Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank doesn't drop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
XperB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank doesn't drop Reply with quote

I'm trying to wake up an 82 diesel Westy after a very long sleep, and am now trying to remove the fuel tank to reseal, etc. Instructions from Kayakwesty, Van-again, and a search of this forum state that after removing the straps, the back of the tank will "drop down". I disconnected the fuel lines and removed the straps and nothing happened. After much prying I got the back of the tank down 1.5 to 2 inches and the driver side of the tank down maybe 3 inches, but I still cannot see any of the vent lines I need to disconnect. Any suggestions? Is there anything other than the fuel filler that is likely to be holding it up?
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front edge is seated on the frame rail. Pull it back about an inch. The top vent lines and fuel level sender wiring prevent a full drop..so disconnect as soon as you have room to do so. Prying doesn't sound right.

The vent lines are removed by reaching through the wheel wells, over the frame rail.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you already removed the fuel filler pipe?!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the vent lines get caught on the ebrake cable or some of the hoses/clamps that runs over the top of tank. Bit of pita, youll have to feel around up there if possible thru the wheel wells. Also try raising it back up and shimmy it from side to side to help get it to release. Coincidentally, when you get it down, itll make sense Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XperB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not prying hard enough to damage anything.

As for removing the filler neck, that seemed to be the next thing to try, but both sets of instructions state that the rear of the tank "drops", then you deal with the vent lines, and only then do you remove the filler neck. For example, this is from the Kayakwesty site:

"6. The rear of tank will now drop down.

7. Cut the two lines from the side of the tank that go to the expansion tanks
above front wheels you are going to replace them no matter how good they look.

8. Now pop loose the other plastic expansion lines from the top of the tank.

9. Unscrew the three screws that fasten the filler neck into the body and
push it into the tank farther so you can move it over to the wheel well.

10. Pull out the filler neck slowly."

I interpreted the instructions as meaning that the dropping of the rear of the tank would allow me to reach in over the top of the tank to disconnect the vent lines. I also interpreted them as meaning that the front of the tank would stay engaged on the lip of the cross-member until after the vent lines and filler neck were removed. So I guess I ignore the instructions and try Plan B.

Thank to both of you.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 82 diesel filler pipe is large diameter rigid metal. Starting during 84 models VW switched to a smaller diameter and flexible filler pipe but left the hole in the frame the same size. So you can move later tanks more with the filler still in place than you can with an 82 diesel.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: