Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've done what I can, help please...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: I've done what I can, help please... Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have a bit of a problem with my Baja, I have replaced the carb (webber 32/36) and distributor ( 009 ) for new ones and played with the jetting, mixture and throttle as well as the timing until it ran the best. And for the most part it putts around pretty well,
1st has no probs, lacks a little get up and go but pretty good.
2nd is great and has a ton of acceleration
3rd is fine if you keep off the throttle, but if you mat it, it Boggs out and has nothing for acceleration.
4th runs pretty smooth and has better acceleration, still not the best when matted.

No matter what gear your in, it hates a hill, 3rd is really bad on a hill. Again hating the acceleration needed to get up a hill.

I'm thinking that that 009 doesn't advance the acceleration enough when under full throttle to keep up. I have a vacuum advance dist. That I could try. But other than that I'm at the end of my knowledge and can't seem to get it to run the way I want it to.

Any thoughts? Something I've overlooked?
I know the carb and distributor set up combo isn't the best, but it should do better than the performance I'm getting. I'm also running a stinger and it seemed to run better when it had a true muffler, the lack of resistance could be a factor.

Thanks for looking!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question, what is timing set at?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't use a time gun or anything like that to time it, just the low teck method, similar to the one found in how to keep you Vw alive. With the la light bulb attached to the coil.
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: 009 timing Reply with quote

Yea.009 should be set at 28-30degrees total advance. You need a degree pulley or a stock pulley marked appropriately for that. My humble opinion is that has to be correct before you move on.
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can order a degree pulley. What advance should a SVDA be set to?
muddbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are running a 009 that is not svda ,
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddug, I have a SVDA too that I could change the 009 out for. Should have been more clear I guess.

Can anyone walk me through the process for setting the 009 up to 28-30 degrees, once you have it at #1 TDC? Or does anyone have a good link?

Or should I concentrate on switching for the SVDA and set that up?
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try driving with stock sized tires. i bet the problem is gearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: total advance 009 Reply with quote

With a timing light on and your degree pulley installed pull the trigger on the timing light. At this point you will be able to see the timing at idle. Next rev the engine while the timing light is triggered and pointing at the degree pulley you will notice the timing increases and at somewhere around 3000+ rpm it stops advancing. This is total advance and with the 009 should be set to 28-30deg. Go back and forth until you have it set properly. You have now eliminated timing as an issue and can begin to tweak with your weber which I have zero experience with. With tuning I long ago also picked up a tach dwell meter. This is vital to me in setting my points and tuning my carb. I found a used one at a yard sale but they aren't that spendy new. Dont forget to refer to your john Muir idiot book. This book alone has lead me through 30yrs of VW adventure. Enjoy!!
Fltblkbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, "absolutely aircooled", thanks! Do you happen to know the degree range that is recommended for a vacuum advance distributor, in case I end up going that route?
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to post the 9 or 10 digit part number on the distributor to get an answer. Each distributor is timed differently.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you guys sort out his distributor I was thinking too tall tires also, but when I wen back over his OP it looks like the meat of his problem is he's running a Weber progressive which is what 32/36 means right? If so have fun. I hated trying to tune those things. I would concentrate on setting up that dizzy first but don't be surprised if your symptoms don't go away. WP's are famous for flat spots.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: vacuum advance timing Reply with quote

I have always ran a 009. I once had a Weber progressive and ran it with a 009. I switched to dual "baby" weber 34's and ran those with a 009 having good success. You shouldn't have a problem with the 009. I would try a different carb set up or get some hands-on help tuning your weber. If when you are setting the 009 you dont see it advancing properly then its your dist. See your idiot book on how to check the mech advance. Its pretty simple. Just take it out of the car and while holding onto the drive at the bottom twist the rotor. It should move slightly and when released come back to its original position. If it does not or it appears sluggish then you have a bad spring or its gummed up in there. Otherwise it is operating properly and should be good. I understand your problem solving with the other dist and you probably should so you know you have eliminated that as an issue. Thats my 10cents worth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: