Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smoking Ignition!!! Lordy Lordy...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Smoking Ignition!!! Lordy Lordy... Reply with quote

Well the Colonel went to Food Lion last night to get some fried chicken breader. No kidding. Came back out and put the key and the key would not turn. So I wiggled and jiggled for a minute as gently as I could and the key turned. But the key seemed to turn too far. The old bus started but the starter stayed engaged. I shut it off and I tried again and did not turn as far and it seemed to be okay started up. Noticed a bit of smoke coming from under the dash when I made the short two block ride home. I am not sure what to make of this. I did look around on Samba and I came across:
1. Ignition switch
2. Ignition barrel

I have 1970 Bus.
Not sure what to think. I would be thankful for any guidance my good friends at Samba can offer so the Colonel can ride again!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignition switch electrical section is likely to blame for the not turning/turning too far/starter sticking on deal, but the smoke is interesting as there's nothing in there to provide a ground path. Any other things connected or added to your coil like a fuel pump?, did the switch die from old age or was it's life shortened by a heavy load (installed or accidental) somewhere in the ignition circuit?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The ignition switch electrical section is likely to blame for the not turning/turning too far/starter sticking on deal, but the smoke is interesting as there's nothing in there to provide a ground path. Any other things connected or added to your coil like a fuel pump?, did the switch die from old age or was it's life shortened by a heavy load (installed or accidental) somewhere in the ignition circuit?

I was thinking ignition switch too. From the posts I have read on Samba it seemed to match up. The smoke thing just mystifies me. I do not have an electric fuel pump. The smoke drifted up from the hot cold vent levers on the dash. I know I have a hodge podge wiring system from a previous owner. That old yellow bakelite fuse box has been reworked with the push and twist glass fuses. My guess is maybe that wiring is grounding out somewhere? I do intend to fix this back to stock but I had delayed this since everything was working as is.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy~

this is what I suspect nuked the wiring on my 70 deluxe. the electrical 1/2 took a shit, and the contacts inside fell apart grounding out on the case, nuking the 15 lead (black wire) all the way to the coil, taking out the harness from the switch all the way to the tail lights.

I would inspect the ignition switch for sure, and if ANY of the insulation looks like beef jerky, you have a decision to make.

also, ditch the crappy yellow fuse box, and get a later one. switch out the terminals as needed

at any rate, my bus needed a new harness due to this mess. it cooked everything in the main harness to the rear of the bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks Skills, is that on the Suparubus?

I toasted a black wire in the harness years ago when the harness running across the fan shroud came out of it's bent tab and rested on the throttle cable, luckily the throttle cable melted before the wire and the PO's twisted/scotch taped repair hidden down beside the left headlight added enough resistance to save the harness from complete destruction. I guess if a switch gets so worn that the contacts get scrambled up and touch the case then there is a possibility for smoke. I'm just suggesting that the Colonel locates the cause as it'd suck to cook a new switch if the issue was elsewhere, smoke from the heater lever slots says hazard switch or the wire from it to the ignition switch to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I didn't know it when I bought it. it did not happen to me, but a p/o and I was left to clean up the mess.

a good friend supplied me with a NOS switch. I did not feel bad about opening that blue and white box and using it's contents.

the buSTi now has a new harness, and works great.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Ignition Switch Removal Reply with quote

1970 Fuse Box Conversions

1970 Ignition Switch Removal

Here is a nice awkward little job that sometimes just has to be done.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do appreciate the guidance. Looks like a new ignition switch is in order. Am I right that I should start with just the electrical half? I will take a careful look at everything this weekend to see which wire is cooked. I read about the wire from the 30 plug to the headlamp? Just guessing right now. I do think I am going to proceed with a proper fusebox set up. I will report back in. The advice and links are greatly appreciated. Looks like I might be able to tackle this one.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: All Finished! Reply with quote

Well I finally had a chance to complete the ignition switch repair. All went well. It was not too bad at all really. I pulled that metal plate out from steering wheel column. A bit of reach to get the screws all the way in the back of the dash. One little itty bitty screw out of the ignition housing and the electrical half of the switch wiggled out just like it is supposed to. This was definetly the problem. One end that goes into the ignition cylinder was all worn out and causing my troubles. The back end of the electrical switch where all the wires are had popped out of the metal housing that holds it all together. I bet this is where my ground out and smoking wires began. I did have some cooked wires. I was able to replace them and I feel good about it. Should hold up. The new switch slid right in. It took my a few minutes and swear words to figure out you have to put the key in and turn it to the first position for everything to seat right for the itty bitty screw. Put all back together and started right up and around the block I went. No trouble and no smoke! Turned all the switches on lights and so on. Everything seems to be good. Now I have a new problem though. My fuel pump that I just replaced with NOS has leak. So I have a rebuild kit and about to begin that process. Always something! Certainly plan to redo the wiring and fuse box too. Need to bone up on some know how first. Thanks to everybody for the help. It was needed and appreciated. The Colonel salutes you.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear!

hope you got a quality switch. the chinese are known to blow apart or just fail pretty quickly

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a switch from Wolfsburg West. They have given me good stuff before. Hope the switch is good too. Seems to be better quality than what I pulled out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: