Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I didn't make it 1000 miles, but Van-Cafe saved the day
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: I didn't make it 1000 miles, but Van-Cafe saved the day Reply with quote

After a couple of years of just local trips, we decided to make a trip up California 1 to San Francisco. Although I had done most all of the previous work on the van, Peter at San Diego Westy helped me do a lot of major work to get the van solid for the long trip. I really appreciated his work before the trip... but even with that, the unexpected can and does happen.

Somewhere along the drive the van would just turn off... and then come back just as quick. It was like a light switch. 3000 RPM, then a drop to 0 and then back up to 3000. After I made it to a friends in San Francisco, the van just wouldn't start. I called and emailed Pete at San Diego Westy, and he had me run some diagnostics. I checked fuel pressure and spark, and the spark was very intermittent. Per his suggestion, I jiggled the hall sensor wires on the distributor, and I noted a small black plastic piece come off. The wires were then totally loose.

I had to decide how and what to do. We had planned on a couple of days touring San Francisco with the two kids, so I was reluctant to play mechanic on the road. At the same time... I do enjoy working these things out... but in the end, I decided I needed to have someone else do the work. I was lucky I had AAA Plus and Van-Cafe was within 100 miles of the van. I called Peter, who I've ordered a lot of stuff from over the years, and he said he would get the van right in and have a look. We're lucky to have such a great community of businesses and people to support our aging vans. He fixed it and drove it around a bit, since he knew I was taking a long trip back down Coast 1.

The van was fixed and we used a one way rental car to pick up the van and continue on the trip. It was an awesome trip up and down California 1 that none of us will ever forget....

Thanks Pete and Peter

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he draw a picture on your Van and give you a cookie?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't make it 1000 miles, but Van-Cafe saved the day Reply with quote

this would have been where I woulda have taken ya too.
Great to hear your trip and van were saved from failure.
kudos to all.
vela123321 wrote:
I checked fuel pressure and spark, and the spark was very intermittent. Per his suggestion, I jiggled the hall sensor wires on the distributor, and I noted a small black plastic piece come off. The wires were then totally loose.

Thanks Pete and Peter

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van cafe is the shit! Everyone there, Peter included, is so helpful and awesome. As a small business owner myself, customer service goes a long way with me. They have great CS! I order atleast 95% of my parts from them. The other 5% being stuff i can grab locally, which is limited. Whenevr the work gets frustrating or annoying, I look down on my bench, see that cookie staring at me, eat it and things suddenly get better Wink

Glad that you had a great experience with them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't make it 1000 miles, but Van-Cafe saved the day Reply with quote

vela123321 wrote:
I was lucky I had AAA Plus and Van-Cafe was within 100 miles of the van.

That's exactly why I do not have AAA. I don't see the point in paying more for less coverage.

https://www.gmmotorclub.com/compare.jsp

I have used them over the past five years for seven tows (two for the Westy and they were happy to tow it HOME, not to a repair shop, for the coolant tank issue) and three lockouts. I've never been over a hundred miles from where I need to go, but I don't have to worry about it.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't make it 1000 miles, but Van-Cafe saved the day Reply with quote

LandSailor wrote:
vela123321 wrote:
I was lucky I had AAA Plus and Van-Cafe was within 100 miles of the van.

That's exactly why I do not have AAA. I don't see the point in paying more for less coverage.

https://www.gmmotorclub.com/compare.jsp

I have used them over the past five years for seven tows (two for the Westy and they were happy to tow it HOME, not to a repair shop, for the coolant tank issue) and three lockouts. I've never been over a hundred miles from where I need to go, but I don't have to worry about it.

GM says "No mileage limits on towing.
Unlike any other major motor club, we'll tow you to the nearest qualified repair facility, no matter how far it is."

If you are many miles from home will they tow you to your home town mechanic or home like AAA will?

Ops, just retread your post, maybe they do. I'll give them a call.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like Van Cafe, and I am glad to see them getting some random kudus. They do things like after I order discover there's a cheaper method for getting my parts to Idaho than I selected on the same day (so my actual bill is less than when I order). Great folks.

We picked AAA simply because of the vast array of service centers. They are everywhere and when you are in a small rural market like we are that matters. Most places we go that could result in a stranding, there is nothing out there. In addition, AAA will also tow our boat or trailer if we have a problem.

Anyhow, good job!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, GM only covers anywhere in the US or Canada, so unless you need to go into an office to get a map from a human, "service centers" don't matter.

back to your normally scheduled thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: