Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I get my 72 beetle from CA to WV.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splated
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: How do I get my 72 beetle from CA to WV. Reply with quote

I'm Moving to West Virginia from California, and I really want to bring my 72 with me. If I can't find a way to move it I'll be forced to sell it.

I need a cost effective way to get it there. The bug is running but I don't trust it to go that far and we will need a second car anyways for all our stuff.

Our current plan is to Tow it with a 4cyl Toyota Tacoma. I have never towed anything before, And I'm looking for advice.

Is a tow bar safe for that long of a trip or is a dolly better?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A u-haul car trailer is the best way. But a tow dolly is no better than a flat tow with a $50 bug tow bar. Either way, go easy on the 4 cyl. Toyota or you'll be back to one family car.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Splated
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be done with a flat tow or am I risking destroying my transmission? Its a manual.

Cost is also a big problem. My original plan was to rent a Pod and put the bug inside, But for that distance we are looking at $4-5K.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 'drive it'. VWs have been driven across countries for decades! Leave it with friends for now and come back and collect when you are settled

OR: Is the Toyota a 2.7? If so.. it will tow a 900kg Bug EASY (as long as there is not too much other crap inside!)
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is, is it rust free?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive it man.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat tow it and never look back-----------------because when you look back you'll see a VW tailgating you and that might really piss you off.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed mine about 1400 miles. I would not hesitate to tow it from California to West Virginia.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say "We"

Have one of you drive the VW and one drive the Toyota. If you run into problems with the VW. Toss the tow bar on and finish the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Have one of you drive the VW and one drive the Toyota. If you run into problems with the VW. Toss the tow bar on and finish the trip.

More likely: if you run into problems with the Toyota, hop in the VW and drive to find help.

OK, maybe "joking". If me I would use my VW tow bar. I towed a VW300 miles with it.

A few weeks ago I towed a VW locally with my 4-cylinder 1998 Nissan Frontier (125hp); my guess is that your Tacoma has more hp than that.

Back in the 1970s where I worked, we towed VWs and dune buggies 100 miles using a VW dune buggy, like 50hp. And that wasn't just level towing either, also highways up to 100 miles.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple things. Uhaul isnt going to rent you a trailer to tow with a tacoma. So nix that idea. A tow dolly...Kinda scary actually. I'd tow with a regular tow bar and all four wheels on the ground before I used a dolly.

If you do the tow bar, make sure all the tires are good, the alignment is good, and the bearings are good. It should work fine

Another good idea, would be to just buy a 4 wheel trailer with trailer brakes. Use it and sell the trailer when you get there. It will be cheaper in the long run. A tacoma will pull a bug and a 4 wheel trailer just fine. Not so much on stopping though, which is why I suggested the trailer brakes
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splated
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thank you for the replies!

iowegian wrote:
Flat tow it and never look back-----------------because when you look back you'll see a VW tailgating you and that might really piss you off.

Funny you should say that just today a bug was tailgating me, made a joke to my wife that we will be seeing that for a while.

Brian wrote:
Drive it man.

I have been driving it around town but for driving that far , its not real trustworthy and I'm only just starting to learn to how to do my own upkeep. Plus the driver seat has a few springs that are "a pain in the ass!"

blue72beetle wrote:
The real question is, is it rust free?

Its in good shape metal wise.

I'm planing to buy the Tow Bar, and do a test tow to a relative who knows bugs well and have him check it out.

I have 2 options for what I hook it too I can bumper tow (still checking on that ) or I can buy a tow hitch kit for under the car.

According to all my tacoma research, it can tow 3500lb So I should be good.

Fun side note the speedometer cable is currently broken in the bug so if I don't fix it the odometer wont record this epic trip.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to revisit this. Yes, your Tacoma will tow a trailer with your bug on it. Just make sure it's up to snuff. It does little good to tow a trailer that has better brakes and tires than the tow vehicle.

I've flat towed 100s of miles without any issues- just remember- you cannot back up! Tie a bungie cord to the steering wheel so it doesn't jackknife pulling into steep/tight gas stations.

Read the threads on flat towing- all the warnings and such. I'm the only guy in the US apparently who recommends disconnecting (or fully removing) the speedo cable. When it overheats and fries- you won't be in the bug to hear it's warning squeals before it happens.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution: If there isn't there should be a law against exporting Volkswagens out of California.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat tow it. You definitely want the tow bar that will have the proper connection. The Standard uses one type of tow bar and Super beetle uses another style. Make sure if that is what you decide that you obtain the tow lights.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I agree with flat towing:

Driving it a few thousand will be no problemo if it is well maintained. These cars use to be able to handle anything, and I mean anything. A few thopusand should be no problem for a mediocre rebuild and decent transmission with 'eh' bearings.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I'm the only guy in the US apparently who recommends disconnecting (or fully removing) the speedo cable. When it overheats and fries- you won't be in the bug to hear it's warning squeals before it happens.

There's no more stress on the cable or the speedometer when towing than when driving, since it runs off the front driver wheel rotation. But if you disconnect it (easier at speedometer end), then you won't add odometer miles that were not "driven", if that matters to you.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm wondering... if one were really paranoid about flat towing, would it be more advantageous to remove the axles?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
hitest wrote:
I'm the only guy in the US apparently who recommends disconnecting (or fully removing) the speedo cable. When it overheats and fries- you won't be in the bug to hear it's warning squeals before it happens.

There's no more stress on the cable or the speedometer when towing than when driving, since it runs off the front driver wheel rotation. But if you disconnect it (easier at speedometer end), then you won't add odometer miles that were not "driven", if that matters to you.

Cusser- halfway across Nevada, at night, driving to Boise from LA in a '61 bug- I can tell you with certainty that when the speedo cable started to whine- by the time I got pulled over to disconnect it from the back of the speedo- it was too hot to grip in my bare hands.

The point you fail to see is this- I was IN the car when it failed- so I heard it go. If you are towing the car, you are not IN the car to hear it go.

To the PO- you decide what's better, to record precious miles or risk cooking something.

FU#5
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in WV are u moving to?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: