Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Man, the scammers are right on top of it
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Man, the scammers are right on top of it Reply with quote

Listed a car last evening - within an hour I get a text from 530-487-1158 "Hello, Hope in good condition? 64 Bug Price: 2500" I reply with "Ad describes it" (car is not in good condition). Then I get back "Okay, what is your final price". I send back "Where are you? Would like you to look at it. And don't even ponder a scam."

For some reason, my potential buyer didn't respond. Wonder why..... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though, back tracing that number, it's a landline in Chico, CA. Not that it couldn't be a scam... could be someone looking for a cheap project since they'd have to pay for shipping across the country. But then, I'm not sure I could text from a land line.... maybe through Skype or something Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one in Chico, Ca is going to look for a VW cross country. $2500 64 vws are everywhere out there.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - They had texted me again this morning - told them to just call me. They didnt. I then texted back asking if people actually fall for this crap. My daughters boyfriend had something like this recently - was selling an old Explorer on Craigslist - the usual - sent a check for more than they were asking for and wanted them to wire transfer only a portion of the overage back.......

And yeah - on my car - its really more like a $1700 CA car - just saving someone on the east coast the shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are hoping your "final price" will be far below the $2000 maximum wire transfer value by Western Union or the other one at Walmart. They'll try to get you to accept a fake (fedexed) cashiers check for a believable $1940.50 (to include a trucking service), and ask you to cash it out at your bank and send them a (legitimate) wire transfer to a specified account (identified as the trucking co. to cover costs). By the time your bank notifies you the check is bad- your bank account is frozen, and they've cashed the WT within minutes of your required text to them letting them know the funds are available. They will tell you the truck is due at your house at 5- which means you have to get the transfer going and get your ass back home to be there for the truck that will never show up.

You are in effect laundering money for them by trading bad money for good.
Yes, I know a thing or two about this scam- had a senior lady neighbor fall for it last month.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - had them attempt it for a property that I manage that we rent for events. I strung them along as long as I could. The stories that I got were actually funny and they were getting confused on occasion on who they were scamming because the details got screwed up. Got the "overpayment" check fedexed and went back and forth with them a bunch of times requesting the corrected amount and the storied I got were funny as hell.
Hank356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: I got several texts from this guy as well 530 487 1158 scam Reply with quote

Yea this guy tried to buy some of my headlight grills for early bus and beetles.
He wanted to set up a company to pick them up after sending me fake paypal emails.
He is a scammer and should not be dealt with at all.
He is trolling SAMBA to find someone that will fall for his BS.
BEWARE
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of these people emailed you, please forward me the emails so I can block their email from using the site and see if they have emailed anyone.

Obviously I cannot stop text or phone messaging.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If any of these people emailed you, please forward me the emails so I can block their email from using the site and see if they have emailed anyone.

Obviously I cannot stop text or phone messaging.

You can't? But Everett, I thought you were the "Great and Powerful"..... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: