Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with front sway bar - aftermarket
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Help with front sway bar - aftermarket Reply with quote

So I bought a new 3/4 inch sway bar for my 56 bus and have been struggling with getting it on. It seems that the clamps that came with the kit are not working. See photo and let me know if you have had the same problem and how you solved it. I might have to buy one of those stainless steel clamps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like you have the king and link pin stock front end, so my question is: Is that sway bar also for a link pin bus suspension? Also, It appears as it bolts through the lower control arm as does mine. Do you have it bolted in place? If the sway bar isn't in the right position in relation to your lower suspension arm it will be hell to get that clamp on. I have a 68/69 ball joint front end from a bay window, so not sure if the split window aftermarket sway bar bolts onto the arm also. It also appears as if you have the red urethane bushings on backwards.
schnidlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one of these on my bay and it was an absolute pig of a job. I found it easier with the wheels on the ground, it just mad the angles nicer. You will need a pit or alternatively, try parking with one wheel on a curb. Good luck, you will love it once it's on.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's odd as mine went right on. I don't remember if I did it front end raised or not.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it has to do with it being a wolfsburg bus? Don't quote me but it seems that I heard that the wolfsburg beams were slightly different shape in the mount area. Maybe that is a factor. I think most people say its a bugger to get the clamps on. Hope you are enjoying the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who sells aftermarket sway bars?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. The packaging said that the sway bar fits both k&L and b/j front ends. There is not hole however on the ends to bolt to the lower control arm like on the b/j beams. This is why I suspect this is for a k&L beam. I will try to fit it with wheels on the ground and see if it makes a difference. As for being a Wolfsburg bus, not sure if that is the issue. I bought this sway bar from CIP.

Eric, I'm driving this bus almost every day. Getting it ready for a Texas road trip in October....;0)

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. The packaging said that the sway bar fits both k&L and b/j front ends. There is not hole however on the ends to bolt to the lower control arm like on the b/j beams. This is why I suspect this is for a k&L beam. I will try to fit it with wheels on the ground and see if it makes a difference. As for being a Wolfsburg bus, not sure if that is the issue. I bought this sway bar from CIP.

Eric, I'm driving this bus almost every day. Getting it ready for a Texas road trip in October....;0)

Good to hear. Hope your trip goes well.

I do remember one member on here stating there appeared to be a difference in shape of the arm on his wolfsburg bus vs. hannover production, again not sure if it would make any difference on this install. I just dragged out a stock sway bar to put on my '58 so I'll give that a go and let you know if it was as challenging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See bloogy's post here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

Just read that thread and i'm going to just buy a couple of stainless T-bolt clamps. I might even try to source the smaller brackets for the end. I'm sure they are there for a reason....;0)

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like a 7/8" sway bar and clamps for a 3/4" sway bar.

I recall having a devil of a time mounting the aftermarket 7/8" sway bar on my bus and wound up strategically shaving some of the urethane to get the clamp to fit.
This was on a late beam in a 61 bus.
I also recall vehemently cursing the perfect void of any aftermarket engineering on the product and the utter contempt the designers, marketers, distributors and profiteers had for their customers on that job more than just about any other I have done on my bus.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
It looks to me like a 7/8" sway bar and clamps for a 3/4" sway bar.

I recall having a devil of a time mounting the aftermarket 7/8" sway bar on my bus and wound up strategically shaving some of the urethane to get the clamp to fit.
This was on a late beam in a 61 bus.
I also recall vehemently cursing the perfect void of any aftermarket engineering on the product and the utter contempt the designers, marketers, distributors and profiteers had for their customers on that job more than just about any other I have done on my bus.

But was it worth it Keith..... Very Happy
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
who sells aftermarket sway bars?

Addco makes some. They're available through a few places.
Front - http://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/723/10002/-1?parentProductId=
Rear - http://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/952/10002/-1?parentProductId=
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sway-bar (like the one pictured above) installed on my bus and unlike some of the OG sway-bars mine did not come with end clamps like the ones pictured below. Are these clamps available aftermarket? I've done some searching and can't seem to find any. Are they even needed?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: