Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts & Accessories sign
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Parts & Accessories sign Reply with quote

Hi. I found this yesterday. It's probably from the 70's or so. It appears to have lit up at some point, there is a hole in the side where the cord came out. I can hear bulbs knocking around inside, also. Has anyone got any experience with one of these as far as getting it apart? I'd like to make it light up again. I tried taking the 2 cap nuts off one end there and that didn't seem to do much.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's certainly not extremely old or anything but I like it! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AUTOBAHN accessories line started in the mid - late '70's.
Nice Sign.
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Signs Reply with quote

Very Nice Indeed. I have two. I had the privilege of cutting the cord on one and removing it from the Dealership!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that this sign is of the type that the plastic was flexed in at the top and/or the bottom to get the lip free of the frame (visible in the center section). Given the age of the sign, be very careful if you should choose to do this as old plastic is fragile and not as flexible as it once was.

I'm always looking for good candidates to add to my collection, PM me if you get tired of this sign.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I posted this. The sign is all apart right now. A friend who is an electrician has the frame and is fitting a new cord, switch and ballast if it needs it. It's not in as great condition as it looks, there is a hairline crack above the S in Parts. It's not bad though. The VW and Autobahn pieces are mint, the center section is the rough part. To get them out without flexing or anything you remove an end piece, and it all slides out on the built in track, no flexing! When I get the frame back and all put together again I will post a pic of it in all its lit up glory!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts & Accessories sign Reply with quote

It took a while to get the sign back. The friend blamed the sign for shorting out the fuses in his garage then misplaced it for a couple of years. He returned it today with a parts sign to use for the ballast. I swapped in the ballast and wired it up and here it is!

It mostly works but it's tempermental, I'm guessing the old bulb contacts are no good. I'll nudge the bulb slightly it'll go on, go to put the end cover back and off it goes. So I think just getting a whole other light and swapping everything is the way to go. It's nice to have it back though. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: