Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who can I talk to re diesel fuelpump in Sambaland?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Who can I talk to re diesel fuelpump in Sambaland? Reply with quote

I'm quite confused about what a 1.9 TD AAZ fuel pump is. Some say there is a pump in the fuel tank to get fuel to the main fuel pump. Others say there is only one fuel pump with two internal pumps;; one to bring the fuel from the tank to the pump and a second one to deliver the fuel to the engine. Having dropped my fuel tank for a complete redo, I do not believe that there is a fuel pump anywhere near the tank.

I can't afford a new one so where are some places to look for the 1.9 TD AAZ fuel pump.and say my engine is out of a 97 or 98 what years have the same specs. I know that the AAZ was used in the Jetta and the Gulf. Any other sources.

Any help, input, info is GREATLY appreciated, I'm stymeed Rolling Eyes Confused

I tried searching in samba classifieds X 6 with no results
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AAZ and other pre-TDI engines operate solely on the injection pump, the big hairy unit looking up at you with all the steel fuel lines coming out of it going into the head. It has an internal "lift" pump that draws fuel out of the tank, and the main pump that pressurizes the fuel, delivers to the injectors and sets the timing of the engine. Purely mechanical, driven by the timing belt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I recall your van was a bit of a hodgepodge; it may well have an electric pump somewhere in the line, but it should be fairly obvious if you follow the fuel line. Some folks like to have an additional small electric pump, but that's strictly an add-on, never from the factory in the vans, and it shouldn't affect the engine performance. ...unless it's clogged.

If you need a new injection pump, probably the best place is www.vwdiesel.net but you have to follow the sign-up procedure to post.
The AAZ was never sold here in the US, so it's going to be a bit of a hunt, but they can be had. Also maybe try Quality German automotive in California, he imports AAZs all the time from Germany. http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com Give them a call to see if they have any loose ones.

AAZ pumps on vwdiesel.net;
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=35115.0
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=35069.0

What / who is leading you to thinking a new pump is in order? That's kind of a big-ticket item, and a few hours of labor involved.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1220978 here's one in this classifieds... Shocked Yikes. New unit, I guess.

There are people selling Chinese copies, please beware, a new pump does not cost $400, you're better off with a used German pump.

Hope this helps!

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you MUCHLY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Giles at Performance Diesel Injection. He's done work for you already and has a good reputation as one of the best pump rebuilders around.

It is not a cheap proposition to rebuild the pump as it has to be removed from the engine first. While you are in there it is always good practice to change the timing belt. You will have to reset the timing too which I think requires a couple special tools.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
What / who is leading you to thinking a new pump is in order?

Mechanical injection pumps typically last for many hundreds of thousands of miles...500,000+ without issue, provided decent quality fuel is used. There are some situations of catastrophic failures but they are quite rare. What is leading you to believe you need a new injection pump?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have an answer for the questions posted. I do have more questions. Answers to them may help the OP. They will definitely help me! I thank you in advance and am not trying to jack a thread. My buddy is trying to MTDI the same engine(guessing here, we talking AHU) that is in Daizee. He has a 97 AHU. I think he should just get the electronics working. He wants to do a full mechanical pump. He has had some engine issues come up with his current pump. I'm concerned running lean could cause engine damage, not just low power? Thanks for the links, I'll research what is listed. Is there a good pump builder who has a fuel bench and builds a pump that will work well on the AHU?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee's engine is an AAZ and which is an IDI turbo diesel. They came stock with a mechanical pump.

Running lean will not hurt a diesel. They basically always run lean (no throttle) with idle being 100:1+ AFR. A properly built mTDI pump will put out the same power as any eTDI setup and can easily be tuned for much better than stock eTDI performance. The performance of my un-intercooled mTDI ALH vanagon is BETTER than my 2002 ALH Jetta wagon (which runs flawlessly). When I intercool my ALH Vanagon it will only be that much better. The reliability with a properly built mTDI pump is much better. Fuel economy is similar. I enjoy electronics and do electronics projects as a hobby, for fun, and think that doing a full electronics TDI conversion would be fun, but I have never been able to justify the fun considering the lower quality of the finished product over a properly built mTDI.

I do not know of anyone who currently builds mTDI pumps who has a test bench other than Giles and I would not recommend him for building mTDI pumps. I know of a couple people who build high-quality mTDI pumps without a test bench and test/tune them by installing them in a vehicle. Also, a Land Rover 200/300TDI pump is an almost direct bolt-on mTDI pump and the somewhat hard to find VW LT28 IS a bolt-on mTDI pump for the AHU. I would NOT recommend getting an mTDI pump from Prothe, or Hans Diesel or any of the other plethora of names that Pete Rothenbacker goes by.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine is a TD not a TDI.

Thanks for your replies. Today Scooby was flat bedded to a professional VW Diesel expert. He should know tomorrow what the problem is and what the fix is. While my mechanic of 27 years services diesels, he does not want to work on the engines. He decided this am that we'd send it to the expert. WHEW

I'm just really stressed out because I set up two test drives for Fri and now don't know when the van will be ready. Oh well. I didn't sleep last night worrying over who was going to fix it. I did not like my mechanic's first choice but was totally happy with the 2nd choice
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Here in Portland Oregon... Reply with quote

...we have Diesel Fuel Injection Services. http://www.dfispdx.com/ I'm sure there are good shops all over the country. Maybe ask your local heavy truck shops where they have injection system work done.
I have had them (DFIS) rebuild my injectors and pumps for both my Vanagon and my boat and am quite happy with their work.
As UncommonVW says, "it is not a cheap proposition to rebuild a pump". Mine was in "pretty good but worn" condition and cost over $500. I am helping a friend whose Diesel Vanagon got fueled up with gasoline. That pump would cost almost $1K to rebuild but I found one off of a Diesel Rabbit that should work OK.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, there are many shops that can rebuild an AAZ injection pump. There are very few who will build an adequate mTDI injection pump.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew is very correct! Once you want to deviate from a spec build into a custom one the field of builders gets very narrow. The reason being, pump calibration is difficult and very expensive when you don't get it right.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would supply the results of this fix. Apparently fuel was draining out of fuel pump. Bero Motors put 2 in line one way valves to prevent this. I don't really understand the original problem but it was not the fuel pump. Any way thanks for all your input
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They put a band-aid on the problem. Sounds like a bad shaft seal and a check valve isn't going to solve the problem. At some point the seal will leak worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: