Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plastidipped Superbeetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you plastidip your ride?
yes
46%
 46%  [ 23 ]
no
54%
 54%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 50

jordanrumsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Plastidipped Superbeetle Reply with quote

You either hate it, or you love it. Plasti dipp is a rubberized paint that you spray on and is peelable, yet extremely durable. I decided to paint my bug with it just out of curiosity for the product and I wanna know what my car would look like in such bold colours that dipyourcar.com has to offer. it was extremely easy to apply and has very little texture to it. it applies fairly smooth. this colour is "intense teal" and for the whole pro car kit that comes with the 3 gallons ready to spray,the spray system, tape,a mixing rod for your drill,and a specialized wash cloth. all together was $400 at my door. In the fall il be doing it in world rally blue (suburus sexy blue). for that I will only need to order 3 gallons of the dip, not the whole kit so it will be much cheaper. Also, 3 gallons was a lot of dip, I barely broke into the 3rd gallon doing the car and I wasted a bit of product, if ur confident you could do the car in 2 gallons.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen spray on bed liner sprayed on busses. Probably the same thing.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use paint brush bed liner for the wheel wells, holding up very well, no chips from the gravel roads. I do have a couple of chips in my urethane paint, can you say gravel guards. I would like to find out how durable this peel off paint is. Anyone have over 5 years of experience with the plastidip, I would love some long term reviews.
jordanrumsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many reviews of plasti dip holding up well around a year, none past the one year point, I think plasti dipping cars is still new to most people.
I did 6 coats so its on my bug pretty thick so im hoping it holds up good.u can always just spray over it again Razz
jordanrumsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link to the walkaround of the bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFChVl33T20
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Plastic dip has come a long way since handle dipping days!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get the point of temporary paint. My nephew is obsessed with painting his Honda with this stuff. Strange trend.
If you want to paint your car, paint your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasti dip is fun! I've got.a couple of buddies who really do theirs every few months, and they always look great. One friend did his 4 years ago and it still looks awesome. The only problem I see with the stuff is that it will only peel off clean and easy if you spray it on already good, smooth paint, and you gotta do several coats and get it real thick...
But yeah, awesome product, and yes, I would definitely do it to my car, if the paint it already has were good enough to be able to peel the stuff back off if I didn't like it.

Last edited by thechief86 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Government
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

They have a new dip color called zombie, I fully intend dipping the super with it. And if some reason it looks worse than my flat black primer then I can just peel it off. Been watching plasti-dip for years, now they have thermochromatic plasti-dip and other snazzy flavors. I am torn between OD green plastic and the zombie though.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I just don't get the point of temporary paint. My nephew is obsessed with painting his Honda with this stuff. Strange trend.

It may be the cost. Doing a proper paint job can cost many thousands of dollars . Two days ago I bought a car which has this finish applied, I'll see how it holds up. 400.00 wouldn't even buy the paint and materials so we can see why this is a viable alternative. My opinion it's a good twenty foot paint job gives the car a kind of rat rod look, it's not smooth and does not flow out smooth like paint and if that's a problem you won't like it.
99XC600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. It looks like you didn't add any Glossifier too it. How do you like the matte finish?

The nice thing about the PlastiDip solution is you can use it as temporary solution after all of your bodywork is complete while you're saving up for an actual paint job.

Since most projects can easily go past into the 3-5 year mark. I don't see an issue with it.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:

On newer cars, it makes a lot of sense.
* Doesn't affect the factory corrosion warranties. (12 years on VWs..)
* You can do it to a leased vehicle
* Can change colors a few times again cheaper/easier
* Easier to DIY. If you have never painted a car before, and you screw it up, just peel it off and start over.
* A car which has been repainted, even in the factory color, generally has a lower resale value than one which has not. (Buyers assume repaint = accident damage.)
* A newer car in a flashy "non-normal" color will be harder to sell. (Colors other than white/grey/black/beige and red.)
* Substantially cheaper than the alternatives for color changing (vinyl wraps).
jordanrumsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the matte look so I didn't use glossifier, it still has a shine to it in the sun however. I intend to do suburu's world rally blue next. the reason I dipped my car was tosave for an actual paint job like said above. but I was expecting this stuff to spray on kind of crappy however that wasn't eactly the case. coat 1/2 I went rlly light and the 3rd I went a bit heavier and waited 20 mins between coats, then 4th I went a bit heavier but not a lot and waited 30mins for the 5th and 6th coat which were pretty heavy and even and it covered decently smooth. the coverage for this colour was great, the bug was teal after coat 3.

hood after 3 coats
[img]
[/img]

car after 3 coats
[img]
[/img]

NOW-GO FORTH AND DIP!
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanrumsey wrote:
I like the matte look so I didn't use glossifier, it still has a shine to it in the sun however. I intend to do suburu's world rally blue next. the reason I dipped my car was tosave for an actual paint job like said above. but I was expecting this stuff to spray on kind of crappy however that wasn't eactly the case. coat 1/2 I went rlly light and the 3rd I went a bit heavier and waited 20 mins between coats, then 4th I went a bit heavier but not a lot and waited 30mins for the 5th and 6th coat which were pretty heavy and even and it covered decently smooth. the coverage for this colour was great, the bug was teal after coat 3.

hood after 3 coats
[img]
[/img]

car after 3 coats
[img]
[/img]

NOW-GO FORTH AND DIP!

I think it looks cool! I get the low cost of the product and ease of use being a determining factor. When I got my show car painted, I was almost 1100.00 into paint and supplies alone....without body work, sanding, spraying, wet sanding and then buff and polish.

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
chopped 64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you gonna get that stuff out of the vents below the back window?
Greengobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to plasti dip my Super Beetle. About how much did you use to get good coverage? I was thinking about 2 gallons?
scourtaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering about plastidip for my super beetle convertible pending the final paint job (costly) and am thinking world rally blue (close to the final color). Have you had a chance to try it? any pictures?

Regards

Seb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: