Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: hood Reply with quote

I like the windsheild frame on this buggy , would love to do that to mine
Do you have a mold for that ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairly certain its a Sharpbuilt GS Limo they started with.

http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/sharpbuilt1/home.htm

ECR in Maine used to sell them before they started assembling Manxters. They use a super beetle windsccreen. Would be fairly straight forward to splash one off of a super body and graft it into a manx hood/dash. I looked into one years ago. IIRC, they have an inner steel frame too.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the hood project coming?

heidelberg, where did the manxters all go that ecr built? they were impressive builds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
fairly certain its a Sharpbuilt GS Limo they started with.

http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/sharpbuilt1/home.htm

ECR in Maine used to sell them before they started assembling Manxters. They use a super beetle windsccreen. Would be fairly straight forward to splash one off of a super body and graft it into a manx hood/dash. I looked into one years ago. IIRC, they have an inner steel frame too.

hmm sort of, we splashed it off the Panther GS which is what Mike copied to Make the First Sharpbuilt GS off and then he copied a Bounty Hunter for the V2.

By the time we finished that was all that was left of the old girl, the screen surround.

As suggested it is an L-Bug / Curved Beetle Screen which we grafted into a front sealed section.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: hood Reply with quote

[quote="monomanx"]how is the hood project coming?
I got a bit side tracked again , picked up a Polaris Ranger UTV that needs some work
That will make it to the top of the list so it can move to make some $ for all the other projects
I really like the curved screen , so if I understand this I could splash off a super bug to make the mold , I assume a convertable is the best to use
Larry
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: hood Reply with quote

[quote="sandhopper"]
monomanx wrote:
how is the hood project coming?
I got a bit side tracked again , picked up a Polaris Ranger UTV that needs some work
That will make it to the top of the list so it can move to make some $ for all the other projects
I really like the curved screen , so if I understand this I could splash off a super bug to make the mold , I assume a convertable is the best to use
Larry

Correct Vert screen will be easier as you don't have to worry about cutting it out
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting those pictures. I had talked to Mike(?) at ECR about the GS limo windscreens.

I don't know if he was delivering bodies shipped from Australia or if they had molds. He said the entire front of the body was fairly different from a typical manx/clone.

Not sure what happened to ECR building Manxters. They appeared to do very nice work, but they did also seem to be a bit critical of some parts of the manxter in their write ups. The yellow buggy was like #003 I think, which was originally built a relative of Bruce Meyers. It was the one from the BFG ads.

splashing a superbeetle windshield and cowl, then custom fabbing it to fit a manx and an opening hood like the kickout would be awesome..
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: hood Reply with quote

Again with distraction
I found a full lenght buggy that need some repair , picked it up cheap
The hood from it fits much better , so I will try and make a copy of it
Now the question I have , is if I'm only going to make a copy do I need to make a mold from this and then make the hood
Can I just cover the hood with release wax and lay fiberglass on top and use that as the new hood
Larry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: