Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded in Flagstaff, AZ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Stranded in Flagstaff, AZ Reply with quote

So my Westy and I made the epic drive from Tahoe to Needles, down the Eastern Sierra, over several 7500+ ft passes, across the desert, past the burnt out meth labs, not a hiccup.

Yesterday, leave Needles, start meandering my way up I-40, until near Seligman, the temp gauge goes bananas. The oil light came on, and I pulled the ripcord. Looked under the van to see coolant pouring out and smelled a few drips of oil. Main coolant tank empty.

I had checked out Roadhaus ahead of time and knew there some VW shops in Flagstaff, but of course, on a holiday weekend, nobody there. One reviewer told their story of how the Flag KOA people helped, so I called them. "Sure, no problem, we've got room, you can tow it right in. Don't worry, you're not first VW to be towed in this weekend."

The staff is filled VW fanatics. They gave me a VW discount because they like to look after their VW people. Turns out they host a VW event, the High Country Kampout every July.

I've had better trips, but I've also had worse. There are far worse things than to be stranded in Flagstaff, and a Westy is not a bad vehicle to be stranded in.

Thanks Jim and Janyel! The nicest, most helpful folks around.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the oil smell is most likely the steam cleaning effect of hot coolant and steam getting existing oil on the engine to activate its evaporative smelling components. Unless you are actually seeing oil from something. So, focus on what is causing the coolant leak, then recheck for any oil leaks.

Sounds like you are not asking for any help? So good luck with it and glad you are in a good spot that is good for all of us to know about.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the KOA land was sold after the owner died to be turned into a supermarket.

They're great folks!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil light or maybe it was the alt light? Have you been under the hatch for a look?

Could be you just threw a belt - the alt belt also drives the water pump. Losing that belt
stops both, giving you both the alt light and soon thereafter your overheating event.

Check it out... Rolling Eyes

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: T junction, now what? Reply with quote

Got into R&R Automotive Flagstaff right away Tues morning, a pressure test revealed a busted T junction, which was suspected. Fixed, refilled, tested, good to go. Drove to Sedona and around for a couple of days. This morning, a nice puddle of coolant, drip, drip. Traced it to the hose from the radiator to the housing where the thermostat is. Tightened the hose clamp, leak stopped. Time for another top off and bleed.

I could probably get around Four Corners faster on my bike. Instead, I tour VW mechanics.

I remain optimistic, I WILL get this cooling system dialed in.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the strong survive a Vanagon Very Happy Laughing
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Two Bleeds Reply with quote

First shop I called and asked if they could top off and bleed a Vanagon replied that they needed to see it to know. Second shop checked and said no problem. Except the mechanic got it wrong. Five miles later it puked out all its coolant. Again. Sent it back and this time they did their homework.

Why does my van pass pressure tests, then puke coolant?

Is the cooling system such that you must test multiple times in different places?
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: It's a 30-year old car! Reply with quote

FWIW, there was a thread recently where somebody was experiencing a series of blowouts and leaks which came to a stop when he replaced the coolant reservoir pressure cap. Apparently the old one was clamping down pretty tight and the pressure exceeded normal. Might be a cheap fix. Do any of the rest of you miss your old air-cooled rigs? I never had to worry about a coolant leak with mine.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combustion gases could also be entering the cooling system. Pressure testing might not show it as combustion pressures are MUCH higher and might leak into the cooling system where the coolant pressure doesn't leak out.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the pressure cap thread, but mine is less than a year old. I have the receipt, and fond the old one in the rear cabinet. As for exhaust gases entering the system, that sounds pretty mysterious to diagnose. Any tips about where to look?

Thanks gang.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any FLAPS will have a test kit for exhaust gases in the coolant.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
I saw the pressure cap thread, but mine is less than a year old. I have the receipt, and fond the old one in the rear cabinet. As for exhaust gases entering the system, that sounds pretty mysterious to diagnose. Any tips about where to look?

Thanks gang.

Those pressure caps are notorious for defects right off the shelf.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Now what? Reply with quote

OK-

Busted t-junction, fixed.
Loose hose clamp tightened.
Cracked radiator hose, replaced
New expansion tank and pressure cap
New belts (why not?)
Bled more than a medieval leech. (doctor)

NOW, drove it up to the Jerome Jamboree and ran a bit hot, temp a bit high, a couple flashes as I idled around looking for a campsite after a steep climb. Same problem driving up Oak Creek Canyon. Gave the van a nice rest, finished the climb to Flagstaff, running a little hot, but not bad. No coolant leaks . . .

EXCEPT the overflow tank is over flowing, way above the max line, dripping a bit out the cap, not enough to make a puddle. Meanwhile, the main tank is at minimum.

Any thoughts?

I'm also a little tired of the air cooled guys just shaking their heads at me.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thoughts but I have a great mechanic in Flag if your still around here. He used to be a VW factory mechanic during the time vanagons were produced and now owns his own shop. He has done very very solid work for me and a few other vanagon owners up here.

wilson's automotive
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
No thoughts but I have a great mechanic in Flag if your still around here. He used to be a VW factory mechanic during the time vanagons were produced and now owns his own shop. He has done very very solid work for me and a few other vanagon owners up here.

wilson's automotive

Thanks. Yes, I'm in Flag tonight. I will call in the morning, who should I ask for?
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for Jim Wilson. Let him know Mike Hudson referred you. If you need a hand with anything or some workshop space please PM me and I'll do what I can.
cheers
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-cooled buses leak coolant all the time.. they jut can't see it because it's invisible

that is untill they drop a valve seat or stretch the head off of a valve..

and if air-cooled are soo reliable and easy to work on. why are they working on them all the time too?

ask them about their heat? maybe 15% would have some...
some that fogs up the glass in the rain/humid air cold air.

Quote:
I'm also a little tired of the air cooled guys just shaking their heads at me

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
air-cooled buses leak coolant all the time.. they jut can't see it because it's invisible

that is untill they drop a valve seat or stretch the head off of a valve..

and if air-cooled are soo reliable and easy to work on. why are they working on them all the time too?

ask them about their heat? maybe 15% would have some...
some that fogs up the glass in the rain/humid air cold air.

True. My WBX may puke coolant, but they puke oil. Seems like it's one or the other.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a great time in jerome this year! we'll have to meet up one of these shows, veg Cool

if it's really running hot then it sounds like the system is working perfectly fine.
turn the engine off and it will pull coolant back into the pressure tank. right?

you wouldn't have done something like have the belt in the wrong spot on the crank pulley, would you?
just askin... Laughing
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
had a great time in jerome this year! we'll have to meet up one of these shows, veg Cool

if it's really running hot then it sounds like the system is working perfectly fine.
turn the engine off and it will pull coolant back into the pressure tank. right?

you wouldn't have done something like have the belt in the wrong spot on the crank pulley, would you?
just askin... Laughing

The problem is the coolant is in the wrong tank. The expansion tank is low, and the overflow tank is way too full. For some reason, the coolant isn't flowing back into the main tank when it cools down. The blest, and everything else was done by a pro. Will continue to investigate further tomorrow morning.

Jerome was great. Hoping to make it to Havasu in Jan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: