Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 bug turn signal problems and lighting problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tr0utmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: '66 bug turn signal problems and lighting problems Reply with quote

hey all ive been having a problem with my lighting on the out side of my bug. its a 6v, ive spent all day cleaning my grounds, wires, switches and boxes (except in the engine compartment). my turn signals work great on the inside but on the outside they are very dim, there a little brighter in back and the passenger front only works when it wants to. i have new bulbs and fuses and no luck. i noticed that my generator says "14v" on it does this mean its supposed to be a 12v? i accidentally got two 12v headlights and they work but are still a little dim, if i changed them to 6v would it help to fix the problem? or would it make my headlights brighter? my interior lights, brake and tail lights, and my running lamps work great. i have also noticed that my licence plate light is very dim and my wiper motor only works on the fast setting however it is still very slow any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the measured battery voltage?
Did you clean the MAIN ground from the transaxle to the body....and the battery to the body?
Try adding a jumper cable from the battery to the main body.
If it helps.. its the main ground.

Do not use 6 volt lights on a 12 volt system. They will be bright.. but only for a very short time... Laughing
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tr0utmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so ive got a 6 volt battery, i did clean the battery to the frame ground. i didnt clean the main ground but just got done cleaning it, nothing. i did take the time to check my emergency flashers and they work great, the outside lights are nice and bright but my turn signals still barely work.
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you probably have a turn signal sw issue. The internal contacts sound bad. There was a thread on here a while back on disassembling and cleaning. The 12 volt generator with 6 volt battery concerns me though.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your battery voltage and charging voltage (over 1k rpms).?
6 volt system use 6 volt bulbs
12 volt system use 12 volt bulbs

The 6 volt regulator will regulate the 12 volt generator to 6-8 volts.
But trust the stampings on the generator case.. no telling whats inside or what voltage it produces.

I agree..if everything else but the turns work ok then suspect a turn switch.

Try bypassing the switch with a jumper one side at a time and see if it corrects the issue.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tr0utmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaned the turn stalk switch and still the same thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: