Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice from the audio experts?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Advice from the audio experts? Reply with quote

A year or so ago, I built a suitcase sound system to go in the back of my Ghia. The idea being to avoid cutting holes in the car for speakers, and to have something that looked sort of retro and in keeping with the car that could easily be removed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The components include a Boss Audio R2002 amp, an 80 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm crossover, a Pyle PLBW84 Blue Wave 8" 600W subwoofer and 2 PYLE-PRO PDMR5 5'' midrange drivers. The amp is fed by a Retrosound Model II radio.

It works, but the sound isn't really all that remarkable. I recognize that part of the limitation is probably the speakers I chose, and part is the fact that a convertible Ghia isn't much of a listening space. But I'm wondering if there's something I can do to the suitcase to improve the sound a bit. I've read about some people stuffing speaker enclosures with polyfill, etc. Is there something like that, or some other simple modification, I should try. I know I won't get audiophile results, but I'm willing to tweak.

Thanks in advance.
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakers need a certain amount of airspace, they are all different. I would buy some 6x9 speakers and boxes, mount the boxes to the suitcase, put the grills on the outside of the case. In my opinion that stupid setup always sounded really good to me. Good highs, lows, bass. The boxes are the perfect volume for 6x9s. They are cheap too. Pi did the same thing in a boat years ago.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Boomcase. I've seen those for sale at car shows. They look too cool.

http://theboomcase.com/

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmolenda wrote:
Speakers need a certain amount of airspace, they are all different. I would buy some 6x9 speakers and boxes, mount the boxes to the suitcase, put the grills on the outside of the case. In my opinion that stupid setup always sounded really good to me. Good highs, lows, bass. The boxes are the perfect volume for 6x9s. They are cheap too. Pi did the same thing in a boat years ago.

Yep, I agree, the 6x9s in the speaker box sound pretty darn good for the cost.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Car Audio for 23 years...that being said, 6x9 are designed for infinite baffle, that means for a car trunk. You will limit your bass that way, unless you use a bigger box. You can find them at swap meets without any hole cut in them.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that suitcase sound system is the subwoofer is going to be moving lots of air and 'working' those smaller speakers back and forth against their voice coils. Not good. A subwoofer needs its own enclosure - preferably a sealed one. This will give you much better tighter bass. If you want that boom box sound all the low riders have use a big ported sub box. I find those obnoxious - and they are not nearly as accurate as a sealed sub. I have an 8" sealed sub I'm going to install (some day) in my Ghia - and a pair of 6x9 3 way Infinity speakers in their own enclosures. I'm still not over the sound of my engine - it makes music I can listen to all day long.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea and I agree the sub needs to be in it's own enclosure.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculate the volume of your suitcase. You want something like .33 cu. ft. for your sub. If you case has more than that, you could remove the three speakers, line the lid of the case with 1/2" MDF, and build two small MDF boxes for your 5" speakers and glue them to the "lid panel" to sea/isolate the mids from the sub. The MDF in the lid will then provide a more solid mounting for your speakers. Seal any holes the best you can and maybe use some weatherstrip around the edge of the lid to seal the suitcase. A small hunk of MDF and an hour or two and you will be surprised at the difference!
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 57BLITZ! I'll give that a try.
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would close the loop on this, in case anyone else is thinking about making a suitcase sound system. I took the advice offered above and did a little additional research. I wound up enclosing each of the midrange drivers, adding poly-fill (pillow stuffing) to the suitcase at a little less than a pound per cubic foot, and sealing the case as best I could with foam weatherstripping around the edges and silicone sealant around the speakers and power/audio connectors.

The result was pretty dramatic. The sound is much cleaner now, and I can actually feel the bass on certain songs through the back of the seat. This is about as good as I'll ever need for driving with the top down, so thanks to all who offered advice.
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the updated box look like?
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varagon wrote:

From the outside, it's unchanged from the photos at the top of the thread. Inside, it now has small enclosures for the two midrange drivers that cover the drivers and are attached to the inside front of the suitcase, and it's filled with poly-fill. Oh, and the stickers on the outside are somewhat faded from the sun. I could take photos of the inside, if anyone is interested.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squonk wrote:
varagon wrote:

From the outside, it's unchanged from the photos at the top of the thread. Inside, it now has small enclosures for the two midrange drivers that cover the drivers and are attached to the inside front of the suitcase, and it's filled with poly-fill. Oh, and the stickers on the outside are somewhat faded from the sun. I could take photos of the inside, if anyone is interested.
I'd be interested in seeing exactly what it looks like inside.
I'm sure it looks just like you have described it, but I'm more of a visual guy.
(... at least that's what I always tell her, anyway.)
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day I used to make them out of a toolbox for truckers that drove city trucks. The only thing needed was a cig lighter to plug into. 6.5" speakers on the outside with the radio in the middle and an Hirschman amplified antenna mounted on it also. Easy to carry and not very large, it should fit in the trunk of any VW.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the updated guts.

As you can see, when I was measuring the mid-range drivers in preparation for building enclosures out of MDF, I noticed that they fit very conveniently inside some won-ton soup containers I had lying around. Since those are relatively rigid, I thought I'd try them instead of reinventing the wheel. They are sealed to the inside cover of the suitcase with silicone adhesive. The poly-fill was left over from a puppet project. I'm happy with the improvement in sound, but I'll keep an eye on this thread in case the real car audio guys here have a reason that I shouldn't be using soup containers to isolate those drivers.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have though the soup containers would be acoustically transparent being thin and flimsy. Or were you trying to keep the water out?
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that the biggest problem having the midrange drivers share the same air space as the subwoofer was that the subwoofer would be pushing air around and working against the midrange drivers. I figured that anything that would separate the "air space" would be sufficient for my needs. The soup containers are certainly thinner than MDF, but they're relatively rigid when glued to the inside of the suitcase wall. Probably a simplistic understanding, but it definitely sounds better to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: