Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Master cylinder question for disk brakes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Master cylinder question for disk brakes Reply with quote

i have the cheaper 2 piston disc brakes on the rear of my baja with drum front brakes and a stock type 1 master cyclinder with stock pedal assembly. i bled the brakes and i dont have any pedal it seems like my master cylinder isnt pushing enough fluid to compensate for the dic brakes. just curious if i should be using a larger bore master cylinder or something. could be my master is bad too but i want to make sure i get the right one to replace it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two man operation. Have someone else push the brake pedal, while you watch the disc brake pads. Do they move at all, or just a little bit. I am leaning towards either a bad MC or in need of further bleeding. Even if the MC was too small, it should have enough volume to press the pads out to the discs.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, if your lucky it needs a little more bleeding, if not new MC. But the MC is fairly cheep and easy to do, let us know what you find
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will touch the discs but the pedal is almost to the floor with the adjustment push rod from pedal to the master cylinder adjusted pretty close to all the way out.

Last edited by vwracin2win on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will touch the discs but the pedal is almost to the floor with the adjustment push rod from pedal to the master cylinder adjusted pretty close to all the way out. I had it sitting for a couple weeks or so and now it has no brakes at all. Master is most likely bad. Everything is brand new lines, hoses, wheel cyl, disc brake kit, even the master is new. Wouldn't surprise me if it's bad it's happened to me me before but I have never run disc brakes. It just seemed to me I needed a master that would pump more volume? I once heard the bus master cyl is higher volume is this true? Plus it's a little cheaper.

Last edited by vwracin2win on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd chuck a new MC in there might be pooched
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the bus MC, maybe ask the bus guys.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about disc brakes in comparison to drums, is that the discs do not have return springs to suck the wheel cylinders back in. With disc brakes, they are designed to be pushed out to the disc, and the only thing that pulls the pads away from the discs, is the flex in the piston seals. So the pads only return a very short distant from the discs. Therefore, if everything is correct, MC bleed, etc, you should get a firm pedal before it reaches the floor. Now with dual pistons, the pedal may be a little lower then stock, but you should still get a good pedal. Also, just because the MC is new, doesn't mean it is good. Been down that road before.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started messing.with the brakes again today. Still can not get enough pedal to even bleed. Went around and checked all fittings again to make sure they are tight. I used a rig job vacuum set up and it broke but I got a little pedal then I had my wife give it a few pumps then held it while I let the fluid out and she pumped it again and the pedal never came back up. Wondering if the only way is to vacuum bleed. But then.I wonder is something is wrong with the master so when we pump it it sucks in air. Or maybe it just has a crap load of air in the system from not bench bleeding and it being a new system.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to bench bleed it. You'd be surprised how long you can bench bleed it till all the air is gone. I don't u sees tans why people don't think it's nessecary and wonder why their brakes don't work.
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed it looks like some of the paint is eaten away a little right under where the master goes through into the car. Wonder if I should try bench bleeding or just get a new master.
vwracin2win
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this thread. I put a new bus master in it and bench bled it and everything's perfectly and the brakes work great. Hard to say if it were the new master or the bench bleeding. I'm thinking a little bit of both. Thank you to everyone for their advice and help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: