Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing car cover?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Simple Highway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Thing car cover? Reply with quote

Is the Thing-specific car cover from a specialty shop significantly better than a one-size-fits-most type cover, or will the standard type car covers do a good job of protecting the Thing?

Thanks all.

ONWARD!
NSH
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one from the thing shop, it fits nicely and is weather proof
No Simple Highway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FV.

Anyone have input on the alternative $69 version from the chain FLAPS for comparison?

ONWARD!
NSH
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a TTS purpose fit unit....
but, I can see the value in a more universal item($$$$$$ savings) and ease of putting it on(simply toss it over instead of tucking the corners and fastening under he bumper)...

Keep in mind, if this is to be used Outside(wind/elements), then you'll need to secure it to the Thing somehow... The purpose fit have elastic band around the base to snug it under the bumpers... A universal will Not have this, or it will not fit right and do you aNy good...

Any weatherproof cover will work, as long as the dimensions cover your Thing.... Keeping it On the Thing will be your challenge...

Clear as Mudd? Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
tbdean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a $69 version from O'Reily. It will keep rain off for a short period of time. An extended rain will soak right through. It's nice to have on hand but don't count on a $69 car cover to do too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried several different covers in the $50-$100 range, and they all seem to last about a year before they start falling apart (or the local cats claw holes in them when they climb on the top). I got tired of water getting in, so I had a custom cover made at a local upholstery shop from awning material. It is a thick vinyl covered material that still looks like new after a year in the Texas sun. The materials were about $100, and another $200 for the labor, but it works GREAT! I can take it off in about a minute, and put it on & strap it down in about 3 minutes. It fits over the bikini top and keeps the interior clean and dry. I call it a "shower cap" for my Thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the cheap ones in the past. Those that got theirs to last a year were lucky. My antenna tore the $69 one the second time I put it on... it was mostly functional for about 8 months with infrequent use.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed this cover so I could park my car outdoors overnight without putting the top up. (I don't like putting the top up.)
The guy who made it for me now sells them in TheSamba Classifieds.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shower cap is a clever one-off design. I will go the same route as mondshine when the time comes, however, as it looks easy to take with me and use mid-excursion.

I will have to drive my Thing there so they can make a custom one to accommodate highback seats. I guess mine will be a one-off, too. Wink
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've gotten the Mondshine cover if I didn't have a roll bar (and bikini top). It is so handy to not have to put the top up at night (or during the week), and also keep the interior clean and dry. I used to put the full top on during the week, and then on the weekend I'd swap to the bikini top. That got old real quick! Since I got the "shower cap" I've never put the full top back on. I wouldn't normally drive in the rain or in really cold weather (for South Texas, that is below 50 degrees!) so the bikini top and shower cap work great for keeping the Thing ready for a cruise without any hassle. The Mondshine cover looks to serve the same purpose.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Schwankster on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both of those! I wish the shower cap cover was available since I too have a roll bar.
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Guess for next months project I am going to buy some marine canvas and dust off my industrial sewing machine. Schwankster you inspired me. Are the bottom edges sewn with rope inside for re-enforcement?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Jonce Fancher's ad for my Thing cover.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=820467
Jonce is a long time VW guy; he makes tents & awnings for Westfalias, and all sorts of other VW related stuff.
He'd be a good guy to make the "Schwankster Shower Cap" cover (if there was enough interest). Since Jonce is somewhat local to me, I would be willing to let him use my car to make his patterns (if there is enough interest).

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Johnthemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap one off of flea bay...I was pleasantly surprised it fits perfect and is obvious custom for the thing. Great in the garage but probably not much for outside.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reinforcement on the shower cap are the hemmed edges (folded and sewn) with double stitching. The awning material works great since it is thick and waterproof.
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwankster wrote:
The only reinforcement on the shower cap are the hemmed edges (folded and sewn) with double stitching. The awning material works great since it is thick and waterproof.

Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking the 'shower cap' cover, my subdivision will not allow vehicles to be parked outside on the driveway with a cover, this would work perfectly !!

There's a shop near my home that makes covers for boats, once I get my car running and on the road I'll have to take it over and get a quote for a 'shower cap' cover.

The only change I would make would be to allow magnets to be mounted to the cover to make sure it *really* will stay attached to the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: