Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want to try E85
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Want to try E85 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been reading about E85 for years, wanted to build a VW engine to run on it before and have the Subaru I owned tuned for it for years but availability kept me away. Now it looks like there are stations near me that actually carry it and I want to try it.

1835, 8.7:1 CR, dual 40IDFs. I have a wideband. I want to try mixing in some E85, say start with 2 gallons with rest being 91 octane. I think that would let me advance my timing more to see how it responds. I am planning on buying a Black box to use with my 009 and start tuning timing maps. What else would help, a CHT gauge? What AFR should I shoot for? If this works, I can increase this engine in size and run 10:1 with same cam to see if I can gain power. Any other tips? I could shut off my fuel pump before putting the car away and let engine use up all of the fuel in the bowls and lines to prevent things drying out.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go E85 or don't go E85. You can't start partial mixing and seeing what it does with a timing change.

Fuel amount requirements change with E85, so if you add some in and only change timing, you'll be lean. If you're going to do it, commit to it. If you don't you'll hate it.

If you go E85, raise the compression, advance timing 5-8 degrees, and run about 30% more fuel. That'll get you close, then tune from there. If carbureted, drive the car often to keep the fuel fresh in the bowls or you could have issues.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: