Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window regulators - quality issues?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyPill77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Window regulators - quality issues? Reply with quote

I am struggling to get the window regulator installed in my 1974 Beetle. I installed the driver's side with no issues. I have tried two regulators in the passenger side to no avail. Both regulators seem to get really stiff and the gears at the crank jam and lock up.

For the second one, it operated smoothly outside of the window. To install it, I need to bend it slightly to match up the bolts. Once I bend it slightly, it was difficult to turn. I tried adding lithium grease and also trying to spread open the tube at the 90 degree bend. Now my second regulator is binding at the gears and doesn't work now.

I have reviewed the thread here with the step-by-step and it was very helpful.

QUESTION: Are there better quality regulators on the market? Which manufacturer/seller has the better ones?

I seem to be purchasing lower-end ones or I am breaking them! Sad Anyone else have a similar experience?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed out my drivers side. Bought it from Mid America Motorworks. It was stiff at first but has loosened up after about 2 weeks of use.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HappyPill77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! The window regulator from Mid America Motorworks was a much better quality and went in without a hitch. Highly recommended. Rolls up and down fine now.

Quality parts make a big difference in the results!
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced bad units with used ones with no problems. Just clean, relube, and install.
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, who made the ones sold by mid america? I had to replace mine some time back and it seemed the only player was empi.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: