Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over our head! Help?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Over our head! Help? Reply with quote

Greetings!

My son recently picked up an 1835 engine. We heard it run, bought it, put it in his little 63 rag top.

Issue now is getting that to run reliably ... We have no paperwork, so no clue what specifics went into it! It has a "mild cam" ... what is that? Do we adjust timing differently (as I suspect) for that? It has just the basic Solex 34 PICT 3 carb on it for now.

I dug out an old article explaining how to adjust the 34 pict 3 carb. We and PO had been mucking with the throttle screw as you SHOULD NOT on a 34. So I adjusted that back and played with the correct two screws ...

It still would NOT idle without the throttle rather high!

Guess admitting we are over our heads and wondering if anybody could offer some suggestions, tips or time to get this baby running right?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Over our head! Help? Reply with quote

it most likely has a "110 cam", which is too large to work with a 34-3 carb. It will idle well with dual carbs.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Thanks John! Reply with quote

Was wondering that ... dual carbs get expensive, this is my school teacher son!

So not even jets could help that 34-3?

Also what about timing with a 110 (what I figured too) cam? Does that not require some spark advance?

Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks John! Reply with quote

Ignition timing depends on the distributor used, not the camshaft.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks John! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Ignition timing depends on the distributor used, not the camshaft.

And chamber shape (hemi)

and fuel (e85) Wink

just messing with you. Laughing

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And outside air temp, as to how far you can go before it starts pinging on you.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea A 1835cc engine will run somewhat in a street using car.

And yes..... it would run a lot better with Dual carbs that would feed those large 92mm pistons.....then again the situation is what to do now in order to make the car run.

First make sure the main jet is at #130 from the normal #127.5 many have.

Timing would be at 7.5 degrees BTDC with a vac dist or mechanical dist.

A #110 Cam that many use is a small increase for a street driven car while also used in a Turbo application that I use in a 1776cc engine.

Your engine is basically the same as mine except I have the 90.5 pistons while yours is the 92's and a 34-3 carb while I have the sidedraft and Turbo.

Anyway, static set the dist to the 7.5 mark on the pully.

Back out both the Lge Air and Small mixture screws in the carb about 2-3 turns.

I always adjust the choke so it is just 1/8 " from closing and then tighten the three screws. If you were to pull back on the carb arm the choke should close to that 1/8" spot and then flick it with your finger to see that the internal spring is working properly.

Holding the choke open with your finger adjust the arm idle screw until it touches the bottom step of the plus 1/4 of a turn of the crews.

This to make sure the throttle plate is a hair above being closed and the engine should idle when running after the auto choke has warmed up and opens the choke all the way.

Doing a long rendition here so please bear with me as so many here have a problem with the 34-3 and it's adjustment when stock engine is being used while you have the 1835 to work with.

Okay, engine has warmed up and the choke has opened so now you turn the lge Carb screw in and the engine RPM should slow down to a point it starts to hesitate....then back off 2 turns as a starter.

Now turn the Small Mixture screw in until the engine starts to hesitate and then back it off 2 turns.

Now comes the Fine adjusting. Turn the Lge screw in until engine hesitates and then back off 1-1/2 turns....do the same with the Small mixture screw til it hesitates and then back off 3/4 to 1 turn.

This last idle screw may be vary engine to engine based upon the cam used while the Small mixture screw can vary depending on the Main jet etc.

This was all a starter point and results/adjustments will vary to the needs.

What I have shown here was my usage in 28yrs building engines for a living.
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you! I hope my son has the time to do these steps this week end and hope to have better news to post!

However, I keep reading that the Solex 34 PICT 3 is NOT the carb to have on this ... joyous!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Yes, if the camshaft has that much duration, it can be quite a challenge to get it to run right with a 34 Pict carb.
I suspect the engine has a 009 distributor, which is part of the problem. HRVW is almost correct. But with more than stock cam duration it is paramount that the timing at idle is set at 10-12 degree BTDC (You may need to shorten the advance curve to get it right.) Use an SVDA (single vacum) distributor.

It would be a good idea to post a picture of the engine, so the eagle eye (Good term John Very Happy ) people can spot anomalies, if any. There most likely is.
You will also experience that your idle will be much better around 950 -1000 rpm. A little high, but live with it.
Furthermore, check the idle jet size, or better all jet sizes.

Once we/you get the idle better we can begin finetuning it.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Grrrr Reply with quote

Greetings!

I LOVE this site! I despise ... the "search" ... I have tried and can not find, instructions on how to ... upload a video or pic! I have both on this engine, would love to share.

Please?

Thanks for all the help!!!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Grrrr Reply with quote

RedRalf wrote:
Greetings!

I LOVE this site! I despise ... the "search" ... I have tried and can not find, instructions on how to ... upload a video or pic! I have both on this engine, would love to share.

Please?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Check out this link for posting photos . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Ja but ... Reply with quote

Thanks 57! But ... I had seen that, it does not mention video. Wanted to upload a video of this beast running!

Might just have to fumble and try it anyway.
RedRalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Hangs head ... Reply with quote

OK so I have heard that confession is good for the soul. Though not convinced, I will give it a go.

I write this with a confused combination of pride (in my son), embarrassment and humor.

Lesson REitterated, once again: NEVER assume!

I hate it when I "know better" ... but don't follow through!

"Recent build" 1835 engine was bought running in car, removed, installed and issues ensued.

My son contacted me last night, he found more "issues" we had foolishly assumed ... would / could NEVER happen ... but DID!

He found TWO broken spark plug wires AND a barely contacting coil wire!!!!! PO apparently had hard time learning to only remove spark plug wires by the boot! There were two wires he said barely contacting in the boots!

Back to square one ...

Hope by week end to have MUCH better update!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: