Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel/Clutch Help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brukbug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Flywheel/Clutch Help Reply with quote

I'm going to buy a new flywheel and clutch kit for my rebuilt 1600 dp going in my 65 beetle the flywheel on their is shit, its out of tolerance for resurfacing. i want to order a new flywheel and clutch kit for it from California Import Part. (CIP1) i know the flywheel is a 200mm, but does it matter what kit i order? they have clutch kits kits for 1800mm 62-65 then they have two 200mm kits 67-70 and 70-79 my engine engines number is AE 740 311 i dont know how to use the vin sheet on the site. please help. if you have better suggestions let me know.

Thanks Bruk Very Happy
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your engine is a factory 1600, then 200mm. 180 is the early kind. Also, only buy a forged flywheel. I'd personally buy a good resurfaced one before buying a new aftermarket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also makes a bit of difference what transaxle you have. If your old engine had a 180mm flywheel and your car still has the stock trans then the trans most likely hasn't been clearanced for a 200mm flywheel. You can still use the 200 mm flywheel/clutch, you'll just have to do some grinding in the bell housing area to make it fit. Not difficult. If you're switching from a 180mm flywheel to a 200mm you'll also need a different starter and you'll have to change the starter bushing in the transaxle. Or you can go the easy route and use a starter from a 12V AutoStick Beetle.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel/Clutch Help Reply with quote

Brukbug65 wrote:
=they have clutch kits kits for 1800mm 62-65 then they have two 200mm kits 67-70 and 70-79 my engine engines number is AE 740 311 i dont know how to use the vin sheet on the site. please help. if you have better suggestions let me know.

The 200 mm clutch kits have different pressure plates and throw-out bearings depending on whether you have the early model (70 and earlier) or later model (71 and later) transmission. The 70 and earlier throw-out bearing is designed to work with pressure plates that have the center ring. That's what you need for a 200 mm/12V flywheel, as your swing axle trans will be the early type. The 71 and later throw-out bearing is designed to work with pressure plates without the center ring and later model IRS transmissions with a centering sleeve. See picture below of the centering sleeve on 71 and later IRS transmissions:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: