Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death Foam removal on a '67 vdubb
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Death Foam removal on a '67 vdubb Reply with quote

Okay, I am at the point where I am about to have the entire bug bead blasted and I see the foam in the back walls under where the "crescents" on the super beetles are.
I have the foam in my '67 and have read through a few topics but have yet to find out what it's there for.
Sound deadening?
Water inhibitor?
To keep CO2 from entering into the cabin?

It appears that my insides look great because it was a Cali car but I would like to remove it!!
The biggest concern is the CO2 issue. My thinking is that the air enters the cabin in the front and goes through to the back and exits through these "holes" in the back or even out the pop out windows. The "crescents" on the super beetles are there for this reason, right? The air exits these vents to the outside?
If that's the case, leaving the holes open would vent the cabin air into the engine bay unless you were just sitting still with no air!!?
And, even if I did remove it, then could I get it bead blasted then spray "good stuff" spray foam back in there as a replacement?
Any techs or philosophers here that could shed some light on this theory for me? I would appreciate it before I start ripping this shi! out of my buggy!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow no replies?
Do people keep the foam or scrap it? On the newer super beetles I see a lot of areas rusted out back where the crescent vent is. Is it because the water soaks the foam and it rots from the inside out?
Also, if I took it out wouldn't the air while driving come through the cabin and back out those holes out the engine bay?
Or does it do the opposite? Does air come in the engine bay and INTO the cabin?
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you search in the late model forum? More info in there.

Most people seem to believe it was related to sound deadening, and possibly preventing any potential engine gases from creeping into the cabin. I don't think it was related to water. Most people seem to just remove it and leave it out. Those that put something back in usually use a removable "pillow" like vw used on the earlier models, however I did see one guy use the expanded foam shipping things which I thought was clever.

Sorry I don't have more info, I haven't messed with mine yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can burn it out with a hand torch and/or bend up a coat hanger auger to attach to your drill & root it out.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you recommend using that "good stuff" spray foam? It would expand into the hard to get areas and then harden. It appears to get a hard coating when dry and becomes pretty solid and would seal out any "gasses" once dry.
Just seemed like the perfect material for the job to me...?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. You don't have a problem there but you want to remove the factory foam. Then you want to put in some cheap household foam-in-can where the factory stuff was?

I would just leave it alone. Have you noticed that it is mostly late cars with the crescent vents that rust out around the foam?

Don't invite trouble ...

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER. EVER. EVER. Use that "great stuff" expanding foam.

It's explicitly not recommended by the manufacturer. It holds water and will eventually rust out your car. It's also a BITCH to remove if you ever need to.

Expanding foam is a great way to end up with a rust bucket in a few years.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes plenty of Beetles have died of cancer due to that foam.

yes it seals fumes from the engine bay.

I remove it with coat hanger, or an old interior door handle rod (stiffer than a coat hanger) and then check/repaint the insides then line the areas with plastic bags and re-install foam
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, ok ok ok no good stuff and leave it alone!
Got it!

So the majority of the problems come from the newer crescent bugs?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Type 3 fastbacks are rotted out at the C pillars from the factory foam sprayed into them retaining the moisture.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thread from when I did this gradually over the course of several months. A royal pain in the ass, but you'll sleep better at night when you're done! I hope the photos help you get a general idea of what's involved. I'm no expert, but let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568790&highlight=
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, all beetles from '71 up ( for the U.S. market) had the "crescents" not just super beetles. Also, they are vents and were for fresh air to enter into the cabin and aided in keeping the rear window from fogging, well at least they tried to. The foam is behind the vents.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. I don't think the 67 has the death foam, it has pillows. You should be able to just pull them out and see what's going on up there, but I'm not sure you need to. The pillows don't seem to trap moisture the way the death foam does.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the foam was a late model thing. I've never owned a '67 so didn't know what should be in there. If there is foam on this car, could it be PO modification?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I wanted to pull the wire harness out that the PO left in and I see foam all up in the quarters. I might need to read up on that. MINE has some kind of foam-maybe not the factory?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: