Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100000 kilometer badge
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
solidgold54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: 100000 kilometer badge Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would like to find out more about this badge. I have seen others with blue color in the V but I have never seen anything like this
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you have was probably "re-cast" off a damaged reproduction. Although it might be your picture, the badge appears to be cast instead of die struck, as the margin lines are too soft and the detail in the leaves is just not there. I would be very surprised if your badge had any writing on the reverse as cast pieces rarely do. If you can post a picture of the reverse, we can look at the pin construction which never varied from known originals and that might cement the opinion. I just don't see anything that would make me believe that this is an original badge at this point. Sad
solidgold54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: 100000 kilometer badge Reply with quote

I will take some more pictures tonight - there is writing on the back, it's just really hard to read. I will post pictures later

Image of side showing back pins

image of back the bottom line says Ludenscheid and the top line appears to have as many letters as the bottom line and the last letter looks like an E

image of front
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a reproduction IMO; a nice one, but still a reproduction (You have a PM.) The real issue is the detail that is NOT there, and the fact that the badge was chromed after the mounting pins were attached; very typical of reproductions. The tiny pebbling that would be under the blue enamel is also not present on cast badges. The reverse is also not finished with the quality of the originals. Your badge also shows the "pits" common in cast metal instead of the superb finish of die struck metal. The real badges are chromed over brass and are beautiful............sort of like "triple chrome plating" The chrome on your badge is over a pot metal and does not "pop" like the chrome on an OG badge. I know all this can be confusing but once you see a real one, you'll know what I mean. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: