we'll as the motor alt mount stand numbers to see if it will help determine what it really is.

Thank you all for helping out. This is just thrilling for me to have found another bug.But it's not just a common delux bug it's more awesome cuz it's odd and rare. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out from the impound yard if they will issue a salvage title, as well as a bill of sale; or possibly a mechanic's lien. Also get the VIN (should start with 115...). Then inquire with your local county's Motor Vehicle Office if those documents will be enough for them to issue a new title or registration in your name. Usually such a process also involves a pencil rubbing/tracing of the chassis# from the pan.

I went through this process about 12 years ago here in NY for a really solid '69 Beetle "parts car" for which the PO only could provide me with a bill of sale. Friend did the same with a '70 yard find Beetle which he restored and registered.

I've only seen one standard '65 in my 31 active years of VW hobby- it happened to be one in the same color, and was bought by an enthusiast in CT about 10 years ago. At first glance, other than the incorrect later engine, the car you are showing looks to be quite original and complete. If it is really solid and unrusted, I hope you do buy it and at least keep it protected until you get around to working on it actively.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the body & pan tags and motor tell us if the motor is OG to this car. Could it be a 1964 oddball standard that was made with a newer motor?
Wil the 115 vin make it a standard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, VIN tags do not have any info on engine, trans or driveline.
For some extra info, the best you can do is a Birth Certificate...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

No, it's not likely an oddball '64. Everything about the body screams '65. See Helfen's excellent example in his links.

No, a 115 VIN prefix would only make it a '65 model year. The vehicle type is a 111, or a left hand drive Standard in old terms.

Different language, but check this site out...
http://www.standardbeetle.com/

Edited spelling

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by 61SNRF on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dapimpbus wrote:
Would the body & pan tags and motor tell us if the motor is OG to this car.

That engine is definitely not original, its a 1200 but 40hp not 36hp
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Find out from the impound yard if they will issue a mechanic's lien , as well as a bill of sale.
I am thinking that this ^ would be better . . . .

And titled as "salvage" only if necessary
Rome wrote:
Find out from the impound yard if they will issue a salvage title, as well as a bill of sale.

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dapimpbus wrote:

1-So I'll buy this one and keep it stock, maybe lower the front and rear a bit. Would it affect it if I upgrade to disk brakes on all four corners?

2-I just noticed the door panels. They have no upholstery on them, just some kind of wall paper type decorating the board door panels.
Is this stock?

1-Lower a little maybe, as long at can be undone no biggie.
But disc brakes? Really? No need with a 36hp anyway Laughing

I'd say the most resale value is all stock and original.
However, your very biggest challenge there would be to source a complete running Fresh Air 36hp as Helfen has well outlined Wink
Only a Birth Cert will tell you if the engine #'s are correct or not, but most here including me would bet against it.

2-I noticed the door panels too, they look like '65's, but the original vinyl covering (no doubt in a simpler pattern than Deluxe) has peeled off leaving only the bare hardboard.
Note: there is no ash tray on the right rear either, another option that is a Deluxe/Export Sedan standard feature Cool

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dapimpbus wrote:
Would the body & pan tags and motor tell us if the motor is OG to this car. Could it be a 1964 oddball standard that was made with a newer motor?
Wil the 115 vin make it a standard?

Read my post and drscope. The car is not 64 or 66, it's a 65 Type 111. Give us the vin and we will prove it. Give us the vin# on the engine and I will prove it to be the wrong engine... it should be a 65 fresh air 36hp just like the pictures I posted. FYI collectors demand originality. Modifying the car will loose value. The car is rare these days, do it justice by keeping it factory or pass this gem in the rough to someone who will do it justice. There are plenty 1965 deluxe beetles if you want to modify a car.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Dapimpbus wrote:

1-So I'll buy this one and keep it stock, maybe lower the front and rear a bit. Would it affect it if I upgrade to disk brakes on all four corners?

2-I just noticed the door panels. They have no upholstery on them, just some kind of wall paper type decorating the board door panels.
Is this stock?

1-Lower a little maybe, as long at can be undone no biggie.
But disc brakes? Really? No need with a 36hp anyway Laughing

I'd say the most resale value is all stock and original.
However, your very biggest challenge there would be to source a complete running Fresh Air 36hp as Helfen has well outlined Wink
Only a Birth Cert will tell you if the engine #'s are correct or not, but most here including me would bet against it.

2-I noticed the door panels too, they look like '65's, but the original vinyl covering (no doubt in a simpler pattern than Deluxe) has peeled off leaving only the bare hardboard.
Note: there is no ash tray on the right rear either, another option that is a Deluxe/Export Sedan standard feature Cool

The door panels for a 65 "A" Sedan are one color ( doesn't matter what exterior color)....medium gray. The drivers door panel does not have a map pouch like a deluxe, the passenger front door panel does not have a arm rest like a deluxe, the rt rear quarter panel does not have a ash tray like a deluxe has. The door handles are not chrome..they are painted L-328 steel gray There is no chrome on the dash, no chrome bezel around the speedometer, no gas gauge, no assist-grab bar on the dash, the headliner is the 3/4 type not a full headliner, the door jams have indentations for door light switches but no switches because the interior light is manual operated only, the windshield wiper switch-motor do not have a self parking element...where ever you switch them off is where they park. There is a reserve lever or fuel tap, as said befor the rubber mats are smaller and completely different to the 65 deluxe counterpart. There is a sun visor, but only one, passenger side doesn't get one.

Here is the door panel on my car, you will note that at the time of the picture the dash was painted incorrectly and there was a oil pressure gauge where a blank grille should be and my door handles are chrome instead of L-328 steel gray paint. Every thing now is back to stock...I did this stuff in my misspent youth 46 years ago. Also you will note the 56-59 deluxe steering wheel which was the steering wheel for Canadian Customs which leads me to the point that any 111 could order 1200 custom trim on any Type 111 or standard model. The guy who I got the car from ordered my car that way so he could get thru U.S. customs easier. He did have to change a few things to get in though like change the speedometer to MPH and the rear tail lamps to all red, and he forgot to tell them at the factory to put in a Canadian/ U.S. spec. windshield. Fortunately the guy had all the stuff they made him replace in a box sans the windshield and gave it all to me. Note the deluxe towel rack bumpers, as said before they could be ordered on any beetle model, in my case the guy ordered them to meet U.S. bumper height requirement regulations to get the car into the U.S.. click on the link;
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0136_edited_1.jpg
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0131_edited_1.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516080.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516079.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516084.jpg
My 65 "A" Sedan next to a 66 ragtop 1200 "A"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516078.jpg
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's interesting that both helfen's and the originally posted cars have steering locks.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Got it. I'll buy it and keep it all stock. Fix the original body panels and keep the nice looking patina no upgrades. I don't want to mess it up as I did my '62 by selling the original running engine and trans axle. This will be a bare bones stock standard shick works for me due to the fact that it's not a common bug. I will take every bodies advice and do it justice. NO MODS OR UPGRADES.
If I keep it as is can I at least use new interior like headliner and upholstery. Any ideas where I can find matching standard interiors.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I tell if the bug in question has a steering lock?
It maybe a stupid question but I'm new to VW's and I don't know much of anything.
I admit I've been school by all of you and and it's been a great learning experiAnce.
-"You only become wise by asking and learning from others!"-
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has a steering lock notice the big white box that is on the column below the dash, you can't see in the pictures you posted but it will have a keyed ignition switch on the right side. Hence the reason the left side of the dash by the ash tray has no ignition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dapimpbus wrote:
How can I tell if the bug in question has a steering lock?
It maybe a stupid question but I'm new to VW's and I don't know much of anything.
I admit I've been school by all of you and and it's been a great learning experiAnce.
-"You only become wise by asking and learning from others!"-

Yours does as ConcreteAce says and pictures show.
It's hard to tell someone not to be this or that, but I want you to know you can ask questions here and for the most part everyone is happy to help you. My dad used to say you can be ignorant once, but if you ask the same question over and over does the meaning change from ignorant to stupid. You are asking the right questions and learning...that to me is not stupid.
I'm glad you recognize what a little gem that car can be.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I will buy this standard bug come Tuesday. It's so much more exciting than when I found my '62. I've always wanted unique VW's. This standard bug tops it for me till I find a ragtop split window. We'll I appreciate the education and knowledge I got from all of you.
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you ever wanted to know about these cars...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509452

Rare does not mean valuable!!
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you this will help me.
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will buy this standard bug come Tuesday.

So did you buy it?
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dapimpbus wrote:
Great. I will buy this standard bug come Tuesday. It's so much more exciting than when I found my '62. I've always wanted unique VW's. This standard bug tops it for me till I find a ragtop split window. We'll I appreciate the education and knowledge I got from all of you.

You want something even more rare? How about a 65-66-67 Type 115. They are the last Ragtop sunroof cars. Did you miss the link I posted of the 66 ragtop of a friend of mine's car with my car next to his?? see the link again;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516078.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: