Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new turbo buggy, detonation and/or loud valves at wot?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
huelsdonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: new turbo buggy, detonation and/or loud valves at wot? Reply with quote

Hello, i have recently acquired a turbo charged 20??cc air cooled manx with bosch k-jetronic CIS fuel injection and a 009 distributor and it is pretty amazing. My last vw was a stock 66 type 3 fastback which i loved but it is long gone.
So i have this new buggy and it runs real well and the afr meter says its dialed in pretty well but it either is detonating or rattling the valves at wide open throttle at about 4 to 5000rpm and i need some input on how to figure out what it doing and how to solve it. Im not a dummy, i hope, i just havent ever had a sweet ass turbo VW to maintain. Smile[/img]
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a boost gauge? What psi does it read? Is your fuel old and or premium grade? What is your timing advancing to under boost? (or maybe timing is locked and not advancing at all?). What is your fuel pressure under boost? A lot can cause detonation with a turbo engine....

When you pop the valve covers off, can you tell if you at least have dual valve springs? Valve float can be aggravated by intake boost pressure. Basically, as I understand it the valve can be held open with weak valve springs that can't overcome the force of intake air.

Can you slowly drive up to the high rpm's without generating full boost to determine whether its boost related, or happens all the time? With my draw through setup, I only saw boost under hard acceleration. Can you tell us what you know about the engine? Specs, compression, turbo etc?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: