Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What if I pulled a spark plug wire while it is running..
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: What if I pulled a spark plug wire while it is running.. Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow VWers'.

I have a rough idling Thing and in theory it idles as if it is running on three cylinders. So I take off the spark plug wire off of number 1. No difference. I take the plug wire off of 3 no difference. But if I take it off of 2 or 4. It basically dies. I checked compression and it is a bit low on one. I tested spark and I get spark. I got even new plugs. One thing I didn't check was timing. What do you think is the issue? Any help would be appreciated. Have a Great Day!
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say cylinder 1's compression is low, how low? Like 10 lower than the rest, or 40 lower than the rest?

If you consider only the spark plugs as a culprit, my guess would be cylinder 3 is the one not firing.

If you look at it systemically, it sounds to me like a timing issue caused by a worn rotor/distributor, or a cracked distributor cap.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cylinder one is 135, 2 is 150 3 is 145 and 4 is 155. but it must be both since the engine revs don't change. Thinking about it, maybe I switched 3 and 1 at the distributor cap? How stupid would that be? I should check that.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohdan wrote:
Cylinder one is 135, 2 is 150 3 is 145 and 4 is 155. but it must be both since the engine revs don't change. Thinking about it, maybe I switched 3 and 1 at the distributor cap? How stupid would that be? I should check that.

Yeah, check that.... Very easy to do... These buggers will run on 2cylinders.... Drove my'73 Bug on Okinawa that way for a week while I was trying to figure it out... Had a fresh set of eyes take and look and the first thing he did was trace plug wires and found them swapped.. I was too involved and "obviously" checked that already.... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Thing up to 45mph running on two cylinders once! I was flooring it in third gear, but still... Very easy to get wires backwards.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting enough. It wasn't switched spark plugs. I switched them anyhow to see what would happen. Definetely runs better the way it was originally. I tweaked the timing and runs much better. However, if I still pull the plug wires, still no difference. Weird....
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for a vacuum leak on a gasket or hose. You can use propane on med/low through a rubber hose and aim it around all the connections. You will need to clear the air once in a while. If there is a vac leak the rpm will increase instantly until you remove the hose
60GULFVDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What carburator(s) are you running? It will do that with some single throat dual carbs , but clears up at higher rpm.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a single 40IDF. I am definitely going to get somebody elses opinion on this too. See if they see what I see. Maybe I am gojng nuts. thx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: