Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery gas line blockage, '64 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Mystery gas line blockage, '64 Beetle Reply with quote

So I finish the six to twelve volt conversion on my '64 Beetle and go to start it up -- and I'm getting no gas back at the engine (specifically, none coming out of the metal line that goes into the cloth line to the fuel pump). I took the tank out and replaced the cloth line from the tank to the metal line and gas is flowing through that just fine. I put compressed air through the metal line (rear to front) and it seemed to be totally clear. So what could the problem be? (There's about two gallons of gas in the tank.)
I hope I don't have to replace the metal line, as it looks like getting that thing through the tunnel is a real tough job.
Any help is appreciated!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd.

Here's one little trick I do when I get vapor lock on my 62 - I lightly pressurize the gas tank by blowing (just by mouth!) into the vent hose, then plugging it off with a small Phillips screwdriver... you might try that and see if you get any flow then
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody yet? Okay, here's my new theory: The car is parked at a slight angle downward in the front. With only two gallons of gasoline in the tank there's not enough gas for it to rise over the highest point of the metal fuel line where in comes out into the engine compartment. If I add a few more gallons of gas it should raise the level enough that it makes it over the high point of the line and into the fuel pump. Sound logical?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose your theory could be right but did you try what Andy suggested? You can try either moving it or jacking it up to get it level. Or, you could try putting some suction on it at the back end somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's trick didn't do it. I'll put some more gas in it (after I'm able to go to a gas station tomorrow) and try it again.
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the new line at the tank isn't kinked.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try taking it loose underneath the car and see if you get any flow there. I happen to have my fuel line filter installed there - where it exits the body underneath before going to the engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I added three gallons of gas and that didn't do the trick. There's still no fuel coming out of the metal line in the engine compartment. I guess the next thing to do is examine the area referenced by Big Dog.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the fuel line at the pump and pressurize the tank by removing the cap, forming a seal with your hand and blow gun attached to an air compressor. Fuel should start to run out of the hose. Once it does, hook the line up at the pump and squirt some starter fluid into the carb and crank the key. On mine, it didn't start to "suck" gas to the carb until the car started to run, I'm assuming it helped undo the airlock.
buggin65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think fuel filters should always be on the pressure side of the line after the fuel pump and before the carb, obviously. You don't want to have to "suck" through a dirty filter. It is much better to "push" through a dirty filter just until you can change it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingsfanrob wrote:
Make sure the new line at the tank isn't kinked.

What happened when you heeded this advice? Just replacing this line and turning your (boy I sure hope regasketed while in there!) fuel pickup tube a few degrees can cause a kink here.

The pressure of three gallons of gas alone is enough to push fuel through to the engine bay. Remove the gas cap- and unhook your fuel line from your pump and suck the line- easy peasy. Ever syphon gas before? Piece of cake.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can reach in and feel it. It doesn't feel kinked.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
You could also try taking it loose underneath the car and see if you get any flow there. I happen to have my fuel line filter installed there - where it exits the body underneath before going to the engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Might be time to clean the transmission? Laughing
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hijack alert***
I've since cleaned the transmission - got to get another pix....
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a compressor? If so, disconnect the line after it comes out of the body and push air up to the gas tank and see if you get bubbles. You may also have to crimp the line under the gas tank and disconnect that line from the body and see if you can get air blowing the other way. I had the same issue and it was sediment that got blocked in the line but compressed air got it out. I bet you have a blockage in the line from all the tinkering. It may be an air bubble but I doubt it.

Did the line work prior to being disconnected?

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the tank, snake a thick piece of weedeater line through the fuel line in the body. you will be surprised how much comes out. also, jack up the front and look at the hose. coming out of the tank, any kinks?
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did the line work prior to being disconnected?"

The car was sitting for a few years before I started working on it. When I disconnected the line to install the new fuel pump, nothing came out of it. The tank seemed practically empty (but the gauge needle was still in the reserve area). Before that the car wouldn't start, so I don't know how well the line was working.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit that changes everything. As I loosely quote from you, "so I finish the 6 to 12 volt conversion and go to start it up," sounds like it ran one day and didn't the next! You sir need to give your car an enema and maybe consider providing people who try to help you with all the information. You owe everyone an apology.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick wall Hitest is angry but details do help. Confused

My suggestion is to take everything off that is a flex tube and either put a line in the metal line(weed eater line) and make sure they are clear and verify the flex lines are clear also. You also need to clear the tank of fuel and wash it out (don't use water). verify that rust has not started i nthe tank also. High probility your tank is fouled and sludge has settled. Setting for a while can cause all kinds of issues. Let us know when you have verified that all the individual componts allow fuel to run freely. Start at the tank and move back.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car has been sitting for several years:

Replace all the rubber fuel lines.

Clean your tank. Chain lengh and kerosene.

Replace the copper sock in the fuel tank.

Get a power drill and some old trottle cable, or similiar wire, and run it
front to back.

Read this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606650&highlight=fuel+line

Should be clear now.

Dan
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: