Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 head-ache
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: T4 head-ache Reply with quote

I have a 82 vanagon head that dropped a seat. Who can repair that head.
I have talked to couple of people and they say buy a new one. That is not what I'm asking.
Who can repair the head with a new seat. local machin shops say they do not have the tools for that.
Thanks
oconnell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be going to basic auto machine shops. 20 years ago an automotive machine shop that cannot change valve seats would surprise me. Not now though.

Look for a machine shop that advertizes racing engines. Its not that its any more expensive....but racers use noth cast iron and aluminum heads. Expensive aluminum heads get new seat inserts all the time. A racing shop will have the equipment.....or more readily said...they will have the knowledge. It does not take special equipment. It just takes a mill, a heat source/oven to heat the head and a press.

That being said.....they should have some experience with type 4 engines. They will have to remove the seats....weld and cool method, or undercut/stress relieve and slide hammer method....or other methods, then bore the seat area slightly oversize to get to un-molested aluminum....then press in new correct sized seats for type 4 head (with a correct interference fit) and then probably machine the inner bore (maybe before hand) and then cut the seats. To do this proper it would be ideal to have new valve guides.

Really.....you would probably be better off...If you dont have all of the information to instruct the machinist with.....to simply send your heads off to Adrain at headflow masters, Len at HAM Inc or possibly Rimco.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: machine valve seat Reply with quote

the machinist is a German fellow and has been in business for about 35 years. He said he does not have the proper tools for VW head work of an kind. He does a lot of American engine stuff.
I will continue to check around
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: head work Reply with quote

Is there someone in Des Moines who I could send them to? The three vw repair buggy shops said better off buying new heads, not an option for my first T4 build.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: head work Reply with quote

oconnell wrote:
Is there someone in Des Moines who I could send them to? The three vw repair buggy shops said better off buying new heads, not an option for my first T4 build.

I know of no automotive shops in Des Moines. I do all of my own work. I send machine work to shops I know in Oklahoma and Texas. They are not vw shops....but i know the owners and give exact instruction on what i need.
There are probably some good shops here just like everywhere....I just dont know them only been here 2.5 years.

If you are willing to ship to des moines.....ship to HAM in Alabama I think....or just send to Headflow masters . The shipping cost is just not a significant part of the rebuild. You are looking at about $35 each direction. Those two companies specialize in type 4.
Also you need to make sure your heads are even rebuildable. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all of my own work too... except the work that I can't do, just like you Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAM inc. Is, Hoffman automotive in Watkinsville, GA.
Headflow masters and Hoffman are about the two best type 4 head shops in the business.
If your head is repairable. ...they, can do it correctly and proffesionally. Ray
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My domestic machinist says he can rebuild 914 heads but he is expensive so I doubt I would have them do it. I wonder if your local guy just does not want to do the work. The shops around where I live say they can do acvws if the part is flat and they can bolt it down without having a special fixture.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
My domestic machinist says he can rebuild 914 heads but he is expensive so I doubt I would have them do it. I wonder if your local guy just does not want to do the work. The shops around where I live say they can do acvws if the part is flat and they can bolt it down without having a special fixture.

Yeah.....those are the kind of machine shop that scare me.....but generally a few questions will tell you if there is any reason to be scared. If the shop has good tools, experienced people and WILL TAKE INSTRUCTIONS....and not just wing it based on experience thatchas nothing to do with, acvw's....they will do just fine.

There are no good shops that work on type 4 heads that are not expensive. I have not found good watercooled work to cost any different than good aircooled work. Ray
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
There are no good shops that work on type 4 heads that are not expensive. I have not found good watercooled work to cost any different than good aircooled work. Ray

This I have also found to be true.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
type47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
...to simply send your heads off to Adrain at headflow masters, Len at HAM Inc or possibly Rimco.

wisdom here: that if one head dropped a seat maybe the other head is close behind/do both or buy both
157000 08/2014
158000 05/2015
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: