Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Split Gear Box Frustration
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: 66 Split Gear Box Frustration Reply with quote

aaaargh Ive been wreastling with gear linkages, I put an irs coversion and am trying to fit gbox and vintage speed shifter, no matter what position the base plate is the shifter will not select 1 st gear, it will out of the car,box was working in a beetle but wont in with the old shifter or the new, box was in a car that got hit on the rear axle but Im going nuts as it selects 1st on the ground and shifts same as a similer box but obce it is in the car no go, so after abpout 8 trips in and out will have to try another box and keep fingers crossed that other box isnt stuffed, had the box built with closer taller gears and LSD for my 2lt beetle well over 10 years ago for $3800 ausd so will die if it dont work, any one else experianced this ???
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: 66 split Gear box FRUSTRATION Reply with quote

Cant get my L bug box to select gears in my splitty, had the "new " box in and out half a dozen times, it wont select 1st, it will out of the car but wont with a stock shifter or vintage speed shifter, box was fine in old car but just wont select 1st arrrrgh any ideas ??? or had same prob, no matter where I position the shifter base plate , no change, next step is to swap nose cone etc to spare box and see what happens
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can select reverse then the shifter is reaching far enough to left (to right underneath floor) to get to first. If so, then must not be reaching far enough forward (rearward underneath). Have you tried to shift base of shifter a tad rearward?

Other way to check is to disconnect front of shift coupler from shift linkage, remove that bolt and shift into first by hand under there. Then shine flashlight through the coupler bolt hole. Have helper move shifter around to point closest to line up the bolt hole in coupler and dimple on the rear shift rod. Then see how much off those two points are.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possibility is you installed the transaxle by tightening the rear mounts first. Need to tighten down front mount first and then the rears. Plus does not hurt to give a shove or two forward before tightening any of these.
Failure to do this can result in the transaxle being slightly more rearward and not be able to reach first or third gears.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: gear box Reply with quote

Wow cheers , been sick but back into it tomorrow, you have pretty much described what I have done already when i think back through each time ive fitted the Bast..d so thanks, by all accounts it should be engaging so ALL I can do is start again and run through it all again , the only suspicion I have is that there is something wrong with how I fitted the nose cone and selector , or the box has damage that i dont know about SOME how . but it selects 1st 2nd and 3rd on the ground by hand same as another box sitting on the ground next to it so all I can put it down to is that the old girl is playing hard to get
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be that the rear shift coupler is slightly drilled off and/or the hockey stick to. Might try a second shift coupler and see if that makes a difference. Hope you are clear of being sick soonest.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: box Reply with quote

Ive checked everything , Ive got all gears on another box, but soo sloppy and base of shifter pops out of the shaft and it locks up , mushy feel but could drive it, the evil VW demons are strong in this 66
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you replaced the shift rod bushing in the tunnel?
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you can select reverse then the shifter is reaching far enough to left (to right underneath floor) to get to first. If so, then must not be reaching far enough forward (rearward underneath). Have you tried to shift base of shifter a tad rearward?

Other way to check is to disconnect front of shift coupler from shift linkage, remove that bolt and shift into first by hand under there. Then shine flashlight through the coupler bolt hole. Have helper move shifter around to point closest to line up the bolt hole in coupler and dimple on the rear shift rod. Then see how much off those two points are.

X2

This is good advice. I also took channel locks underneath and made sure I could find all gears. Once I did it was a matter of really focusing on the linkage. After many hours of trying it, walking away frustrated and coming back to it, mine was the shifter base position. I must have taken it apart and adjusted it 20x before finally getting it. Good luck, I hope you get it sooner than later.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaarrrgh worked out im getting reverse and 3rd/4th so lock out plate is not working , put spacers and ball to get shaft up nope nothing ,, about 20 hours now??? must be nearly 20 trys so try another box tomorrow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: