Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine kit
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozvw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: engine kit Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 74 beetle. I want to build a new 2110 cc engine. Can anyone tell me the difference or pros/cons of CB and SCAT? There is a huge difference in the price and I am not sure why (CB is almost twice the price). need your help...
thanks!
Oz
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw up links to the kits so we can compare them. One example could be is that one kit has a cast crank, while the other is forged. One might have Chinese parts while the other is made in the USA.

It's always best to do some research on each individual part, before you pull the $$$ trigger.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went and looked, and the SCAT kits were mostly, if not all, cast pistons and cranks. I would take the CB Kits any day.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are building from a kit you are building down to a price.

Pick your price point.

I have seen engines built from kits from both those suppliers, and from another. It is what you expect from the price - good value, but not what I would do when shooting for that performance level. (You will get used to most Sambas in this forum being perfectionists, though.)
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are set on a kit, also check out DRDRacing Heads and Aircooled.net.
https://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-Long-Block-Engine-Kits.html
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not go wrong with a DRD Kit. It will be balanced and dead nuts on the money, plus his tech advice is priceless.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"*This is a engine parts kit, Final deck height, compression ratio, push rod lenght , and end play will need to be set by the engine builder. All parts kits bundles, include 5 tech support calls or emails to get you up and running. Additional technical support may be purchased."
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
"*This is a engine parts kit, Final deck height, compression ratio, push rod lenght , and end play will need to be set by the engine builder. All parts kits bundles, include 5 tech support calls or emails to get you up and running. Additional technical support may be purchased."

And whats your point? You expect buying a kit from someone automatically includes start to finish? 5 calls is lots of help. Buying a kit constitutesand implies either yourself or a hired builder is building that possesses fair knowledge on how to build it.
I have spoken to Darren face to face trading vw war stories and I agree with him. There isnt a lot of money in engine building for the amount of labor it details. I dont blame him for wanting to stop building engines and concentrate on his cnc program. His kits are quality stuff.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think it is rather generous, but people should be aware that you can't buy a kit then expect the seller to lead you through assembly.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many are not aware that SCAT makes 4 different levels of "engine kits". Most stores sell the bottom one in their magazine ads. I do NOT recommend a cast crank in anything over 60hp, but that's my personal opinion.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: