Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Pop Top Showers!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jem5649
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: My Pop Top Showers! Reply with quote

So I just put these up on my van and another member said that I should probably put them up in their own forum too so here they are! These are easy to build/install gravity fed showers and my full notes.

The only pre-rec for these is that you ether have 5.25 inches between your roof and roof rack or that you have a better idea on how to keep them secured! Oh and a camper Razz

So today I set out to finish up my showers so here are my project notes on these. They are awesome, very simple if you have racks and fairly inexpensive.

Materials: (Half to get one shower)
2 10ft by 4" ABC (black plastic) pipes
2 4"->2" constricting attachments
2 2" to 1/2" threaded adapters
2 1/2" male threaded Nipples (lols for immaturity)
2 1/2" brass, gas rated valves
2 4"->4"->2" T pipe intersections
2 4" flushing caps
2 2" flushing caps
4 4" pipe clamps
6 3" pipe clamps
1 shower neck
1 shower head
ABS cement
ABS to PVC transition cement

Tools required:
One hack saw
One Measuring tape
One 8mm ratchet or a flat head screwdriver

I was going to put the materials pic here, but I deleted it by accident...

Anyways, assembly is pretty easy and went well... I measured the back portion of the roof to be 8'2" long so I wanted the shower pipes to be 8' plus the valve end that will stick off the back to allow for the water to clear the trunk of the car.

With that in mind I cut the black pipes to 7' to allow for the 11" rear section which looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that assembly is:

A T intersection -> 5" scrap of black pipe -> Flushing cap and the part I am holding is the 2" end -> the 2" flushing cap. That 2" cap will act as the fill valve for the showers once they are on the roof. All of that is glued with ABS cement.

The front assembly is:

That is the 1/2" threaded adapter->2"-4" constriction->7' black pipe-> rear assembly.

That part is glued with the ABS to PVC cement at the adapter (white pipe to black) and then ABS cement at all the black pipe connections.

Once all that is glued together the fun part is attaching them to the roof... Now this is also where I planned ahead and had mounted my roof bars really high to accommodate the showers going under them. You need about 5" of clearance from the roof to the bars to mount them underneath...

Now for the fun part... This is my mounting system:

I purposely put them on the right so that when they are full, they will balance out with the water tank on the left side of the car.

The system is pretty simple. You just attach your 4" pipe clamps to the showers then loop the 2"-3"ers around the bars, the feet for the rack, and the clamp on both pipes. Tighten them all down and instant gravity fed showers!

The one down side to these is that they are quite heavy. Each will weigh about 60lbs full so I will need to add some sort of assisted lift to the pop top. (I have heard of one hinted to on here, but can someone tell me what exactly it is? Wink Wink )

Besides that, they seem to work well and we'll have to see how they work on the road!

I hope this guide helps! For those of us who aren't tearing apart their vans every day, this is a pretty easy and fun project to get working on!

Also as a shameless plug, I have a full build forum going for my van "Beer" so if you want to see what other fun I am having here is the link! I think the rest of what I am doing is pretty standard, but who knows what ideas I might spark in other people!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7369618&highlight=#7369618
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop top shocks here....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=798951

Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the weight on one side may be an issue.

what about apreading several short ones (connected, of course) across the rear of the roof close to the pivot point?

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more options:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23890&category_id=&category_parent_id=

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PAP4WM/ref=ox...PDKIKX0DER
andafiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this, and we're going to build two this week.

I keep my Thule box on the passenger side to counter the weight of the kitchen on the driver's side. I'm thinking about putting one of these shower tubes on each side.

The Roadshower looks so sweet and I've wanted one forever, but for $300 I haven't ever been able to justify it. And it only holds five gallons.

I've traveled with one of these pump sprayer/washers for a few summers now and we love it, I usually strap it onto the bulkhead for solar-hot water:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/

One addition we're making to the "Denver shower" plans is some kind of small air release at the front/top end. Some small hole that can be opened and closed to let air in as the water level goes down.

If it's clever or cute, I'll share pics when we're done!

'86 Westy 4-speed w/ EJ22 (a Racerrojo production!)
"It's got an eagle feather hangin' from the rear-view mirror..."
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andafiro wrote:
...some kind of small air release at the front/top end...

Gas can vent:

$1.50 each; drill 1/2" hole, pop it in and you're done... Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
andafiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
andafiro wrote:
...some kind of small air release at the front/top end...

Gas can vent:

Nice.

Thank you!

'86 Westy 4-speed w/ EJ22 (a Racerrojo production!)
"It's got an eagle feather hangin' from the rear-view mirror..."
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that black sewer pipe works to heat the water in your climate

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=80
davevickery wrote:
This was a failed attempt at a simple solar shower.
It sucked so I removed the details on it. It doesn't get hot, it is inconvenient to use, it looks stupid, and now I have 2 new holes in my poptop to show for my trouble.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23890&category_id=&category_parent_id=
"The Road Shower does not heat water as well if the outside temperature is below 70 degrees and/or the sun is low in the sky (or during cloudy days)."
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadshower

pros: don't have to build anything, can regulate pressure, easy to mount, sleek, does heat up well IF you have enough sunshine.

cons: drops temp really quickly if sun goes down, tough to fill because it's on top of my van without hose/faucet, makes opening/closing top harder, pop top is crooked when opened because of added weight, can feel more side-winds.

Took this along for the last trip of 2600 miles. Yes it was nice to have a shower after goofing all day in the desert, mtns, and wilderness, in 90* plus weather, but unless you took your shower while the sun was out, shower was cold; doesn't hold heat very well. I'm talking within 30 minutes of the sun going down.

Now that I have it, I'll keep using it. If I didn't, I wouldn't buy and go with the 2 gallon pump sprayer bottle instead.

Just my feedback.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a solar bag in the luggage rack. Works great when the sun is shining.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your hot water project with so many photos and details!
I know how much work that is to do and I appreciate your efforts! Applause

I seriously considered going this route, so much so that I've made plans for a roof rack on my Westy and have purchased materials for the rack.

I have roof weight concerns, even though I have Jack Bombay top shocks on already (buy them BTW, they are a Godsend!!!!) so the weight isn't a serious concern, just order up stronger shocks.
I began to question the amount of heat that I'll generate up here in the Northern Climates that I tend to favor.

Honestly, once I stumbled across the pump sprayer shower........
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/

I'm really shying away from the big black pipe idea when I can heat a pan of water on my stove and pour it into the bottle for a warm shower.

In the Southern climates I can totally see the pluses of this project but for the cold cloudy North........... Not so much.

I'll still make my roof racks but more with an eye towards Canoe transport. Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your idea is great....I have several showers I can use, including an Eco temp propane fired one...but my favorite is the black plastic sprayer I got from walmart....$ 16

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-Master-2-gallon-Wood-Masonry-Sprayer/13376326
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a solar bag in my luggage rack. I like that its out of sight. By tying the the bag to the luggage cleat, I could flop it onto the windshield and shower by sitting on the front bumper.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Jon_slider wrote:
> When we take the kid to the beach, I put a solar shower in the luggage rack over head, held in place with a bungee net.

me too!

when it is too cold for a solar shower to work, I use this 2.5 gallon Jug. The hose is used to connect to a hot water faucet at a gas station bathroom. With the jug wrapped in a towel, the water stays hot enough for about 4 hours

the bunji net is sold at Wally World as a motorcycle helmet tie down..

tried this pump sprayer, but it does not get as hot in the sun as a bag shower.. and is not stealthy, but can be used to add hot water when in non solar climates

One other idea, I have not tried. I notice that a lot of heat accumulates under my bench seat, due to the rear heater and hoses. If someone was to carry a bag shower under the bench seat, (or the pump up sprayer if it fit) the water would probably get nice and warm just from driving around. Provision to control for leak and puncture would be required.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, to the original poster - kudos for posting your idea. Even if people criticise it. I appreciate it!

Jon_slider wrote:

One other idea, I have not tried. I notice that a lot of heat accumulates under my bench seat, due to the rear heater and hoses. If someone was to carry a bag shower under the bench seat, (or the pump up sprayer if it fit) the water would probably get nice and warm just from driving around. Provision to control for leak and puncture would be required.

That rear heater connection has lots of uses - presuming you don't still use the heater. Adding a bit more hose, would create a very effective heating loop. Many have done hot water heaters off this. Someday I am going to run a line over so my fridge runs from that heat.

I don't like the idea of the weight on the poptop either. The luggage rack seems like a better place to me.

I installed the jack bombay struts this summer and love them. They are a well chosen selection of parts and custom brackets. You could build your own from scratch, but I don't regret buying it - it took me 15 mins to install, as compared to spending lots of time finding the parts, making a bracket, drilling, or re-drilling, holes in the poptop, returning gas shocks for ones with different ratings, etc.
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also build a pressure tank, using something like a weed sprayer to charge the system rather than depending on gravity... if you wanted to...

Cool idea though! thanks for sharing!

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketBox wrote:
you could also build a pressure tank

the roadshower uses a tire valve stem so you can pressurize the pipe, but that just speeds up how fast you run out of water Smile

previous thread about roadshowers
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593210
Jem5649
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have the Jack Bombay heavy duty shocks on the way... Obviously you can configure them however you want once you have them up on the roof, the reason I had to do one side was that I am going to run 300 watts of Solar on the other side of the roof...

@andafiro to add air to the system, all you have to do is loosen the fill cap a couple turns and it will allow enough air in to let the water out

@Jon_slider Ya... Im a rock climber so Ill be mostly in dry, sunny 60-80 degree weather most of the time... These pipes have been getting pretty hot in the sun... Im not sure about the time after dark bit though... Ill have to test it.

Besides that I like that pump bottle idea so I might just grab one of those too... I am also working on some sort of "easy fill" rig for these so Ill see if I get it working well enough to add to this feed in the next week!
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jem5649 wrote:
I am also working on some sort of "easy fill" rig for these so Ill see if I get it working well enough to add to this feed in the next week!

I don't see an easy fill method to your system...looks like you'll have to lift the water up there...unless your filling from a spigot some place?

It doesn't take much sun light to heat that black plastic...I wonder if it will continue to heat even while driving down the road with the wind?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't heat for shit. pvcf or abs is lightweight material and is a decent insulator. No comparison to a thin wall plastic shower bag.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't heat for shit. pvcf or abs is lightweight material and is a decent insulator. No comparison to a thin wall plastic shower bag.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: