Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle? Reply with quote

figured since it was the hottest weekend of the year, no better time to see if the repairs made a difference . I put the fresh air bellows the correct way made 1/4" carb spacers and put new carb linkage. after a drive yesterday and a drive tonight in 100* heat, the carbs stopped the dripping after I shut it off and it ran great. The knock I thought I had sounds more like the fan,marbles as people say sorta in rhythm. I have another fan that came with the car that might be better or quieter.Can it be swapped in the car or will a noisy fan cause any damage if I leave it???
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you will have to get rid of the marbles before you do extra damage. I dropped a bolt on my square coming back from California (way back when) & it smoothed out the back side of the fan. I will see if I still have it & shoot a picture for ya. The noise is probably the bolt that holds the housing to the motor has come out & is now trying to get out. Motor may have to come out to replace the fan, or if you have small hands you might be able to do it.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle? Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
figured since it was the hottest weekend of the year, no better time to see if the repairs made a difference . I put the fresh air bellows the correct way made 1/4" carb spacers and put new carb linkage. after a drive yesterday and a drive tonight in 100* heat, the carbs stopped the dripping after I shut it off and it ran great. The knock I thought I had sounds more like the fan,marbles as people say sorta in rhythm. I have another fan that came with the car that might be better or quieter.Can it be swapped in the car or will a noisy fan cause any damage if I leave it???

It can be done in the car, but it's also a PIA to do so. Pulling the engine out makes it easier to see what you're doing, and be able to reach everything easier. You'll need a harmonic balancer removal tool, some M8 bolts (for the removal tool), 30mm socket, and some way to lock the engine (for both fan removal, and then for fan installation), as that bolt should be torqued to 93 to 105 ft lbs.

As for leaving it alone, and driving it, I don't recommend it. The screw head will wear the back of the fan off/thru, and could cause more problems down the road.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Chino_UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it definitely the fan and not the fan pulley that's come loose? I had that and was able to sort it on the car.
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im assuming its the fan as any issues that come up are new to me. I do not see any movement in in the pulley and the noise will come and go, more so when its warm.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My fan after my trip from California. I knew what was happening, but with out the proper tools & The Samba, it was a noisy drive. Funny thing it stopped, & when I looked at the motor, the bolt was hanging out the drain hole in the housing.
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:

My fan after my trip from California. I knew what was happening, but with out the proper tools & The Samba, it was a noisy drive. Funny thing it stopped, & when I looked at the motor, the bolt was hanging out the drain hole in the housing.
mine doesn't sound to be rubbing as bad as that, its mainly at idle, slightly above and it goes away..
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Meanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle? Reply with quote

its not required to remove the engine. Should only take a couple of hours to re&re the fan. You'll spend more time re&re the engine over just the fan itself.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle? Reply with quote

Meanman wrote:
its not required to remove the engine. Should only take a couple of hours to re&re the fan. You'll spend more time re&re the engine over just the fan itself.

I've done it also, it's simple.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have to pull the engine fix a fan rattle? Reply with quote

I've done it engine in. It's just the bellows the tin cover , generator and removing the rear section of the fan housing. You need to remove the cooling flap rod and spring yet you can easily get the spring back on with a hooked tool . It's more work if you have the stock exhaust , if it's a header it's not bad.

The first time I still had the stock exhaust it was so rusted to the HE's I could not save it . I had to get a Empi quiet pack then it was easy. My noise was constant and not the fan so I went further thinking maybe the can gear rivets. I removed the entire fan housing to pull the oil pump and did it in one afternoon. Never did find what the noise was it was internal in the engine even though it ran great. One day it was not there the next there it was.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: