Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newb Needs Help Before Wrenching
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gallantd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Newb Needs Help Before Wrenching Reply with quote

Hey All,

I am a recent VW bus owner. I bought a 78 Kombi 2L last year. Since I have had to do some minor repairs, such as cables and brakes etc.

However, this year is a different story. I will map out my issues and work. Please help me troubleshoot this issue.

In spring upon first start up the vehicle would not start. I cleaned posts on battery and then had a friend boost me. I was on my way.

Within a few weeks the van was not starting again. I began starting it by cleaning contact of wires on starter. Then it started.

But then the issue got worse. Sometimes tapping solenoid would work other times I had to jump the solenoid and other times nothing at all. Then I started bomb starting. That resolved everywhere, since I live in BC and there are hills everywhere.

I bought a new starter, still in box. I went to change it out but I cannot find the access to the one bolt that is in backwards apparently. Help!

Then recently my headlights began to flicker and fade. When my RPMs are high the lights are very bright, perhaps more than normal. I started being concerned and did not drive at night.

Then I seemed to feel a lugging once in awhile. Then I was forced to drive at night. The lights faded and the van broke down on highway. In morning I drove back home, an hour away with no issue.

I had battery tested and it was garbage. So I presume my alternator is hooped.

I cannot find an alternator in Canada currently, I am waiting for CIP1 to get some.

I thought I would keep driving the van on new battery to see if in fact the alternator was zonked or not. Today I was driving to gas station and ran out of gas right at the gas station parking lot hahahaha. But then the van ran for a minute and died. Even with the new battery.

Maybe this new battery is toasted too?
Maybe it is alternator

The last time I got van running it seemed to run until I turned lights on then since then the van won't run at all.

I got towed home.

I hope to get some insights before I start replace parts as a way to troubleshoot.

Any advice or insight?
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the world of old Busses. First, bolt to top of starter is top right 17mm nut on engine, from back inside looking forward, one of four holding engine on to tranny. Since you have a 2L., it might be behind some stuff. Also sounds like you need to get a Bentley manual and read it thoroughly. Stalling could be several things. Start with drain gas tank (probably has 40+ years of gunk clogging stuff up, might need cleaning) , replace all fuel lines and put a new filter underneath the tank, not in engine compartment. Do you still have fuel injection or carb/s? Pic would help. As to charging, did you take the alternator and have it checked? It could be alternator, regulator, or wiring issue. Kinda sounds like brushes are worn out. Probably not battery, does not take much to start a Bus.Again , Bentley will give lots of tips on figuring this out as it is pretty simple system. Learn the "search" function here, lots of threads on everything. Good luck. And post pics!
gallantd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks for feedback I am posting a link to pics of my van

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2dxbyrtuoq2dpp4/AAD6_7KUd4fJyKm3jJC29tgFa?dl=0

I will pull alternator and then take it to a guy who apparently does brushes etc.

Is it ever possible that if alternator fails so severely that it will not even run off of battery?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple test if u have a meter is at a fast idle measure voltage at large post on alt, should be around 14+volts with a good batt, but not over 14.5v.Turn on lights and see if it holds the voltage above 13.5, bad regulator wont keep v correct. Not too familiar with those bays, if yours has a external regulator if so it could be bad & alt ok.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newb Needs Help Before Wrenching Reply with quote

gallantd wrote:
... I bought a new starter, still in box. I went to change it out but I cannot find the access to the one bolt that is in backwards apparently. ...

That is the D-bolt. The notched end fits into the starter housing and the the nut and washer are behind the fan shroud. A 17mm box wrench can be used to loosen the nut and a 17mm ratcheting box wrench can be used to easily remove the nut.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=ratcheting+box+wrench

When reinstalling the starter use a bit of butyl under the head of the D-bolt to hold it in place while you struggle to put the washer and nut on the threads that cannot see and can only feel. It helps if you have cleaned and oiled the threads.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a CE with gas heater and 70amp alt so have the 70amp rebuilt locally as they are really getting hard to find with the correct fan/pulley.
Lots of hidden rust that you should tackle at some point like the sliding door track and the jack point.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: