Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do VW Beetles break down a lot?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do VW Beetles break down alot? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
pb_foots wrote:

This. I can say with 100% certainty that my Dad, who dove ACVWs for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles, never once posted to the Samba or anywhere else. it was just assumed that the car would go where he wanted it to, and they always did.

This is a true statement. I started driving them in '79. But there were more of them back then and they were not that old for the most part. We got advice from the local mechanics or local club members. There were also a lot of "seat of the pants" type repairs while on the road. But now with the internet the knowledge is easier to get. So a newbie with an oldie can have a better time.

And we must not forget that so many of the Internet questions and "problems" are coming from people that have absolutely zero mechanical knowledge or experience. They would never dream of changing the oil in their Hyundai themselves, let alone trying to do a "tune up" or replace a fan belt on a Toyota. In fact, they might take their bicycle into a shop to have the handlebars adjusted. Yet they post in here with the most basic "problems" that, when added all up, make these old, worn out, simple cars look like total pieces of crap.

Oh, and-----GET OFFA MY LAWN. Mad

And half of those who answer their questions never spent five minutes with a wrench in their hands..its all 'keyboard knowledge'...recycling knowledge without knowing if its right or not..
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say curmudgeon like it's a bad thing?

I'm gonna pull my pants up like Fred Mertz and shake my fist at some whippersnappers!

There's a big difference between being a grumpy old man and just being old enough to remember when these antiques were real cars driven by Moms and such.

At least I hope so...... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember what we're talking about

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
You say curmudgeon like it's a bad thing?

I'm gonna pull my pants up like Fred Mertz and shake my fist at some whippersnappers!

There's a big difference between being a grumpy old man and just being old enough to remember when these antiques were real cars driven by Moms and such.

At least I hope so...... Crying or Very sad

I'm old, Chuck is older than gods parents!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Louise! WTF is it with some of you. Yeah there are Jack Holes that crap out these rides and ask for answers yet don't want to get dirt under their finger nails, but there are new comers with passion in their hearts. We need to help those new to the hobby if we hope to keep these cars on the road. lets help educate and not alienate. I am no pro, but I have been wrenching for over 30 years and have survived. Lets let the younger of us learn from our mistakes.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero obligation to 'keep these cars on the road'. I don't care if my car is the only one left. I try and provide what little advice I can simply because it's entertaining, and I know how frustrating it can be to bang your head against the wall with no info. However, if you own a car that is not an appliance it's your responsibility to buy the tools and materials to properly care for it. if you don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold, you can either learn, buy a Camry, or spend too much money to have someone else fix it.

Asking if VWs break a lot is a straight question that deserves a straight answer which is, "no, they don't if you treat them right and don't act like a typical cheap ass VW owner".

Not sure why that's offensive? Someone has to tell the damned millennials what time it is, their mommies have been filling their heads full of 'You can do anything, honey" BS for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your obligation remark...hell there are some on here who are a danger to themselves and others half assing the repairs on these cars.. Just because they are 'cute' and "I owned one back in the day, so they are safe for my sons first car" doesnt mean the brakes will take being lowballed, or that simple roadside breakdown becomes a tragedy cause some fool plows into you while your scratching your nuts trying to figure out why it broke..
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
I agree with your obligation remark...

Oh shit, now I know I'm a curmudgeon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the last 3 posts!!! Laughing
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do VW Beetles break down alot? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
If you're getting information off the internet it's certain to be heavily slanted towards the negative.

That's just like living with my wife.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a nice 64 VW sedan yesterday. The new owners know nothing about VWs but they will get an idiot manual, names of VW mechanics in their area and a link to samba website. It's all I can do kinda like lead horse to water.

Someone here once said the general public should not even consider owning a VW because of the maintenance issues involved, I agree. You either dig these cars and learn to work on them or you pay someone to help you which is ok if you got lots of money.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Do VW Beetles break down alot? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
DeutchKraght wrote:
Hey all.
I've been doing lots of reading the past couple of months and it always seems that Beetle breakdowns is just another day in the lives of Beetle owners

Remember, most people don't go on the internet and post about how their car worked perfectly all day. If you're getting information off the internet it's certain to be heavily slanted towards the negative.

Hey I hoped in my car today went to work came home no problem, ran like a champ
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I sold a nice 64 VW sedan yesterday. The new owners know nothing about VWs but they will get an idiot manual, names of VW mechanics in their area and a link to samba website. It's all I can do kinda like lead horse to water.

Someone here once said the general public should not even consider owning a VW because of the maintenance issues involved, I agree. You either dig these cars and learn to work on them or you pay someone to help you which is ok if you got lots of money.

There's nothing wrong or too expensive with paying someone to work on your car, ( most people do it) what's wrong and too expensive is paying someone to learn on your car.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

There's nothing wrong or too expensive with paying someone to work on your car, ( most people do it) what's wrong and too expensive is paying someone to learn on your car.

Good advice - but the problem you also run into is the difference in styles of mechanics. I havdworked with several different shops in the early days before I had a clue, and the way I do things now is different than any of them. And I am right.... Laughing Seriously though, I suggest that if someone has to farm out the work, find the best shop you can and stick with them becasue you will have one shop redoing or undoing work that another shop did.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Good advice - but the problem you also run into is the difference in styles of mechanics. I havdworked with several different shops in the early days before I had a clue, and the way I do things now is different than any of them. And I am right.... Laughing Seriously though, I suggest that if someone has to farm out the work, find the best shop you can and stick with them becasue you will have one shop redoing or undoing work that another shop did.

ehh, with a vintage ride, if I was to pay some monkey to do my work, I would look at their pride n joy and see how they run and look.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do VW Beetles break down alot? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Hey I hoped in my car today went to work came home no problem, ran like a champ

I pulled my bug out of the garage and hoped it would make it to the front yard so I could wash the Bonneville salt off it from World of Speed Smile
it was OK cause it had a grey beard working on it last.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had anything break on my '71 in quite a few years. I did install retractable seat belts.

I read that parts quality is worse these days, may be the case. Maybe my parts are well before the "made in China" parts, but believe that my clutch disc is Chinese (1835cc engine, 3-finger pressure plate).

I'd say a large part is also due to improper installation and repair.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expecting dependability from a Classic VW would be only as good as the amount of money spent and quality of parts and service. I wouldn't hesitate to drive my '66 Sedan across the United States.

I've got a 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn pickup. It costs approximately .173 cent per mile, my 1966 VW Beetle costs .125 cents per mile. Guess which one I drive the most often.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
I agree with your obligation remark...

Oh shit, now I know I'm a curmudgeon!

You don't want to be a curmudgeon, people report those who disagree.. better to be a sycophant..

join the inner circle!!! be a grown folk!!!
svs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your answer...

Link

Was thinking about your question last night as I was out in my unique 65 convertible. Spent the last few years rebuilding all the mechanicals. I've owned it since the 90's and the only time it left me stranded was when I spun a drum..

Something special about these cars that get's in you and will stay with you all your days..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: