Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent Window
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Vent Window Reply with quote

I installed the vent wing window in my 63 bug. Question - is there a way to line up / adjust the vent window.?? The top of my vent window is off by a hair, the top hits the division bar...so there for it doesn't close. The top of the division bar holes are not slotted (so no adjustment).....Thanks in advance
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the shape of the door has changed, I would check that the wing glass is fully seated in the wing frame. I don't remember any adjustment in the positioning of the wing on a stock replacement.
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooooo, thanks. I think the glass is in. It's a newly purchased from WW, not re-doing one
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.classicvwbugs.com/2012/10/25/classic-vw...-part-1-3/

That is a job that I have done on my '60 and it can be a challenge. Make sure that the vent rubber seal is fully seated. One variable can be the quality of the seal itself. Chris at Classicvwbugs.com has a 3 part video on door assembly which I found to be very helpful. Part 3 addresses your question. Chris suggests leaving the division bar and window regulator screws loose and after winding up the window and assuring everything is aligned OK, then tighten everything up. I did this and it helped but in my case the major challenge I had was the fit of the rubber seal.
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, everything is loose & I have been following the 3 step classic vw bug videos. What about the vent window bracket (the one that goes inside the door) how does it go..? is there a R & L side..? I think I have it right but now im doubting myself
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is what you are referring to, it fits both left and right. Is it a new rubber seal? In my case, the passenger side vent installed easily. I had to really fight with the driver's side. Eventually I got a good fit. As a last resort, could the holes in the bar be elongated enough to create some adjustment room? Not sure if that would work. Again I would make sure that the seal is completely seated. Good luck in getting this sorted out.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837685
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya that's it, I think I have it right. The flat (errr) side sits on the inside of the door. I have to try & figure something out to make it work. Im going to do the driver side, taking a break from the passenger side
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Vent window post misalignment Reply with quote

I am having the same issue with the driver's side vent window post on my '62. Viewing it from the outside, the glass overhangs the post by about 1/16". New window with frame, post and seal all from WW. I followed Chris's video (thank goodness for him!) and I was able to get the seal in after some time but the post seems to be misaligned. While there is some "wiggle room" for the bottom of the post, none exists at the top. I am going to take a break from this for a while but am considering opening up the holes at the top of the post to move it over a bit. BTW, I have found that parts from WW can sometimes be not manufactured the same as the originals-I purchased door stops from them and the holes that the screws go in were off a bit (ended up cleaning up the original part); similar thing happened when I purchased door strikes-part was manufactured incorrectly. I may have to check the vent window I purchased from them to see if it is not the same as the original..or maybe it's the post? Meanwhile, anyone have some encouraging thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: vent window misalignment Reply with quote

A follow-up to my previous post-I tried reinstalling the original vent window and it resulted in the same issue. Removed the new seal and compared it to the old one...the new one was longer by about 1/2" and of course, thicker. Installed the old seal back (wasn't all that bad) and everything fit nicely. So I ended up with new door scrapers, new vent window and divider, new window felt channels...only took two days but I did learn a lot about my car. BTW, the old seal is in many ways better as it is notched (can't think of a better description) around the turn so that it fits a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: