Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bumper acne
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tr0utmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: bumper acne Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

can you see the ugly rectangle?? thats where a sticker used to be.
so ive been removing rust and trying to polish my bumpers for some time now. no matter how much i polish they still have those little spots on them.
how can i remove this? can i even remove this without without having them resurfaced?
Question
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 0000 steel wool. I have also read of people wet sanding chrome with good results (1500-2000 grit, then buff). I would practice on a spare first, though. For any rust, use pure lemon juice and a toothbrush. When you get it clean with no visible rust, wax it, and keep it waxed.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: bumper acne Reply with quote

tr0utmann wrote:
can you see the ugly rectangle?? thats where a sticker used to be.
so ive been removing rust and trying to polish my bumpers for some time now. no matter how much i polish they still have those little spots on them.
how can i remove this? can i even remove this without without having them resurfaced?
Question

Those "ugly" rectangles you are trying to "remove" are the parts of the bumper that are in better condition. The bumper was protected by the stickers.

If you want the rectangles to not be visible, focus your polishing on the areas outside the rectangles. Wink
tr0utmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
Try 0000 steel wool. I have also read of people wet sanding chrome with good results (1500-2000 grit, then buff). I would practice on a spare first, though. For any rust, use pure lemon juice and a toothbrush. When you get it clean with no visible rust, wax it, and keep it waxed.

thanks for the tip ill try that today.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tr0utmann wrote:
panicman wrote:

thanks for the tip ill try that today.

Don't use steel whool unless you have a very good buffer. You will see microscopic lines/scratches in the chrome in the sun. Only use steal whool if the chrome is in real bad shape. A good fine abrasive is tooth paste and a rag then polish the crap out of it. I have also used cola to get microscopic blemishes off. The acid in the coke is a mild abrasive and eats the microscopic blemishes. Lemon juice is also good as Tr0utman said but a little expensive. Cheap cola is easy toi find also.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: bumper acne Reply with quote

When I first read your title, my immediate thought was a bumper full of rusty pock marks, of which there is little to no hope for Razz

Upon seeing the pictures though, I call what you have there "ghosts" Laughing
Same thing can happen to window glass. The past is haunting that bumper blade!
Shocked Laughing

WD-40 wrote:

Those "ugly" rectangles you are trying to "remove" are the parts of the bumper that are in better condition. The bumper was protected by the stickers.

I agree, the sticker has kept off the natural effects of sun, acid rain and road dust from aging the chrome.

I honestly don't see any amount of cleaning, polishing or spritzing with anything removing it entirely.
There was a sticker on the donor blade that's on my car now, a little 2" square from an old college parking pass. Took the sticker off, cleaned the polished the blade with XXX Chrome Cleaner and 0000 Steel wool when I installed the bumper a few years ago. Now that it has weathered awhile you can hardly notice it, but it's still there.

Keep the bumper cleaned and polished of course.
Exposing to the sun and weather a few years will even it out a little.

Or, put a bigger, better sticker over it Very Happy

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try water and foil. Wet bumper and scrub it with foil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: