Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear End Height
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fischer68westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Rear End Height Reply with quote

I looked through the various threads I found on the site and just can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for.
Please help as this is driving me crazy!

The rear end of my bus was low after installing a new (used) tranny.
I rotated the spring plate one notch on the outer spline and now the rear is about 3/4" higher then the front and the camber is considerable when compared to other busses.

What should the measurement be in degrees on the spring plate?
How can I measure the camber and what should it be?
If I want to drop the rear end down 3/4" what combination of spline (inner and outer) would be the next logical to try?

Thanks for the input!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring plate inclination is as follows

Delivery van, Kombi, Micro Bus, Pickup 20° +- 30'
Ambulance 18° 40' +- 20'
Fire Truck 21° 30' +- 20'

This is the stock setting.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear wheel camber is as follows, stock also.

Delivery Van, Kombi, Micro Bus, Pick-Up 4° +- 30'
Ambulance 1° +- 20'
Fire Truck 4° 30' +- 20'
Max difference between wheels 20'
fischer68westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Jason.
Is there a way to measure camber with an inclinometer?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get the height of the rear of the bus within specs, I have found, is to line up the bottom of the springplate with the stop on the torsion housing.
The torsion bars have 48 outer splines and 44 inners splines, so adjustment can be made as fine as ~42 minutes of rotation.
If you want your bus just a touch high, try to get a tiny bit of pre load (1mm)on the springplate before it contacts the stop and if you want it a touch lower, leave a 1 mm gap or so between the springplate and the stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fischer68westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It started out low, looked like a female dog peeing, so I raised the rear by rotating the spring plate down one notch. Now the rear is up, but the camber looks awfully drastic especially compared to other busses.
The frame rail is level and it looks like the camber is at 4deg, but man those wheels are tucked. Maybe I'll rotate the inner spline one notch the other direction and see where that gets me.

Any other suggestions?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you driven it? I'm sure you probably know this already but the wheels always have more camber right when you let the bus off the jack.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no simple way of getting your rear height correct. You can use the math method and hope you get it right. When I started lowering my VWs I've use this method:

Drive the vehicle and decide how much you want to raise it or lower it in the rear (you drive it to make sure the suspension settles in)
Measure from the lip of the wheel well on each side to decide (you have to measure both sides - what you do to one doesn't always equal out on the other)
Put the vehicle on jacks
Disconnect the RDG from the spring plate or not - just easier with them off
If the plates are resting on the stop, slide them out just enough for it rotate past the stop
Now measure from the ground on each side to the tip of the spring plate
Using a combination of inner and outer splines rotate it until the measurement at the tip is as close to the change you want
Bolt everything back together and drive it

I've used this method for leveling front to back and side to side. It works and it's not that hard. It just takes some time messing with the splines.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fischer68westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions.

One more question.....
When measuring the angle of the spring plate should the bus be on its wheels or up on jacks?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
There is no simple way of getting your rear height correct. You can use the math method and hope you get it right. When I started lowering my VWs I've use this method:

Drive the vehicle and decide how much you want to raise it or lower it in the rear (you drive it to make sure the suspension settles in)
Measure from the lip of the wheel well on each side to decide (you have to measure both sides - what you do to one doesn't always equal out on the other)
Put the vehicle on jacks
Disconnect the RDG from the spring plate or not - just easier with them off
If the plates are resting on the stop, slide them out just enough for it rotate past the stop
Now measure from the ground on each side to the tip of the spring plate
Using a combination of inner and outer splines rotate it until the measurement at the tip is as close to the change you want
Bolt everything back together and drive it

I've used this method for leveling front to back and side to side. It works and it's not that hard. It just takes some time messing with the splines.

^^^ This. Exactly. No need to worry about spring plate angle measurements or to count the "clicks" on your torsion bars. Just use a tape measure, and some trial and error time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: