Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super. Reply with quote

So the subject gives you the jist. This thing is custom so I do not feel terrible about the perversion. I need to figure out how to adapt the pre 67 towel bars to a 73 super. The car just has the cal-look T bars now. I have been diggin for weeks now and there was only samba thread with broken links from 2003. I am hoping someone can guide me here.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impossible. The car will blow up. Or the wheels will fall off.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super. Reply with quote

Superman74 wrote:
... I need to figure out how to adapt the pre 67 towel bars to a 73 super. ...

Correct.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super. Reply with quote

Superman74 wrote:
So the subject gives you the jist. This thing is custom so I do not feel terrible about the perversion. I need to figure out how to adapt the pre 67 towel bars to a 73 super. The car just has the cal-look T bars now. I have been diggin for weeks now and there was only samba thread with broken links from 2003. I am hoping someone can guide me here.

Towel bars do look nice.

Last edited by iowegian on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are some pretty passive aggressive replies there. I guess I should have asked what you wanted to talk about instead?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman74 wrote:
Wow, those are some pretty passive aggressive replies there. I guess I should have asked what you wanted to talk about instead?

I am not sure what a towel bar is on a vw. I mean I have a couple in my bathroom but none on my car. I guess my roll cage can work as one.

Do you mean a 67 bumper? Can't see that looking good on a super.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start by buying a set of the right pre '68 bumper brackets. You'll need to measure a pre- '68 car to get the target distance from the fenders correct. Then, it's really just a matter of attaching a portion of those brackets to the ones you've got. I don't know what a '73 super bracket looks like- but if they are the flat (non-absorbing type)- they should be pretty easy.

I used to see the later-to-earlier style bumper brackets at swap meets all the time. People are getting away from them as a style trend. I always think the look a little silly- as they adapt from tall to shorter (in height) with a taper on the top side. They may position the bumpe rat the right height overall that way- but the brackets I think would look better with an even taper.

Another idea for reference on what they look like is to do a gallery search under "Briz"- they often had tapered brackets on the late cars too.

Hope this helps.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem will be that the curve of the front sheet metal is different than the earlier bugs. It could be done, but you would have to make your own brackets.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman74 wrote:

Come on, these are not aggressive replies. It was intended as a joke, while at the same time saying that it would not look good. Mixing year specific details is rarely a good idea. (One exception could be to put 68-73 Euro bumpers on an american 74 on car instead of the titanic 5 mph bumpers of american 74 to 79 cars)

The front of the Super is very different from the pre 67 standard. Also, the bumper brackets moved from the inside of the apron to the outside in 67/68, ie. the old bracket holes are in the apron for the towel bar bumpers, and in the fenders for post 67 cars. Thats a whole lot of trouble right there.

Most comments here are well meant, not aggressive.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray, 73 bumpers are not shock absorbing. Buy the pre 67 bumper, buy a couple of pieces of thick plate steel. Make the brackets to fit the bumper. Welding might come in handy. I put a metal cutting blade on my table saw, makes short work of cutting thick plate.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Superman74 wrote:

Towel bars do look nice.

On the cars they belong on..'67 and earlier...a '73 super is what it is,a fine driving and handling beetle that has honest clean lines in its stock configuration..
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for taking the responses the wrong way. I fully understand how incorrect this will look to those educated on the VW.

This thread was not created for the VW puritan elites. Rather, it is intended to take a very molested and tattered 73 super (destined for the scrap yard) and create a custom VW.

The dash is not original. The wheels aren’t original, the doors were converted to one piece glass, there aren’t any bumpers, the seats aren't original either. I bought a new custom dash, spent 6K on the drive line, and converted back to original glass.

When I was homeless I would go to the VA hospital weekly to handle my ptsd and other issues. This car is my only creative outlet and helps keeps me grounded. My 6 and 8 year old nephews are having a blast helping me and we settled on non-stock bumpers. I just wanted to elicit some help in seeing my project through.

I know you all can appreciate that. One day I will be better positioned to restore rather than pervert a classic.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman74 wrote:
I fully understand how incorrect this will look to those who are stock nazis about the VW.

There, I corrected it for you. BTW, I prefer stock but that's just my preference.

You DID say right at the start it was a perversion. On this site it's also called an abortion. But it's what YOU want to do. So IMO there's no need to apologize. Fortunately you got some constructive answers. Good luck on the effort. I for one would like to see how it comes out.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned and worked on VWs for over 40 years, have subscribed to Hot VWs all those years. I have absolutely no idea what a "towel bar" is. Of course, didn't know what someone called an "Oh Shit" handle either, have enough issues trying to comprehend dizzy , mani, etc....that's usually reason enough for me to skip such posts...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapting Towel Bars onto a 73 super. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Superman74 wrote:

Towel bars do look nice, in a bathroom.

FIFY.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are adapter brackets at MAM but I haven't used them so no guarantees!
Front
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/308033

Rear
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/bumper-adapter-brcketsearr_308027

Hope that helps. I'm planning on doing the same to mine when the right bumpers come along. Til then I have the stock ones!
Ian

My 1679 Engine build.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or you can just drill holes in the stock bumper and mount the towel bars.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
BEWARE, click if you DARE
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/743452.jpg

or you can just drill holes in the stock bumper and mount the towel bars.

Damn... just put a link and a disclaimer on that picture.

Now where's the mind bleach?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
...I have absolutely no idea what a "towel bar" is.

The Samba dictionary to the rescue:

"Towel bars: Slang term given to the overrider portion of the bumpers on VW Beetles."

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/t.php

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: