Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Spark Plug ??
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

What spark plugs are people using in tuned engines - Mine is a 2.1 type 4

any advice welcome
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

orbeas wrote:
What spark plugs are people using in tuned engines - Mine is a 2.1 type 4

any advice welcome

i have great results from the ngk br5es gap set at 32. 2110cc type 1, 8.75to1cr, 120 cam, 1.25 rockers, 44 webers, msd 6al, etc.

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

NGK BP6ET

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

any special reason you like that paticular plug in a performace engine?

george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

Yes, it's the best.

subhuman wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Yes, it's the best.

subhuman wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

just switched over to these, all i can say is they are awsome, chrisper throttle response, better idle, really made an overall huge difference, highly recomended!

george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

Mark Twain
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP6ET....is this the correct plug for the LN3 heads? I know the heads use 3/4" reach plugs but not sure if they are 12mm or 14mm. Can't find any diffinitive info on the this and just installed engine into bus b4 I verified.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

John, do you use that in all vw engines or just performance?

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET
Yes, it's the best.

I agree with that...by far. I have been using these plugs and the Bosch W7DTC...same plug by Bosch for about 25 years now on type 4's...and used them before that on water cooled VW.

They are especially good and designed for.... high compression moderate to lean burn engines that see high rpms and/or lots of highway. They have three electrodes...only one of which fires at any given time.....but they all regularly fire.....as can be seen from exact even wear patterns. They last a very long time.
The cage of electrodes allows better interspersing of fuel air inside the cage and this gives a better flame kernel at the start of ignition. Also....the spark will jump whatever gap has the least resistance at the ionization point.

This changes from millisecond to millisecond due to compression pressure, surface temp of electrode etc. In a less tan modern system with no fancy ion-sensing controls to pump the pulses up and down according to sensing of electrode requirements (most modern VW, Audi and others use this)......this works about as good as you can get.

Some think these are only high compression motorcycle engine plugs (many high performance cycles use them for all of these reasons)...but they were also the stock plug of choice on many CIS and CIS-E injected and some digifant injected high compression engines through the 80's and into the 90's....like the GTI golf.

They also like voltage. They work much better with a change as simple as something like a 42Kv coil from Pertronix. Very smooth....very uniform ignition. A noticeable upgrade.

OH....and they come precisely gapped from the factory. they can be regappped but you must be precise. The electrode gaps need to be even. You will need this gap tool.....best I have ever found.

http://www.europaparts.com/spark-plug-gap-tool-098...aQod7_ADQQ

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, he interesting part in BP6ET is the "P". That means that the plug and center electrode protrudes into the chamber where it gets cleaned by the gas flow. The "P" plugs don't foul easily. The 3-electrodes business is good for longevity.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Best Plugs Reply with quote

Just fyi you can get the Bosch W7DTC plugs on closeout right now from Rockauto for $1.53 each. I just bought 16 of them. With shipping worked out to be $2.10 each for me.

These are same as what NGK's that John mentioned but better, with the nice nickel rolled threads.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...plate=true

They are available from multiple suppliers on ebay also.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Plugs Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Just fyi you can get the Bosch W7DTC plugs on closeout right now from Rockauto for $1.53 each. I just bought 16 of them. With shipping worked out to be $2.10 each for me.

These are same as what NGK's that John mentioned but better, with the nice nickel rolled threads.

Jeff

Thank you for that heads up. I started my own hoard about last year whenever I find them cheap.....I have three boxes of 10 plugs. Always room for a, few more at that cheap. Ray
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best Plugs Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Jeff

Thank you for that heads up. I started my own hoard about last year whenever I find them cheap.....I have three boxes of 10 plugs. Always room for a few more at that cheap. Ray

Yes stock up now! Its hard to get even standard cheap plugs for under $3 anymore
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denso Q20PR-U ,40 gap
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a suggestion upgrade plus with extended prong 12mm, 3/4"? Currently running d8ea-9s.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

Went to Advance Auto this weekend to pick up a few of these plugs. Why did the guy tell me that they would not fit in my car? Maybe because mine is a type 1?

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Spark Plug ?? Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
NGK BP6ET

Went to Advance Auto this weekend to pick up a few of these plugs. Why did the guy tell me that they would not fit in my car? Maybe because mine is a type 1?

Remember that most the parts guys got hired straight from Burgerking. There computer screen tells them BR6HS is the only NGK you can use so anything else to them will be wrong. If your asking them to think and cross reference a better plug that fits and might work better your going way above their pay scale.

Jeff

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In thinking of the NGK BP6ET that Aircooled Jon spoke of, they are a 3/4" Reach Plug that may fit my 2180. Thing is from what I read they pertrude some, or is it just the way I read it? Why, I am thinking of trying them out with my CB Street Eliminator Heads to see what happens, or is this plain dumb, thing is I am looking for a good all around plug, my compression is not sky rocket, but I am running an Engle 120 Cam w/1 to 1 Ratio Rockers.

What is yalls take, like to hear from Jon on this if he is around? RB
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats unique about the BP6ET and the Bosch W7DTC....is the electrode configuration.

Pay attention.....to the fact that they are 3/4" reach. Stock style tyoe 1 hwads cannot use them unless you have aftermarket heads set up for 3/4" reach like a type 4.

That being said.....i would bet that ir i looked at the Bosch or NGK identifier chart....i could pull up a part # for the triple electrode for type 1 heads and thread reach. Now....whether its in stock anywhere...who knows. Ray
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion upgrade plus with extended prong 12mm, 3/4"? Currently running d8ea-9s.

I use DCPR7E on my engine. They're good with big manifolds with their 16 mm wrench.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: